Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drafting strategy is pretty simple this year. Take Clarke at 7 and pi$$ Geelong off. Do a pick shuffle we get for Gunston, turn it to to pick 40 and take Munkurra. Happy days 🤣
I'm only cool with this if straight after you hear 'with the 40th pick the Hawthorn Football Club selects…Anthony Munkurra' the camera pans in on MacKenzie and Sammy with Sammy who celebrates with either a fist pump or better yet a syringe in the a$$ cheek jab 😂

I'm only cool with this if straight after you hear 'with the 40th pick the Hawthorn Football Club selects…Anthony Munkurra' the camera pans in on MacKenzie and Sammy with Sammy who celebrates with either a fist pump or better yet a syringe in the a$$ cheek jab 😂
Essentially a mindf#*k draft would be take Clark at 6(7) trade up for lions pick 21 and bid on Davey jnr and pick 41 to be ahead of dons 42. May not be the best for our long term future but wouldn’t that be simply awesome and worth it?

Essentially a mindf#*k draft would be take Clark at 6(7) trade up for lions pick 21 and bid on Davey jnr and pick 41 to be ahead of dons 42. May not be the best for our long term future but wouldn’t that be simply awesome and worth it?
Edited: aren’t there 2 Daveys in this draft we’d have to go both my apologies

pick 7 Cam MacKenzie or Mattaes Phillipou

mid first round pick - Brayden George, Olli Hollands, Olli Hotton, Reuben Ginbey or Matthew Jefferson (all good options)

early 2nd round pick - Anthony Munkara, Lewis Hayes(if there), Darcy Jones, Charlie Clarke, Coby Burgiel, Ed Allan

mid-late draft bargains - Hugh Bond, Luke Teal, Shadeau Brain, Noah Long, Jonti Schuback, F/S Jerome Lawrence and our NGA Cooper Vickery.

plenty of options, dont fk it up hawks recruiting team... (no Stockers, B.Campbells, McAsey's, D.Stephens thank you)

2km time trial​

Oliver Hollands (Murray Bushrangers) – 5:54 minutes
Jason Gillbee (Bendigo Pioneers) – 5:54
Jaxon Binns (Dandenong Stingrays) – 6:00

20m sprint​

Edward Allan (Claremont) – 2.81 seconds
Toby McMullin (Sandringham Dragons) – 2.880
Coby Burgiel (Gippsland Power) – 2.883

Agility​

Darcy Jones (Swan Districts) – 7.70 seconds
Jaxon Binns (Dandenong Stingrays) – 8.18
Elijah Hewett (Swan Districts) – 8.21

Vertical jump​

Darcy Jones (Swan Districts) – 75cm
James Van Es (Greater Western Victoria Rebels) – 75
Jack O'Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers) – 71

Running vertical jump​

James Van Es (Greater Western Victoria Rebels) – 98cm
Aaron Cadman (Greater Western Victoria Rebels) – 93
Will Verrall (South Adelaide) – 90
Josh Weddle (Oakleigh Chargers) – 90

Ed Allan with some break neck speed, his 3 runs were 2.85, 2.82 and 2.81 which is quick af boy

Darcy Jones showing his agility breaking Stephen Hills 14 year old record

and for a big FB James Van Es doing well in all of the runs and jumps, Weddle also having good runs and jumps for a big man as well, Ginbey also putting in good times for his sprint/2km time trial

Burgiel has great endurance on field, didnt expect that burst of pace, so good signs for him too

Will Ashcroft didnt train, Bailey Humphrey with a corky from his last 3 games getting it drained so couldnt train and Wardlaw still nursing his hamstrings.

Last edited:

2km time trial​

Oliver Hollands (Murray Bushrangers) – 5:54 minutes
Jason Gillbee (Bendigo Pioneers) – 5:54
Jaxon Binns (Dandenong Stingrays) – 6:00

20m sprint​

Edward Allan (Claremont) – 2.81 seconds
Toby McMullin (Sandringham Dragons) – 2.880
Coby Burgiel (Gippsland Power) – 2.883

Agility​

Darcy Jones (Swan Districts) – 7.70 seconds
Jaxon Binns (Dandenong Stingrays) – 8.18
Elijah Hewett (Swan Districts) – 8.21

Vertical jump​

Darcy Jones (Swan Districts) – 75cm
James Van Es (Greater Western Victoria Rebels) – 75
Jack O'Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers) – 71

Running vertical jump​

James Van Es (Greater Western Victoria Rebels) – 98cm
Aaron Cadman (Greater Western Victoria Rebels) – 93
Will Verrall (South Adelaide) – 90
Josh Weddle (Oakleigh Chargers) – 90

Ed Allan with some break neck speed, his 3 runs were 2.85, 2.82 and 2.81 which is quick af boy

Darcy Jones showing his agility breaking Stephen Hills 14 year old record

and for a big FB James Van Es doing well in all of the runs and jumps, Weddle also having good runs and jumps for a big man as well, Ginbey also putting in good times for his sprint/2km time trial

Burgiel has great endurance on field, didnt expect that burst of pace, so good signs for him too

Will Ashcroft didnt train, Bailey Humphrey with a corky from his last 3 games getting it drained so couldnt train and Wardlaw still nursing his hamstrings.

Thanks for sharing mate, just a question
Humphrey, McKenzie, George, Clark and Philippou. Most likely outcome as far as availability at our pick. Why do you think McKenzie or Philippou in front of others? Do they bring something different to our current midfield mix? Just a question not criticism.

Thanks for sharing mate, just a question
Humphrey, McKenzie, George, Clark and Philippou. Most likely outcome as far as availability at our pick. Why do you think McKenzie or Philippou in front of others? Do they bring something different to our current midfield mix? Just a question not criticism.

MacKenzie brings ball winning and speed out of the contest, we lack that a little, although Newcombe and Ward have injected a little speed from the contest, also he is very careful with disposal and is a very consistent player who can also do the defensive midfield work, probably his one weakness is not being a goal kicking midfielder or at least that not being his strength, MacKenzie reminded me of a Will Ashcroft clone to a certain degree (very similar type with a few small differences, similar to last year where Hobbs was a lesser version of Daicos imo and i was on the Ward/Hobbs train)

Phillipou also has good pace but it is deceptive pace, he doesnt look like he is fast but he just glides past others, he is very accurate goal kicker as a forward or midfielder, good hands in tight to feed players in space, very strong mark, Bartel-like marking, has a tendency to be a little relaxed and not as intense as you would like, but when he is on he is all class. (if he didnt have moments of laziness i guess you have to call it, he would be top 5 because he does some special things on the ground)

both big bodied midfielders as well with versatility

MacKenzie brings ball winning and speed out of the contest, we lack that a little, although Newcombe and Ward have injected a little speed from the contest, also he is very careful with disposal and is a very consistent player who can also do the defensive midfield work, probably his one weakness is not being a goal kicking midfielder, MacKenzie reminded me of a Will Ashcroft clone to a certain degree (very similar type with a few small differences)

Phillipou also has good pace but it is deceptive pace, he doesnt look like he is fast but he just glides past others, he is very accurate goal kicker as a forward or midfielder, good hands in tight to feed players in space, very strong mark, Bartel-like marking, has a tendency to be a little relaxed and not as intense as you would like, but when he is on he is all class.

Ok thanks. Now a bit worried about cam not been dangerous frwd of centre. Can't have anymore low scoring mids imo. This is a huge area of worry since the days of Isaac, Jordy, Hodge and silk who were extremely effective frwd of centre.
Phillipou in front in my mind just on that.

Ok thanks. Now a bit worried about cam not been dangerous frwd of centre. Can't have anymore low scoring mids imo. This is a huge area of worry since the days of Isaac, Jordy, Hodge and silk who were extremely effective frwd of centre.
Phillipou in front in my mind just on that.
Probably the best kick inside 50 in the draft group, has all the attributes to be a goal kicking midfielder just needs to gain more ball on the outside and he will find him self kicking a few more goals.

I'll be disappointed if we don't select this kid

MacKenzie brings ball winning and speed out of the contest, we lack that a little, although Newcombe and Ward have injected a little speed from the contest, also he is very careful with disposal and is a very consistent player who can also do the defensive midfield work, probably his one weakness is not being a goal kicking midfielder or at least that not being his strength, MacKenzie reminded me of a Will Ashcroft clone to a certain degree (very similar type with a few small differences, similar to last year where Hobbs was a lesser version of Daicos imo and i was on the Ward/Hobbs train)

Phillipou also has good pace but it is deceptive pace, he doesnt look like he is fast but he just glides past others, he is very accurate goal kicker as a forward or midfielder, good hands in tight to feed players in space, very strong mark, Bartel-like marking, has a tendency to be a little relaxed and not as intense as you would like, but when he is on he is all class. (if he didnt have moments of laziness i guess you have to call it, he would be top 5 because he does some special things on the ground)

Would be happy with either but just feel that Philipou may have more upside given his age and point of difference - can play forward and has a few extra cm's in height. Would love to know how MM rates Clarke compared to the above two

pick 7 Cam MacKenzie or Mattaes Phillipou

mid first round pick - Brayden George, Olli Hollands, Olli Hotton, Reuben Ginbey or Matthew Jefferson (all good options)

early 2nd round pick - Anthony Munkara, Lewis Hayes(if there), Darcy Jones, Charlie Clarke, Coby Burgiel, Ed Allan

mid-late draft bargains - Hugh Bond, Luke Teal, Shadeau Brain, Noah Long, Jonti Schuback, F/S Jerome Lawrence and our NGA Cooper Vickery.

plenty of options, dont fk it up hawks recruiting team... (no Stockers, B.Campbells, McAsey's, D.Stephens thank you)
Davo - what’s your view on Barnett as a pick for us? Athletic ruck, great mark, possible kpp, solid build - seems a BB replacement?

How does Ed Allen rate in terms of potential best wing options? I reckon on wing you need elite athletes - we had smith and hill + cats this year smith, Holmes, Blicavs - all in handful of best runners in the afl. 2.81 for 20m is unbelievably quick for a guy his size (or anyone really) - not sure how he tested on endurance etc?

Any testing results released on players around our pick ?.

I won't be surprised to see someone take a punt on Allan alot earlier then expected with his height/speed mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any testing results released on players around our pick ?.

I won't be surprised to see someone take a punt on Allan alot earlier then expected with his height/speed mix.
Not yet - not sure why afls coverage is so poor. Isn’t the combine a bit event in the NFL etc?

Humphrey didn’t test. Ginbey tested well for speed and endurance but haven’t seen anything on Clarke, McKenzie or Phillipou.

There are plenty of red flags with Mankara. Have I missed something?
Played 1 championship game and barely touched it then went away for the season? Now failing to complete the endurance testing? Please correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong.

This draft is so important for us that I just can't imagine us taking a risk that huge. Especially if we only have 6 and 24 to play with.
Munkara showed enough in the academy vs collingwood game to suggest he is very talented.

How did McKenzie and Clark go in the combine? Can’t see their names in the top 10s. Which probably wasn’t expected but at least interesting to understand if an red flags etc.

Shifter Sheehan saying Sam Mitchell driving the 20 minute interviews at the combine, and every player came out saying “gee I’d love to go to Hawthorn”
He wasn’t in Brayden George’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back