Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I could only ever see it being traded on the night unless North offered up something like 2 and 3 before this deadline.
Yeah wont happen. WC have been pretty resolute (good for them - last thing anyone wants is to gift North more charity).
From our point of view things will stay as they are I think. Nothing will happen with WC and we're not trading down so we'll get our man at 4 then pick up McCabe.
Remains to be seen what will happen before the McCabe bid comes in - we have a couple of plays regarding pick swaps so we'll see what happens there.

Yeah wont happen. WC have been pretty resolute (good for them - last thing anyone wants is to gift North more charity).
From our point of view things will stay as they are I think. Nothing will happen with WC and we're not trading down so we'll get our man at 4 then pick up McCabe.
Remains to be seen what will happen before the McCabe bid comes in - we have a couple of plays regarding pick swaps so we'll see what happens there.

Would somehow love to add O’Sullivan to whoever we pick up at 4.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I love Watson, but I'll say it again, I think if we pass on Curtin we'll end up structurally paying for it.

Lewis, Curtin, McCabe has the potential yo set us up for a long time.
There is definitely a compelling argument for Curtin.

The chances of getting an elite small forward with a late or rookie pick are surely much greater than getting an elite big man later in the draft.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

The Wiz would be our most exciting player since Cyril. I don't really understand how anyone could ever go past that.
Feels like there are two ways to go: safe, sensible and structural (Curtin) or roll-the-dice, excitement and X-factor (Watson). Both ultimately fill a need and I can easily see either playing Rd 1 2024.

Hey KL, any talk of pick swaps before 5pm tomorrow? If we can't get something done before then I think we'll lose picks 62 & 63 as we'll only be able to take picks 4,44,47 & 49 into the draft due to max list spots..

The Wiz would be our most exciting player since Cyril. I don't really understand how anyone could ever go past that.

Because Cyril was the cherry at the end of basically a 3 year recruiting drive that saw us draft the following pieces from our next premiership,

Ruck (Bailey)
Wing (Ellis + Young)
Mid (Lewis + Sewell)
CHF (Buddy)
FB (Gilham)
FF (Roughie)

Some might argue we're not there yet.

Feels like there are two ways to go: safe, sensible and structural (Curtin) or roll-the-dice, excitement and X-factor (Watson). Both ultimately fill a need and I can easily see either playing Rd 1 2024.

I think we've gone the safe route for the last few drafts.

DGB > Hollands/Perkins
Ward > Amiss/NWM
Frenchy > the poo

I'd love for some X-factor.

I think we've gone the safe route for the last few drafts.

DGB > Hollands/Perkins
Ward > Amiss/NWM
Frenchy > the poo

I'd love for some X-factor.
Good point. If DGB had come on the way we'd hoped, I think we'd be 100 per cent on the Watson train. Unfortunately he hasn't.

Morning.

As we traded for Ginnivan, and I accept that it was an opportunistic move on our part - then as much as Watson is admired as a prospect, surely Ginnivan covers the small forward role, at least until Breust retires - and that could be another 2 years away.

We have addressed the forward issue, with Chol, Gunston and Ginnivan - those 3 with Lewis, Moore and Bruest (+ Chad / Butler / a.n.other) would seem to give us an improvement on last seasons attacking options.

Unless we are giving frosty another go, then the pressing need has to be KPD.

Blanck can't do it on his own. Sicily is elite as the 3rd man / interceptor so it's madness to limit his influence on the back six by putting him on a monster forward.

We are very small down back (and I know you guys all know that!) - but with the mooted addition on Amon down back (as per track watchers), I'm just not seeing how our back 6 shapes up unless either:
Frost returns
Phillips is seen as a viable option
We are drafting one.

Blanck, Sicily, Amon and Hardwick are locks.

That leaves two from: Scrimmers, Impey, Mitchell, Weddle, CJ and Frost.

If the training guys are right, then CJ and Weddle are potentially being moved up the field (apologies if I have misread the reports) - so, jeez:

Mitchell Blanck Hardwick
Amon Sicily Impey / Scrimshaw

That's a blooming short defensive 6.

Scrimshaw Frost Hardwick
Amon Blanck Sicily

That looks better on paper, but well, it's Frosty again, and we lose wee baby Seamus's drive from the backline.

Are we going to take Phillips or do you think we will draft Curtain?

Scrimshaw Phillips / Curtain Hardwick
Amon Blanck Sicily

That looks better, but then throws all sorts of questions about the roles of Mitchell, Scrimshaw, Impey, Weddle and CJ next season.

I'll admit - the move of Amon down back - and he will be excellent there no doubt, has thrown up a heap of questions I have no answer for.

What do you guys think - do we draft Phillips and Curtain?

Morning.

As we traded for Ginnivan, and I accept that it was an opportunistic move on our part - then as much as Watson is admired as a prospect, surely Ginnivan covers the small forward role, at least until Breust retires - and that could be another 2 years away.

We have addressed the forward issue, with Chol, Gunston and Ginnivan - those 3 with Lewis, Moore and Bruest (+ Chad / Butler / a.n.other) would seem to give us an improvement on last seasons attacking options.

Unless we are giving frosty another go, then the pressing need has to be KPD.

Blanck can't do it on his own. Sicily is elite as the 3rd man / interceptor so it's madness to limit his influence on the back six by putting him on a monster forward.

We are very small down back (and I know you guys all know that!) - but with the mooted addition on Amon down back (as per track watchers), I'm just not seeing how our back 6 shapes up unless either:
Frost returns
Phillips is seen as a viable option
We are drafting one.

Blanck, Sicily, Amon and Hardwick are locks.

That leaves two from: Scrimmers, Impey, Mitchell, Weddle, CJ and Frost.

If the training guys are right, then CJ and Weddle are potentially being moved up the field (apologies if I have misread the reports) - so, jeez:

Mitchell Blanck Hardwick
Amon Sicily Impey / Scrimshaw

That's a blooming short defensive 6.

Scrimshaw Frost Hardwick
Amon Blanck Sicily

That looks better on paper, but well, it's Frosty again, and we lose wee baby Seamus's drive from the backline.

Are we going to take Phillips or do you think we will draft Curtain?

Scrimshaw Phillips / Curtain Hardwick
Amon Blanck Sicily

That looks better, but then throws all sorts of questions about the roles of Mitchell, Scrimshaw, Impey, Weddle and CJ next season.

I'll admit - the move of Amon down back - and he will be excellent there no doubt, has thrown up a heap of questions I have no answer for.

What do you guys think - do we draft Phillips and Curtain?
I'm not sure what track watchers you are talking about, but pre-season hasn't started yet. Where exactly would the guys be training with a different group when no one is training with coaches atm? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but all I have seen atm are individual players getting/keeping fit out on the track to get ready for pre-season. I think it's a bit early for talk of switching positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what track watchers you are talking about, but pre-season hasn't started yet. Where exactly would the guys be training with a different group when no one is training with coaches atm? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but all I have seen atm are individual players getting/keeping fit out on the track to get ready for pre-season. I think it's a bit early for talk of switching positions.

I'm pretty sure I read on here that Amon had stated that he would be training with the defensive guys with a move to the backline on the cards?
I'm sure it was on here somewhere.

Apologies if wrong, maybe someone could help us out?

Here it is: Didn't think I was going senile (yet) lol

Capture.JPG

Thanks KL.
If nothing happens.... North are touted to be picking Zane and Colby. That leaves Curtin and Watson.
So no sleep for the next 10 days as the coin gets repeatedly tossed. ;)
Thanks WCE!

Hey KL, any talk of pick swaps before 5pm tomorrow? If we can't get something done before then I think we'll lose picks 62 & 63 as we'll only be able to take picks 4,44,47 & 49 into the draft due to max list spots..
Some or all of these will go to match McCabe.

I'll spell it out again as fully as possible. It isn't just between us, North & WC it also involves Geelong.
(we're assuming it's Geelong - it might be Dees or Dogs ... either way they're talking to one of them).

So the deal would be us giving North pick 4 & F1.
WC giving us pick 1.
North giving WC picks 2 & 15 & F2
WC giving Geelong (?) their F1 for pick 8.

North then has two early firsts next year (and this year - which is why they came up with this).
Geelong would have two early firsts next year.
I'd assume Geelong would like having two early firsts next year in a deep draft of good mids considering their 'old man' midfield now.
We'd have Reid & McCabe and then our F2 next year.
WC would have picks 2, 8 & 15 this year and picks 21 & 22 next year.

And if it came to all parties agreeing but AFL not allowing us to trade our F1 I'm sure WC, North and Cats would flip a F3 & F4 our way to get it done.

Like I said earlier, it depends on how WC see their rebuild.
North like it (they offered it), we like it. The stumbling block right now is WC and the 4th party.
Thanks for your continued info sharing, I certainly appreciate it.

To clarify:

Hawks:
Out: 4, F1
In: Pick 1

WC:
Out: Pick 1,F1
In: 2, 8, 15, Norths F2

North:
Out: Picks 2, 15, and F2
In: Pick 4, Hawks F1

Cats:
Out: Pick 8
In: WC F1

Hawks have had 4 and F1 on the table for a while now, so we are obviously happy with that price for Reid. North also obviously happy with that hand, as they proposed it. And rightly so. They get a sweet deal.
For me personally, I think that Geelong get too good a deal here. Cats obviously banking on WC staying low. Their F3 to us would at least tip the scales back a little, and appease the AFL. No need for an F4 as the rules changed this year. But I won't say no lol.
WC getting a much better deal than has been offered so far. But losing their F1 is a big extra cost to only gain Norths F2. They would be seriously banking on moving up the ladder, which they could if they can stay fit.

My guess is that it’d have to be something more like this to appeal.

Hawks:
Out: 4, F1
In: Pick 1

West Coast:
Out: 1, F2
In: 2, 8, 18

North:
Out: 2, 15, 17, 18
In: 4, Hawks F1, Eagles F2

Geelong:
Out: 8
In: 15, 17
I think that's a much fairer trade. Comparing the two trades...

Hawks the same, again we are happy with it. WC would be happier with it. They move from 15 to 18, but are giving up a F2 instead of F1. Don't get the F2 back from North, but I think it's a better deal for them on paper. I'd certainly rather WC's F1 than North and WC's F2's. North lose their two late 1sts this year, but instead of losing their F2, they gain WC's. Geelong are probably the losers in this trade though. 15 and 17 instead of WC's F1. It's not a bad return, but it doesn't look as good on paper.

Maybe if North and WC throw in their F3's, one to us to appease the AFL and one to the Cats in a swap to even things up a bit? We can then give up a third this year back to WC to even them back up. They need a pick for their academy guy, it might help with that. And by the time all the picks move around from bids etc, losing one pick won't hurt with matching McCabe. Our picks will move in, bidders picks will move out. We will match easily.

So something like:

Hawks:
Out: 4, 49, F1
In: Pick 1, North F3

West Coast:
Out: 1, F2, F3
In: 2, 8, 18, 49

North:
Out: 2, 15, 17, 18, F3
In: 4, Hawks F1, Eagles F2, Cats F3

Geelong:
Out: 8, F3
In: 15, 17, WC F3

Everyone loves a bit of posturing.

Last edited:
Some or all of these will go to match McCabe.
These picks equal about pick 10 in pts (after discount).. McCabe bid likely coming pick 15-20 so i'd think we're better off moving 1 of them into the future (3rd or 4th rounder) and taking pick 62 through to the draft.. gives us some more future assets if we need to move things around on the night

Edit: I just realised that this isn't really draft pool news, though it does affect our draft. Not really sure where else to put it.

Basically what this means is the Hawks can now take all six of their picks into the draft. A club has to have enough open list spots available to match the picks they take to the draft. We only had four open spots till today and would have lost two picks. We may need those picks to match bids for McCabe and Dear. So we go in with six spots open, fill four of them at the draft, then rookie list Chad and Cooper.

Last edited:
Back