• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn’t at Prospect on the weekend but hearing that Ash Johnson pulled out of the game so as not to get injured and harm his MSD prospects. Poor form if that’s the case.

What if he's been told he's going to be picked up? I mean I get what you're saying, but this is a blokes chance to get on an AFL list.

The rumour thread says that we are into Coleman-Jones. If we get him, we don't really need Stauchn, Himmelberg, Billy or a msd ruck.

Still, until we get Coleman-Jones, we may need all three.

Braden Cook is probably a bolster from last draft.
Where is this rumor too? Mainboard? How recent?

Gibbs has already been covered with us bringing on Murray.

We just haven't moved Milera and Hinge to the inactive list at this point - whether we do or not remains to be seen. There is at least merit in the idea to move them to the inactive list because it gives us a head start in restocking our rookie list (let's not pretend our picks will do any more than that at the moment), but also, I kind of get the idea of waiting until the end of the year to see how the 2021 class shapes up there. Especially as the crux of the 2020 class is not going to be present (their U17 year).
So Murray covers Gibbs. Done.
Stengle out gives us 1 list spot available.

Why wouldn't we move Milera and Hinge to the LTI list? Is there some benefit ($$ wise) in not doing it?

We may still do it given you are allowed to make those changes up to end of today I think. Would seem silly not to do it on the off chance a player we like slips through. Might as well have extra positions available and not use it than not have them and want it.

Again I will mention that I heard our plan was to not use any picks. Just seems daft to not trial someone, especially in the middle of a rebuild.
Hopefully we are just being super quiet and secretive and will actually take advantage of this opportunity.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should...
Yeh any chance you get a free hit at a young player while you are rebuilding, you should definitely not do it... Can we pick up Matty Wright? Then we can start playing him in the AFL and be done with pesky kids.

What if you take two and the players don't turn out very good? What have you lost? 6 months? $100k? A slight strengthening of your SANFL team?

What if you take two and they both turn out much better than expected? You now have a two player advantage on your rebuild than you did before.

The chance of finding a real talent is small, but it's more than the chances if you don't have a go. Even with that small chance, the cost is so little that the risk/reward is still worth it.

What if he's been told he's going to be picked up? I mean I get what you're saying, but this is a blokes chance to get on an AFL list.
It’s a horrible look that just adds to how bad the MSD affects competitions below the AFL with no reward or remuneration to the affected club. Sturt lost by under a goal and with it pretty well any hope of finals.....but hey, one player puts himself before his teammates and everyone else. FMD

So Murray covers Gibbs. Done.
Stengle out gives us 1 list spot available.

Why wouldn't we move Milera and Hinge to the LTI list? Is there some benefit ($$ wise) in not doing it?

We may still do it given you are allowed to make those changes up to end of today I think. Would seem silly not to do it on the off chance a player we like slips through. Might as well have extra positions available and not use it than not have them and want it.

Again I will mention that I heard our plan was to not use any picks. Just seems daft to not trial someone, especially in the middle of a rebuild.
Hopefully we are just being super quiet and secretive and will actually take advantage of this opportunity.

I mean, there would be salary cap benefits, but we shouldn't be slammed up against the cap at this point in time. After all, we've likely cut a lot of it.

If we don't, it's probably more to do with that we don't really like anyone that is available, or not enough to be particularly concerned if they slip through at this point in time (it's not to say a strong second half of the season doesn't put them back on our radar). Especially as we're flushed with prospects (good, and otherwise) and aren't really in need to take project players. The only genuine reason you'd have with us is if we wanted to get a headstart on replacing some players on our rookie list.

That said, we are rumoured to be interested in a few players (Davis, Parnell, Newcombe), so it does lend to the idea we'll at least take one player if not two. I just can't see us getting Davies over and going through all that effort to then let him slide through this draft in particular.

Last edited:
People on the main board saying GC are taking him FFS. It destroys the local comps with no ability to replace or no proper remuneration. I'd say if he had played for Sturt on the weekend they probably win that game as he has been the clubs best performed forward this year. Just a shocking scenario not just for sturt but all affected SANFL / WAFL clubs

It’s a horrible look that just adds to how bad the MSD affects competitions below the AFL with no reward or remuneration to the affected club. Sturt lost by under a goal and with it pretty well any hope of finals.....but hey, one player puts himself before his teammates and everyone else. FMD

That's a problem with the MSD, not the individual.

Imagine he does his knee playing this week after being told he's going to be picked up.

"I just destroyed any chance I had at getting on an AFL list, but at least I got to play a minor round game for the double blues".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine he does his knee playing this week after being told he's going to be picked up.

"I just destroyed any chance I had at getting on an AFL list, but at least I got to play a minor round game for the double blues".
Yep

The SANFL clubs don't have to include players with AFL aspirations if they don't want to. Just get them to go to another club.

If you want the players that are around the mark to be on an AFL list though then this is the terrain. And to be fair, I haven't heard Sturt complaining about this

gonna be awkward if he's not picked up. "Hey boys, I'm back, how about that gastro hey? Anybody else had the shits, not good, trust me."

I’d argue it’s a problem with the MSD, the AFL club telling him to not play and himself, he’s happy to use the club to put him out there as a player but only when it suits his agenda.

Yep

The SANFL clubs don't have to include players with AFL aspirations if they don't want to. Just get them to go to another club.

If you want the players that are around the mark to be on an AFL list though then this is the terrain. And to be fair, I haven't heard Sturt complaining about this
The official wasn’t at all impressed and all SANFL clubs, and other state league clubs in other competitions, were vehemently against it being brought in and still are.....yet according to you apparently Sturt are ok with it 🙄

The official wasn’t at all impressed and all SANFL clubs, and other state league clubs in other competitions, were vehemently against it being brought in and still are.....yet according to you apparently Sturt are ok with it 🙄

In an isolated case, they probably are, or at least have judged it as a battle not worth fighting yet. I'm certain this incident will get brought up whenever the mid-season draft gets reviewed as a concept.

The official wasn’t at all impressed and all SANFL clubs, and other state league clubs in other competitions, were vehemently against it being brought in and still are.....
Do you think this mystery official has a wide all-encompassing view of the situation and can appreciate all the angles? Or does he have club blinkers on?

yet according to you apparently Sturt are ok with it 🙄
How exceptionally petty and short-sighted of us if we aren't

"OK with with it" means that we understand the conditions that exist, not that we would choose those conditions if we had total control.

Do you think Bernie Vince should have played out his club cricket season with Woodville after being drafted by us?

Still take up cap space and a spot. What’s the point?

We should take as many players as we can in the MSD.

We could find a decent player - we have a pretty good track record of finding decent players in the PSD.

An added bonus is the 3 or 4 extra players mean 3 or 4 less top up players in our reserves team, this helps our existing players.

Another bonus is it will upset the no AFL in SANFL brigade, with a bit of luck each SANFL club will lose two players - would be delicious!!

Getting players in on base-wage six month contracts is a free hit. If we don’t take all our picks the only explanation is cap problems, or more charitably, cap management. Maybe we’ve crammed a huge amount into this year to build the proverbial war chest for later years.

I know, heard it all before, but given the state of our list it might be true this time.

Getting players in on base-wage six month contracts is a free hit. If we don’t take all our picks the only explanation is cap problems, or more charitably, cap management. Maybe we’ve crammed a huge amount into this year to build the proverbial war chest for later years.

I know, heard it all before, but given the state of our list it might be true this time.
Last time we passed because we didn't rate any players. Our drafting judgement was so flawless that any player we'd previously overlooked can't have been any good

I’d argue it’s a problem with the MSD, the AFL club telling him to not play and himself, he’s happy to use the club to put him out there as a player but only when it suits his agenda.
Would have been nice if Sturt played one short just to make the point - would have looked good for his reputation and increased the pressure just a touch if he was picked up.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back