Preview 2022 Rd 17 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday July 10 @ 4:40PM - Team Post #655

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only ourselves to blame unfortunately

Collingwood, Richmond and Saints all immediately below us on the ladder and we lost to all 3 recently.

They, plus Sydney, are the main teams we are competing against to make the 8.

Win even just 1 of them and finals would be basically assured.
Yep can’t disagree there 👍

I think we should win at least 4 more games (eagles giants crows and pies)

That should get us into finals. If we drop one of them could get a bit close but in saying that I could see us pinching a game against one of Geelong brisbane melbourne.

At the end of the day it’s just refreshing to be able to think about finals at this point of the year and not the draft

That should get us into finals. If we drop one of them could get a bit close but in saying that I could see us pinching a game against one of Geelong brisbane melbourne.

At the end of the day it’s just refreshing to be able to think about finals at this point of the year and not the draft
I still think 13 wins will be sufficient to make it. History says no team has missed with 13 wins since the final 8 system was implemented in 2000. It looked like 14 wins might be required a few weeks back but with every upset (we’re getting a few a round) it’s looking less and less likely. A number of games between top 10 sides to end the year which will inevitably go either way. We beat West Coast and we’re looking very good for making the 8.

Amen to that.

This.

I’ll be pissed if we don’t make the 8, but I’d rather be playing around with the AFL ladder predictor then discussing which of 5 kids we might pick up in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not super confident about next week. Eagles looked pretty good for a lot of the games against Richmond...and have a lot of their better players back in the side. We'll need to play so much better to win against them.

In 4/ 5 weeks without Weiters we have fallen behind on the scoreboard early. In most of those games our mids have started badly and our stop gap bigs have struggled.

Once again it’s the Cripps /Hewett combo in the spotlight. Cripps got better as the game went on. Hewett never impacted. His form is pretty concerning now and I hope he shakes it. But if he doesn’t I’m all for mixing it up. He played great as a half back at Sydney last year (would be far better than Newnes).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 4/ 5 weeks without Weiters we have fallen behind on the scoreboard early. In most of those games our mids have started badly and our stop gap bigs have struggled.

Once again it’s the Cripps /Hewett combo in the spotlight. Cripps got better as the game went on. Hewett never impacted. His form is pretty concerning now and I hope he shakes it. But if he doesn’t I’m all for mixing it up. He played great as a half back at Sydney last year (would be far better than Newnes).
I thought Hewett was pretty good, bar 2 huge blunders which really cost us. 6 clearances, 7 score involvements, 10 tackles.
Unfortunately, he handballed out of a tackle 10 meters backwards straight to a Saint for a goal rather than holding the ball in, and also burned a simple set shot directly in front.

I remember the 2011 elimination final against Essendon and after the bombers had kicked the first 3 goals of the game Setanta marked in the goal square in a pack decided to play on and almost got smothered..but it went through. Could have been costly, I remembered at the time.

Yep, I Was behind the goal square for that one. The cheersquad was telling him to slow down

Last edited:
Interesting that the focus is on our young or lesser players. I thought our ‘star’ players were far more disappointing than many our lower tier players. They were terrible. A few of the lesser lights were keeping us within range imo. Cotts is the best of the Newnes, LOB, Cotts trio. I think he’ll make a career with us now.

Cerra has had two shockers in a row now (ignoring the Tigers). That’s concerning. He’s more of the same of what we already have - strong body, lacks explosiveness and speed.. and geez we get exposed for that sometimes.

I’d be keeping all of Durds, Honey and Motlop and looking to lose Newnes and LOB or Plow.

I’m going to keep focusing on Harry until he changes his ways. Weakest player of his size I’ve ever seen in the marking contest. His efforts to win frees are embarrassing and distract him from being the dominant player he could be.

Voss needs to face scrutiny too … completely out-coached. Stubborn too.

Every cloud: we were completely outplayed, barely fired a shot, and yet were within reach and had more scoring shots. Astounding.

Big game. Hope the coach learnt a few lessons and certain players cop the heat they deserve. I’m still a big believer in us this year.

IMO this a fair bit of an overreaction - the players were not completely outplayed and Voss was not completely out coached - we were outplayed for a quarter and a half and then we got on top because the players and coaches made adjustments, but we ultimately lost because we didn’t convert our chances and made too many mistakes that let them in.

If anything that’s a good sign because it shows the players and coaches can make adjustments to get back on top mid game which is typically a feature of really good sides, and I’d much prefer that execution be the problem rather than we pick and choose when we apply ourselves (like for example Saints who mailed it in last week against Sydney then come out breathing fire when their season is on the line) because eventually those sort of teams will get caught out.

Finally on the lesser point about Cerra, he has not had 2 shockers in a row - he played very well against Collingwood, then got injured against the Dons early and missed the Tigers and Freo games - so this is literally his first bad game back from injury which is hardly uncommon in this league.

I still think 13 wins will be sufficient to make it. History says no team has missed with 13 wins since the final 8 system was implemented in 2000. It looked like 14 wins might be required a few weeks back but with every upset (we’re getting a few a round) it’s looking less and less likely. A number of games between top 10 sides to end the year which will inevitably go either way. We beat West Coast and we’re looking very good for making the 8.

Bored so wanted to do a little ladder predictor.

After this round I think we can safely rule out Port and GC who are 2 games outside the 8 with 7 games to go. GC hit by injuries too.

Bulldogs a slim chance given they have a tough remaining fixture. They are capable of getting on a hot streak, they'll need English and even Bruce back to be a threat. Unlikely.

Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane and Freo are locks on 44+ points.

That leaves 5 teams battling for 4 spots. Collingwood and Richmond virtually locks given their form and fixture.

I think it comes down to 2 spots for us, Sydney and Saints. Those 2 teams are a bit flaky, so if I had to put money on it I'd back us to make the 8.

IMO this a fair bit of an overreaction - the players were not completely outplayed and Voss was not completely out coached - we were outplayed for a quarter and a half and then we got on top because the players and coaches made adjustments, but we ultimately lost because we didn’t convert our chances and made too many mistakes that let them in.

If anything that’s a good sign because it shows the players and coaches can make adjustments to get back on top mid game which is typically a feature of really good sides, and I’d much prefer that execution be the problem rather than we pick and choose when we apply ourselves (like for example Saints who mailed it in last week against Sydney then come out breathing fire when their season is on the line) because eventually those sort of teams will get caught out.

Finally on the lesser point about Cerra, he has not had 2 shockers in a row - he played very well against Collingwood, then got injured against the Dons early and missed the Tigers and Freo games - so this is literally his first bad game back from injury which is hardly uncommon in this league.
I don’t think he attended one centre bounce knee was heavily strapped he didn’t look right to me.His kicking was off also hindsight maybe another weeks rest would have been advisable

Perfect summation IMO. The concern with them getting off the chain was really only in the first quarter and a bit. After that we tightened up well and really stopped their run quite effectively. This was reflected by scoring shots after quarter time being something like 25 to 15.

We just couldn't put the score on the board - and when you keep missing and missing, eventually the opposition are going to get through. Unfortunately for us, our defense was undersized and they kicked very accurately when they did break through.

And this doesn’t bother me. I’m a believer in ‘baptism under fire’. I say bring it on and if we’re good enough we’ll find a way. And it’ll toughen the resolve of the group to play finals footy. Experience of tough games will be invaluable, for this season and those to come.
Our last 3 games being Bris, Melb, and Coll will be a huge run in to finals. Playing the right quality teams at a good time. With the week of after Rd 23 I'm not worried about being battle weary for finals week 1

In- Weitering, Pittonet, Dow
Out- Honey, Newnes, O’Brien

B Plowman Weitering Newman
HB Saad Young Docherty
C Cerra Cripps Walsh
HF Silvagni Curnow Fisher
F Durdin McKay Motlop
FOLL- TDK Kennedy Hewett
I/C- Pittonet, Cottrell, Dow, Setterfield
Sub: Kemp

Status
Not open for further replies.