Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the time about the state leagues/country leagues and how there would be so so many great players that don’t get picked up.

We all get fascinated/obsessed about the AFL “pathway” and private school system and forget about how many gun players aged 22-24 have missed that and are dominating leagues. Once upon a time the Hawks would have part time recruiters all over Aus looking for any small advantage.

I would love our club to heavily invest in this area and be AFL leaders..

We are playing in such a diluted space now and it’s only going to get worse when Tassie enters.

Any small advantage!!!!!

Someone I'd be interested in throwing a very late pick at (with the prospect of a better chance to play) would be Brodie McLaughlin.

A key forward picked up as an SSP by the Gold Coast who have an inflated and reducing list and have a swathe of key forwards, with 2 more highly touted key forwards about to come in. Would basically be for free and has looked fantastic in the VFL this year.

Averaged 16 disposals, 7 marks and 8 score involvements this season. Kicked 51 goals in 18 games! Is 25 years old and not hulking key forward size unfortunately (more the Gunston size) but has good speed, leap and smarts. May not be any better a prospect than Ryan or Greene but should be gettable for a nothing (i.e. otherwise unused) pick and could be the goods.

The only other decent key forward VFL option is probably Hudson Garoni. 23 years old, proper KPF size, unlucky not to be drafted in his year and just kicked 40 goals from 17 games for Werribee. Averaged 13 touches, 7 score involvements and 4.6 shots at goal.

Not many other genuine key forward prospects in the VFL with Maric, Ryan, etc having already been picked up. No one in the SANFL worth our time either.

Last edited:

I know one and he said we hear 1/10th of some of the stuff that goes on with some players and what they need to do to keep them out of the papers.

Young dudes with heaps of cash comes with its own challenges.

Lucky the AFL probably provide manger accreditation so they get to use the AFL protection to protect their players.

Imagine if it was the wild west out there where the AFL didn't control everything?

Don't take everything as gospel.

We all appreciate the ITK's input on this board, but as stated many times, situations are fluid.

McKay hasn't formally made his decision yet. Things can change.
I was kind've thinking the same thing in that wouldn't it be funny with everyone now sh*tting on Mckay it then comes out that he's chosen us 😂

FWIW I've always thought he'll end up at Sydney but his manager is just trying to extract as much $$$ as he can by using us and the the *. I guess we shall see.

We have not tried for Zerk, Smith, Gresham or Ryan
Don't believe much of what the media say

We have expressed a future interest for Smith

Don't worry - 'SlEePy MaRk' bashing is a sport this time of year until next year's crop of players he has brought in pay off and people pipe down for a bit.

Esava :crossmark:
McKay :crossmark:
Henry :crossmark:
Zerk Thatcher:crossmark:
Bailey Smith :crossmark:
Gresham :crossmark:
Liam Ryan :crossmark:

Sleepy Mark taken more swings and misses than Happy Gilmore, fortunately no real game changers in that list.

All focus should now be on that Suns pick 4.

Speaking of swings and misses, Happy’s weakness was his short game …

TRADE TROUBLE

CLUBS are expecting plenty of trade stand-offs this year as the value of picks after the top 30 decreases in the eyes of list managers and recruiters.

With a shallow draft pool expected – clubs are predicting less than 60 picks are used at the national draft – there is set to be a flow-on for a number of deals that otherwise may be worth second- and third-round selections.
Clubs opting to use three or fewer draft picks may simply not see a value in later draft picks being exchanged for wantaway players, with impasses expected to be common in the trade period due to clubs simply not wanting to use picks past a certain range.

It will likely leave clubs pushing to instead trade for future selections, but the reverse effect of the draft class is that clubs keen to trade in players this year will be largely wanting to use 2023 selections to get deals done. – Callum Twomey
Another compelling reason I’m not upset about missing “marquee players”. Can’t say I would begrudge the HFC missing out on the bickering and posturing for overinflated players value from opposing teams. The ridiculousness of some of the player assays defies belief if not laughable. A blessing if we don’t feel compelled to trade players, instead clubs need to satisfy us for a change. Wouldn’t that be nice?

Disagree on many of those - Ballard, Murphy, Collins and Balta in particular.

Ballard and Balta are in completely different universe to McKay. And I'd still prefer Murphy and Collins as KDs.

You're taking the piss with Kemp, Payne and McGovern (2).

I'd have all of them playing before McKay.

Also Cox, Wilkie, Sicily, Stewart, Ridley and Lever aren't traditional KPD's.

They may not be traditional KDs, but they are all more versatile and a better fit for what we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is "sleepy mark" our list manager? People not liking what he's doing? Thought he was alright 👍

Sometimes it is tongue in cheek but I think the critics were stacking up last year. With some of the histrionics I have seen about not signing McKay or Henry I can never tell if it is genuine criticism now or taking the piss.

Is "sleepy mark" our list manager? People not liking what he's doing? Thought he was alright 👍
Personally, I lean into the "Sleepy" Mark trope as sign of respect not derision. He has been building a good list over the last few years and was also instrumental in identifying great talent when Wright was in charge.

Sometimes it is tongue in cheek but I think the critics were stacking up last year. With some of the histrionics I have seen about not signing McKay or Henry I can never tell if it is genuine criticism now or taking the piss.

It’s probably a bit of both

ITS THE SAME ARTICLE AS YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!
LMAO this is literally the only thing in the article about essendon

"Essendon has emerged as a leading contender for Kangaroos free agent Ben McKay."

that's literally it! they don't even have "unnamed sources" saying that Essendon are leading the race. just that they've put forward an offer loool

EDIT: MY APOLOGIES GUYS THEY DO HAVE THOSE UNNAMED INDUSTRY SOURCES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back