Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

7,747 for our game against the Bulldogs at Giants Stadium

Shouldn't be surprised. There hasn't really been any growth in GWS or Gold Coast attendances regarding how many of their own turn up.
Suns crowds looked better over the last 12 months but that is because Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond go up there and bring 10+ of their own.

The Giants seem to have more support in Canberra than Sydney itself. There were no NRL games in Sydney all weekend either.

Manuka draws a large neutral base that just want to watch a footy game and gets a decent opposition team turnout which adds to their numbers which Olympic Park doesn't get.

For example, the Saints game in Olympic Park last year and the Saints game in Manuka this year, the Saints fan turnout in Manuka was well above anything we get in Sydney Olympic Park by far. I'd imagine it's similar for most other games in Manuka.

I think if you put it in context, an NRL team from South Sydney got 8k against an NRL team from Western Sydney just a few wks ago at the same location.

In saying that, I do think if the giants were a second Sydney team playing a split of games at showgrounds and the scg that they'd be a fair bit bigger now, but the club doesn't wanna do that and I can see why in some respects. I dunno if the stadium location brings along many people 'for a look', like other locations do, despite it being a good little botique stadium itself.

I think if you put it in context, an NRL team from South Sydney got 8k against an NRL team from Western Sydney just a few wks ago at the same location.

It was wet then too.

In saying that, I do think if the giants were a second Sydney team playing a split of games at showgrounds and the scg that they'd be a fair bit bigger now, but the club doesn't wanna do that and I can see why in some respects. I dunno if the stadium location brings along many people 'for a look', like other locations do, despite it being a good little botique stadium itself.
Sydney Olympic Park has many news articles of the Government trying to get it to be a vibrant location but outside of large events it doesn't do small / lower drawing events well at all. Hence, not many teams anchor themselves out of Olympic Park. Swans couldn't wait to stop playing out at Olympic Park and what do we do? Anchor ourselves there.

The metro and light rail will help immensely but it's too long away.

The amount of youngens/kids at these games is a huge plus though and the fact it is a good boutique stadium. Love the sightlines from there.

It was wet then too.

Sydney Olympic Park has many news articles of the Government trying to get it to be a vibrant location but outside of large events it doesn't do small / lower drawing events well at all. Hence, not many teams anchor themselves out of Olympic Park. Swans couldn't wait to stop playing out at Olympic Park and what do we do? Anchor ourselves there.

The metro and light rail will help immensely but it's too long away.

The amount of youngens/kids at these games is a huge plus though and the fact it is a good boutique stadium. Love the sightlines from there.

Well Ross Oakley did say a minimum 25 years required in not traditional areas to build a supporter base. So that accounts for those kids growing up and having their own kids that become fans too.

I've got a mate that grew up in western sydney, he said they should have based themselves in Parramatta, I think you said the same previously. There is land next to the rectangular stadium there that could have been developed into an oval stadium, similar to the scg and rectangular stadium being next door to one another.

Screenshot_20240518-212149_Maps.jpg

Well Ross Oakley did say a minimum 25 years required in not traditional areas to build a supporter base. So that accounts for those kids growing up and having their own kids that become fans too.

I've got a mate that grew up in western sydney, he said they should have based themselves in Parramatta, I think you said the same previously. There is land next to the rectangular stadium there that could have been developed into an oval stadium, similar to the scg and rectangular stadium being next door to one another.

View attachment 1992882

I agree, Parramatta would be infinitely better.

I don't follow the cricket but I have seen a couple posts online that Sydney Thunder's attendance rates at Engie stadium being quite low compared to Sydney Sixers (that play at the SCG). Sydney Thunder play some games at Manuka and that Sydney Thunder should relocate to Canberra/Manuka. Sound familiar?

Quite interesting given how popular cricket is in the Parramatta region but seemingly people don't want to attend games at Olympic Park. Could very well be many other reasons but I don't follow cricket to be across the detail, just interesting how two clubs from different sports sharing the same stadium seem to struggle attendance wise.

Not sure what's so important about the discussion about Swans fans leaving early. It's a team that didn't have any local fans 30 years ago. 40,000 fans, 90% of them were not fans or children of fans who were going to the footy 30 years ago, unlike other teams.

I think it's great, because much like "run clubs" and going to Greece in July, the Swans is fast becoming a bit of a status thing for a certain youth demographic in Sydney. It can only be a good thing.

If we get 80,000 rock up next Saturday night to watch Dreamtime it will be the crowd of the decade.
Public reserve is sold out and MCC reserved seating is very close to being exhausted as well. No doubt both will be full of Essendon.
AFL is selling level 4 back but not much has been taken so there will be around 2,000 empty seats between Q19-Q26 (top of Q27-28 sold as part of public reserve)
Richmond reserved seat turnout is going to be a watch.
I’d think it will be between 78-82

If we get 80,000 rock up next Saturday night to watch Dreamtime it will be the crowd of the decade.
Lol it will solely depend on the Bomber army and how much they want to see us beat your mob! Tiger fans may be turned off after tonight’s pathetic performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19,265 at Marvel. And we all deserve a medal for sitting through this garbage.
It’s a fine crowd all things considered.
Saints going crap, Freo bring nobody and a poor drawing time slot. Would have been nice for it to hit 20K.

Top 10 (Collingwood vs Non-Vic H&A crowds in Melbourne)
  1. Rd 1 2024 = Collingwood vs Sydney (78,933)
  2. Rd 8 2023 = Collingwood vs Sydney (71,463)
  3. Rd 15 2023 = Collingwood vs Adelaide (65,930)
  4. Rd 6 2024 = Collingwood vs Port Adelaide (65,834)
  5. Rd 9 2013 = Collingwood vs Sydney (65,306)
  6. Rd 10 2024 = Collingwood vs Adelaide (63,925)
  7. Rd 21 2007 = Collingwood vs Sydney (63,842)
  8. Rd 13 2012 = Collingwood vs West Coast (62,957)
  9. Rd 19 2003 = Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions (61,868)
  10. Rd 18 2023 = Collingwood vs Fremantle (61,157)
Updated list.

Shouldn't be surprised. There hasn't really been any growth in GWS or Gold Coast attendances regarding how many of their own turn up.
Suns crowds looked better over the last 12 months but that is because Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond go up there and bring 10+ of their own.
Attendances have not grown at all in the last decade for either GWS or GC. These teams were added purely for increased media deals. You could have put them anywhere (should have been Canberra & Tas, we would be seeing 20k each week). They will always be the two lowest clubs for attendance. Unless we get an NT team.

Attendances have not grown at all in the last decade for either GWS or GC. These teams were added purely for increased media deals. You could have put them anywhere (should have been Canberra & Tas, we would be seeing 20k each week). They will always be the two lowest clubs for attendance. Unless we get an NT team.
Uh no, these teams were added for what they'll provide after 25-30 years, not after 12 years. The AFL has always been clear on this, and it's impossible for an informed person to still not understand.

No doubt you would've been posting about the failure of the Swans back in 1994, had BigFooty been a thing.

Collingwood will create an incredible record this year for crowds against teams from another state.

We still haven't had a home game against a Vic team - our first one will be in Round 12 with our first at the MCG not until King's Birthday.

Despite this we're averaging 61,531 for our home games this season. And now there's only 1 left to go against a non-Vic side - Brisbane in Round 23 at the G. No reason at all to think that won't lift the average further. We're going to smash our record set last year and be about 10k better than any other team ever.

Highest average home crowd v teams from a different state:

View attachment 1992579

I think the Collingwood v Brisbane game will draw close to 75,000 as the lions you think will bring along 10,000 of there own fans due to the Fitzroy connection

Yes and no. We can thank ‘blockbuster status’ for the big crowd. Truth is, if tickets were released on Monday, they’d be lucky to get 65,000. Tickets were locked in before the Tiger train crashed. And will Tiger fans turn up in big numbers next week? I reckon it could be ~75k.

Yes and no. We can thank ‘blockbuster status’ for the big crowd. Truth is, if tickets were released on Monday, they’d be lucky to get 65,000. Tickets were locked in before the Tiger train crashed. And will Tiger fans turn up in big numbers next week? I reckon it could be ~75k.

Agree most have bought their tickets so locked in. Ill be there regardless but the last two weeks have been as bad as I've seen in a very long time. Losing which we can accept like early on in the year when we were giving it our all but last two games Ave 104 point losses seems to show that the effort is not there which is one thing supporters of clubs detest.
Injuries are the main reason as we have 17 on the injury list and 9 walk up into our best 23 who are out.

I do think it'll be between 75-80K, hoping by the time the game has come around our fans have moved on from last nights thrashing.

Even if it's the idea of the media deals, isn't the logic that they were placed in larger media markets part of the reason they were expanded, contributing to the media rights?

GWS get reasonable sponsorship deals despite their lack of large numbers of engaged fans because the amount of people that are actually exposed to the sponsor's logos in the first place is already larger than most AFL teams and can only increase from here, for instance.

The general AFL 'brand' also gets exposure from (in theory) double the presence in Sydney and SEQ, which also contributes to the media rights. Even if people aren't rocking up to the game, the general awareness of more games of AFL footy in those regions in theory helps the code in the long term.

Uh no, these teams were added for what they'll provide after 25-30 years, not after 12 years. The AFL has always been clear on this, and it's impossible for an informed person to still not understand.

No doubt you would've been posting about the failure of the Swans back in 1994, had BigFooty been a thing.
No, the Swans proved in the mid - late 80s that they could draw huge crowds. So we all knew that the potential was there and it was simply a matter of getting it right.

There has not been any growth in footy in Western Sydney at all from the introduction of the Giants. All the growth is via the Swans. It is fixable, but to continue blindly along the current path just because ‘it will take 25 years’ is simply folly. Do you think the plan was that crowds would be comparably worse in year 13 compared to year one? Total AFL crowds have grown 28% since 2012, GWS less than that.

It was Demetriou that stuffed up by bringing in 2 teams within 2 years, in a rushed manner. The idiot didn't realise that if you space them out 3 or 5 years apart, you get half the media money anyway with team 17 and then the other half when team 18 comes in regardless.

What bringing two in at the same time did was:

• make it a rushed job where both clubs were using gyms in tin sheds or the rooty hill rsl. Inadequate facilities for years.
  • getting stadiums built in non ideal locations for both clubs. If they waited a couple of years in western sydney, they could have piggy backed off the bbl franchise and Parramatta stadium redevelopment. The suns could have built their stadium at Southport and used the sharks moniker, a much better location than Carrara.
  • it split all the best afl coaches, staff, admin + potential mature aged recruits across 2 new franchises at the same time, making them both weaker.
  • it killed the draft for a number of years, affecting the competition on field.

It's why you don't rush decisions like this, you can tell they've learnt their lesson with Tasmania, but unfortunately you only get one chance at starting a new club successfully and Andy D was clueless.

No, the Swans proved in the mid - late 80s that they could draw huge crowds. So we all knew that the potential was there and it was simply a matter of getting it right.

There has not been any growth in footy in Western Sydney at all from the introduction of the Giants. All the growth is via the Swans. It is fixable, but to continue blindly along the current path just because ‘it will take 25 years’ is simply folly. Do you think the plan was that crowds would be comparably worse in year 13 compared to year one? Total AFL crowds have grown 28% since 2012, GWS less than that.
...They averaged crowds of 8k at the Showground in their first year, and they're averaging 12k there this year (with a derby still to come). 50% growth. Well above the leaguewide rate.

Quite a bit more promising than the comparison of the Swans' first and 13th year in Sydney, wherein average crowds had been cut in half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back