MRP / Trib. 2023 MRP Lotto

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong coach Chris Scott has hit out at the AFL for failing to properly address “dangerous” actions in ruck contests after Mark Blicavs was injured by an errant knee.
Blicavs was running in to compete in a centre bounce ruck contest against Hawthorn’s Lloyd Meek during the first quarter of their Easter Monday clash when Meek raised his left knee.

Blicavs went down holding the right side of his ribcage and came from the field for a significant period of time before being cleared to return by medical staff.

The officiating umpire paid a free kick against Meek for raising his knee, but he was not reported at the time.

Asked if the action warranted a suspension, a frustrated Scott replied, “Yes, it does”.

Carlton’s Tom De Koning was fined $2000 for similarly kneeing Geelong’s Rhys Stanley in a ruck contest in Round 2, leading the AFL to send a memo to clubs advising against the practice.

“You can’t do it,” Scott said.

[PLAYERCARD]Mark Blicavs[/PLAYERCARD] after copping a knee to the ribs from Lloyd Meek during a rucking contest. Picture: Michael Klein

Mark Blicavs after copping a knee to the ribs from Lloyd Meek during a rucking contest. Picture: Michael Klein

“There are two umpires right there. The AFL sent out a memo that couldn’t have been clearer, saying not only is that a free kick but it’s reportable. You cannot do it. So how they missed that is beyond me and it has to be taken out of the game.

“I’ve got no dog in the fight around the penalty for the opposition player.

“I don’t want to see the guy get suspended. It doesn’t help us, anyway. Just stop doing it. That should be the message from the AFL. The disappointing thing is they sent out a memo specifically two weeks ago saying you couldn’t do it and it keeps happening. It’s so dangerous.”

Last edited:
WTF are they waiting for? The incident happened 3 days ago! They must have doubts about him getting off.

View attachment 1656008
They are thinking double forarms at head from behind , how can we word this as to show Mckay was actually trying to tackle. Its quite the conundrum.

I am not sure who said "I don't see the potential for serious injury. The force was minimal", but whoever it was is an absolute knob of the highest quality. I bet if it was someone who has a smaller profile in the game, or played at a lesser club, they would be calling out for him to be suspended immediately. And they would be echoing how this type of action needs to be weeded out of the game. The hypocrisy in these situations is so sickening.

There are players getting suspended for actions that actually don't even injure the player but because their action had the potential to injure them. So in what world does two elbows directed at someone's head, not have the potential to injure someone, even though the force was minimal? I guess the media flogs will be queuing up to provide this answer to ensure McKay doesn't miss a game for such a minor discretion.

And just to be clear here, I don't think he should be suspended, but the fact that others have been done for the potential to injure, then he should also be.

Geelong coach Chris Scott has hit out at the AFL for failing to properly address “dangerous” actions in ruck contests after Mark Blicavs was injured by an errant knee.
Blicavs was running in to compete in a centre bounce ruck contest against Hawthorn’s Lloyd Meek during the first quarter of their Easter Monday clash when Meek raised his left knee.

Blicavs went down holding the right side of his ribcage and came from the field for a significant period of time before being cleared to return by medical staff.

The officiating umpire paid a free kick against Meek for raising his knee, but he was not reported at the time.

Asked if the action warranted a suspension, a frustrated Scott replied, “Yes, it does”.

Carlton’s Tom De Koning was fined $2000 for similarly kneeing Geelong’s Rhys Stanley in a ruck contest in Round 2, leading the AFL to send a memo to clubs advising against the practice.

“You can’t do it,” Scott said.

Mark Blicavs after copping a knee to the ribs from Lloyd Meek during a rucking contest. Picture: Michael Klein

“There are two umpires right there. The AFL sent out a memo that couldn’t have been clearer, saying not only is that a free kick but it’s reportable. You cannot do it. So how they missed that is beyond me and it has to be taken out of the game.

“I’ve got no dog in the fight around the penalty for the opposition player.

“I don’t want to see the guy get suspended. It doesn’t help us, anyway. Just stop doing it. That should be the message from the AFL. The disappointing thing is they sent out a memo specifically two weeks ago saying you couldn’t do it and it keeps happening. It’s so dangerous.”
That act against blicavs was 100% planned. He suffered an injury there which he was recovering from. It was a filthy tactic, NTTAWWT

Going to have to cleanse myself after I say this but Brad Johnson makes a good point here.

McKay had other options. If he'd pushed with open hands, then nobody would be bothered. But if you lead with your forearms and the elbow either hits or gets close to someone's head, then that's a non-football act, and should be penalised.

Blues to appeal McKay suspension​

Carlton will head to the AFL tribunal on Tuesday in a bid to clear Harry McKay to play in Thursday night’s Gather Round opener in Adelaide.

The Blues, having dissected footage of McKay’s high contact on North Melbourne young gun Harry Sheezel on Good Friday, believe they have a good case in a bid to have the star forward free to face the Crows at Adelaide Oval.

The Blues confirmed the appeal on Tuesday morning. The hearing will commence at 5pm.

View attachment 607113031b883d15b2f405db04957bb77d3d9d7d.mp4
The moment: Harry McKay’s contact on Harry Sheezel.Credit: afl.com.au / Twitter

McKay, fresh off his four goals in a 23-point win over the Kangaroos on Good Friday, was offered a one-match ban for striking Sheezel late in the final quarter at Marvel Stadium. Match review officer Michael Christian did not offer an incentive for an early plea.

McKay made contact with Sheezel’s head, the incident graded as careless conduct, medium impact and high contact. However, the Blues were quick to review the contact, with one angle showing McKay’s first contact appears to be high on the left arm of Sheezel, before the forearm slides up around Sheezel’s neck. Sheezel was not hurt and finished the game.

McKay’s absence would be a major blow, for he and fellow marking tall Charlie Curnow combined for 10 goals against the Kangaroos. The Crows are also on the march, having won two straight games.

McKay knows he's not allowed to bump so he leads with his forearm. Not sure anyone in their right mind can say that that is a better option to take.
For one he could have put his arms out to tackle and/or push (even if that gives a free away anyway).

The other option he had, and hear me out here because this will take a while to explain, was to….do nothing.

There isn’t one legitimate reason for him to use both forearms in a shoving motion to the head of a player who had already disposed of the ball.

He gets off, it’s another tick in the box of ‘sports entertainment’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other option he had, and hear me out here because this will take a while to explain, was to….do nothing.

There isn’t one legitimate reason for him to use both forearms in a shoving motion to the head of a player who had already disposed of the ball.

He gets off, it’s another tick in the box of ‘sports entertainment’.
But... He only had about two seconds to decide what to do so in that time he could not possibly have assessed alternatives and changed the action he was trained to do since under 11s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back