List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In practice match today, North vs Bulldogs, Jones at full-back for Bullies is playing extremely well. 9 touches, 5marks in 1st quarter. Did we make a mistake not trying to re-list him? Would have been great backup for Weits.
Made a mistake not just letting him be inactive on the list while the AFL sorted out their bullshit rules.

We would have made finals last year if he was available.

Made a mistake not just letting him be inactive on the list while the AFL sorted out their bullshit rules.

We would have made finals last year if he was available.
People who will not admit that Liam Jones would be a massive asset to us right now are delusional ..... Watching him today take 9 intercept marks , be clearly best on the ground and making all the commentators suggest that Nick larkey is getting so badly beaten that he needs to lead on the angle & North Melbourne adjust Kickin otherwise it's going straight to Liam Jones every single time .... All these aspects remind of the unique skill set that Liam Jones has particularly in reading the eyes of the inbound traffic/ Kicker and being athletic enough/ and courageous enough to throw himself in the air consistently predominantly to intercept the ball or at worst, at least 50/50 it w a spoil and the push forward is thwarted
the year off has done him good and Liam Jones looks as fit as ever & people that think he's got one or two yrs left will be proven wrong in all probability [ Jones does not carry injuries and has a good history of being very durable and I believe he will continue to play at his top level at least until his mid 30s ]
monumental pick up for the Bulldogs who had a weakness in the key position back spots for the last couple of years if not more

Last edited:
On the one hand he's playing well, in a practice match. Against North, who have a new coach, who's arguably a spent force.

On the other hand he completely ****ed us over when it came to covid protocol requirements and effectively ejected himself out of the league for a year.

There's no version of that where he doesn't wind up at a new club. Total disregard for the safety of others.

Not sure what's that got to do with Jones being a good player? He was a big loss, and remains so.
That was not evident last season at all.
Our defence was much better last year than previously when Jones was there, not sure you have a argument to support contrary to that.

We have moved on he is not going to be the difference challenging to be a contender.

Last edited:
That was not evident last season at all.
Our defence was much better last year than previously when Jones was there, not sure you have a argument to support contrary to that.

We have moved on he is not going to be the difference challenging to be a contender.
You understand that Jones played under the terribly inept Teague era.

Didnt get a chance to see him play under a much better Voss era set up, with a more 2 way accountable midfield to assist the defense.

You understand that the pressure on our defense pre 2021 was immense.

Shall we use an example from another team to demonstrate. Zac Dawson, at Hawthorn in their pre 08 years was monstered as a key defender. But under Ross Lyon system at Stk he was able to play a role.

Jones under Voss could have been a difference maker.

In relation to mandates, and him letting carlton down. Your kidding right, he has every right to choose. Reports out of Perth were players at west coast in similar position.

Word on the street is a number of players had dodgy vax certificates, just like whats been exposed in the Tennis.

Let alone, straying into the farcical Australia Open vs. Novak. Move on, the mandates are gone, and Jones sitting 202 out, but coming back 2023 was a feasible option.

I'm not convinced by our key talls outside of Weitering.

Young
Marchy
Durdin
Plowman
Gov

All have question marks for a variety of reasons

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I think Honey is out of contract at the end of this year too so you’d have to think unless there is a pretty significant improvement he won’t get another contract.

Like we went after Acres to address our deficiency on the wings I think we might need to target a proven half forward who can hit the scoreboard as it’s our biggest weakness IMO.

I think Motlop and Durdin have two of the small forward spots but Fisher is too inconsistent for someone approaching 100 games, Martin is too injury prone and Owies is depth at best.

I agree with everything else you’ve suggested.

Fisher had a breakout season in 2022.

Don't write him off off the back of one shitty scratch match in Blacktown!

1677966075979.png

I give you some of the absurdity of 2021/ early 2022.

In 2023 its a different world, and if we treated Jones as inactive, he would return to FB for us and what a coup that would have been.

Park the vitriol, as he was set and forget until what we experienced as a collective

You know he retired, right?

And he waited until after the window had shut so we couldn’t replace him.

The club wanted to go the inactive route but he opted against it, and… you know… retired.

You understand that Jones played under the terribly inept Teague era.

Didnt get a chance to see him play under a much better Voss era set up, with a more 2 way accountable midfield to assist the defense.

You understand that the pressure on our defense pre 2021 was immense.

Shall we use an example from another team to demonstrate. Zac Dawson, at Hawthorn in their pre 08 years was monstered as a key defender. But under Ross Lyon system at Stk he was able to play a role.

Jones under Voss could have been a difference maker.

In relation to mandates, and him letting carlton down. Your kidding right, he has every right to choose. Reports out of Perth were players at west coast in similar position.

Word on the street is a number of players had dodgy vax certificates, just like whats been exposed in the Tennis.

Let alone, straying into the farcical Australia Open vs. Novak. Move on, the mandates are gone, and Jones sitting 202 out, but coming back 2023 was a feasible option.

I'm not convinced by our key talls outside of Weitering.

Young
Marchy
Durdin
Plowman
Gov

All have question marks for a variety of reasons

You are also omitting the fact Young was fantastic last season particularly whilst Weitering was missing.

He is much younger than Jones who has 2years left at his age.
People here placing too much emphasis on practice games, played well against a bottom 4 team with little pressure which suits his style.

Again he made his choice in refusing to abide by the rules and left us in a hole after the draft period had lapsed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have been nice to have Jones for another 50 games but we now have Lemmey for a career as a result.

Young has improved a heap in what was a new role to him and has another season to continue doing so. He has already played some elite games for us which can be forgotten in some of his mistakes.

If he stagnates/regresses there are some great free agents out there to consider. Would love to see him make FB his own though.

If we do lose TDK at the end of the season, we should be having a big crack at Samson Ryan from Richmond.

Ruck/KPF that has a great aggression about him, good hands, good at ground level. Stuck behind a few at the tigs. Would be an astute pick up, and a great pairing with Lemmey/O’Keefe.

Contracted untill 2024 which makes it more difficult, but not impossible.

Fisher had a breakout season in 2022.

Don't write him off off the back of one shitty scratch match in Blacktown!

View attachment 1621828

A breakout season in comparison to his historical output which was pretty poor but IMO nowhere near what’s required and what others in similar roles on other teams are delivering for example Bailey (Lions), Bolton and Martin (Richmond), Gresham (Saints), Gulden (Swans), Coniglio and Greene (Giants), Moore (Hawks), Powell Pepper (Port), Lipinski (Pies) and Ainsworth (Suns).

He needs to keep improving if we are going to be any good. His performance on Friday night was one of bloke who looks pretty content that he has a spot in the team which is disappointing and hardly inspires confidence he has the drive to find a higher level.

You know he retired, right?

And he waited until after the window had shut so we couldn’t replace him.

The club wanted to go the inactive route but he opted against it, and… you know… retired.
Were you privy to the options and discussions, sensitivity applied behind the scenes.

Firstly, he "retired" pre National Draft, Preseason and Rookie drafts. Club had opportunity to replace the key defender position during that period, plus supplimentary list and didnt until mid season draft in 2022, adding Durdin.

So all that, which is called list management, on the club. Little wonder, we ran out of key defenders by June 2022.

As for Jones confidential discussions, his interview in January 2022 suggests he didnt really want to retire and was infact playing in QLD where mandates didnt impact him...

"The 30-year-old will play for the Palm Beach Currumbin Lions in the QAFL instead, costing himself as much as $500,000.

While not being asked about his decision to not get vaccinated, Jones told 7 News that if the mandate changed, he would be open to returning to the league.

Pretty clear to me, he didnt magically decide to play AFL again in 2023, in the same vein as Tim Watson retiring 91/92 then returning 93.

Its simply not that clear cut.

Further to this, its fair to question the clubs management of this, given West Coast players were given to R1 to come to terms with AFL mandates.

ac97ddb25eb8366157930a634606a977.jpg

Were you privy to the options and discussions, sensitivity applied behind the scenes.

Firstly, he "retired" pre National Draft, Preseason and Rookie drafts. Club had opportunity to replace the key defender position during that period, plus supplimentary list and didnt until mid season draft in 2022, adding Durdin.

So all that, which is called list management, on the club. Little wonder, we ran out of key defenders by June 2022.

As for Jones confidential discussions, his interview in January 2022 suggests he didnt really want to retire and was infact playing in QLD where mandates didnt impact him...

"The 30-year-old will play for the Palm Beach Currumbin Lions in the QAFL instead, costing himself as much as $500,000.

While not being asked about his decision to not get vaccinated, Jones told 7 News that if the mandate changed, he would be open to returning to the league.

“I’ve been training really hard and I feel like I’m as fit as I’ve ever been,” Jones said.

“It’s just one of those things that is sort of not in anyone else’s control, but the world’s really.

“So I’ll just train as hard as I can, play as hard as I can and cross that bridge when we come to it.

“In my opinion, I feel like I’ve still got my best football ahead of me.

“Obviously it was tough moving on, but it’s also just a situation we’re in."

Pretty clear to me, he didnt magically decide to play AFL again in 2023, in the same vein as Tim Watson retiring 91/92 then returning 93.

Its simply not that clear cut.

Further to this, its fair to question the clubs management of this, given West Coast players were given to R1 to come to terms with AFL mandates.

ac97ddb25eb8366157930a634606a977.jpg

This pointless shit again.....

A few others in the gun before Fisher
No doubt, he's creative with ball in hand which is valuable. I would love for him to attack the ball carrier though, there's a tendency to go the flashy/soft route and try to play the ball off hands rather than sticking the tackle, it'd increase his value significantly IMO.

No doubt, he's creative with ball in hand which is valuable. I would love for him to attack the ball carrier though, there's a tendency to go the flashy/soft route and try to play the ball off hands rather than sticking the tackle, it'd increase his value significantly IMO.

Most players have deficiencies and or scope for improvement, but when you consider our injury prone types and or players that struggle at the level, think Fisher deserves some credit for having a decent year in 2022

This pointless s**t again.....
Moving right along, yeah it is pointless.

1 side of the argument acknowledges reality. His time with us, just like Gibbs was good.

They dont magically become terrible players when they exit the club. Thats the other side of the argument.

As for calling people loonies. Might want to consider your choice of language.

Open forum, discussing facts with evidence.

What we want is balanced viewpoints dont we ?

Lets close the Jones discussion now, and shift to current day list mgt. Enjoy the sun people!

Moving right along, yeah it is pointless.

1 side of the argument acknowledges reality. His time with us, just like Gibbs was good.

They dont magically become terrible players when they exit the club. Thats the other side of the argument.

As for calling people loonies. Might want to consider your choice of language.

Open forum, discussing facts with evidence.

What we want is balanced viewpoints dont we ?

Lets close the Jones discussion now, and shift to current day list mgt. Enjoy the sun people!

some people think I only turn up when we lose and that I'm negative......

some people think I only turn up when we lose and that I'm negative......
Hows this for positive.

We will play finals this year. I expect it, and confident that we will.

The pre season game wasnt amazing, and particularly compared to our preseason performances entering 2022 season, which showed a clear change in performance to be expected in regular season.

We should beat Richmond R1 and we should expect to, if we are to be amongst the top 8.

I do have reservations on parts of the list, and regardless of our success, it will be trimmed, modified and improved upon come seasons end. Thats called balance.

Geelong added Bruhn, Henry, Bowes and Jhye Clark and they were premiers.

So lets keep the club honest, keep pushing for improvement, and celebrate success when it comes. And I'm sure it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back