2019 VFL/VFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

I just t
Hocking for the Dons. Tynan is 50/50 with them too. And I seriously doubt that Coburg would beat Abers by 12 goals. Abers have basically an open checkbook and normally have as many if not more former AFL players on their books as any of those sides.
i Just think you overestimate how much those EDFL players care about their performance and underestimate the care, commitment and preparation of VFL listed players. How many players from the EDFL have made VFL lists for 2019?

I just t

i Just think you overestimate how much those EDFL players care about their performance and underestimate the care, commitment and preparation of VFL listed players. How many players from the EDFL have made VFL lists for 2019?
Not all lists have been announced but there's usually half a dozen at Essendon, and plenty at Coburg. Half the attraction in playing for Coburg would be the fact they play against teams like Essendon and Collingwood etc. and if that stopped it'd be a significant drop in quality of players tht they'd be getting.

Not all lists have been announced but there's usually half a dozen at Essendon, and plenty at Coburg. Half the attraction in playing for Coburg would be the fact they play against teams like Essendon and Collingwood etc. and if that stopped it'd be a significant drop in quality of players tht they'd be getting.

I looked through 20 odd 2019 signings at Coburg...not 1 from the EDFL from what I can see. Happy to stand corrected.

I looked through 20 odd 2019 signings at Coburg...not 1 from the EDFL from what I can see. Happy to stand corrected.
Of those remaining on last year's list, Corigliano, Bunker, Fox, Lowson, Swierzbiolek, Tilley, Watkins, Connolo, Weightman, Guthrie, Murphy and Sandric all played in the EDFL last year. Most Coburg players when not injured go back and play for different EDFL clubs, some go to NFL, but believe me, their main resource is Essendon District due to NFL being based a little far east.

I know for a fact that you’re incorrect. Only 1 of those players played 1 game in the EDFL in 2018. Eastern FL and Northern FL’s holds the majority. You might not have seen Coburg play for a while...or followed their 2018 and 2019 signings much. I subscribe to their newsletter, as I do most VFL clubs, it’s one of the better newsletters getting around.

Of those remaining on last year's list, Corigliano, Bunker, Fox, Lowson, Swierzbiolek, Tilley, Watkins, Connolo, Weightman, Guthrie, Murphy and Sandric all played in the EDFL last year. Most Coburg players when not injured go back and play for different EDFL clubs, some go to NFL, but believe me, their main resource is Essendon District due to NFL being based a little far east.

Guthrie BFL
Cannolo RDFL

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2019 listed VFL players that have been on an AFL list:

Box Hill: A Moore, N Mullenger-McHugh, L Mackie, T Tweedie, L Osborne,
Casey: J Hutchings,
Coburg: none.
Collingwood: A Woodward, A Gallucci,
Essendon: K Aylett, R Connellan,
Footscray: A Monfries, R Gardiner, N Drummond, J Prudden, L Dalgleish, R William, D Viojo-Rainbow,
Frankston: N Freeman, A Styles, W Fordham, M McCarthy,
Geelong:
Northern Blues: S Fisher, J Palmer, K Collins, J O'Rourke, A Johnson, J Hill,
North Melb: A Morgan, B Whitecross, T Leonardis,
Port Melbourne: J Blair, J Lisle, M Signorello, E Templeton, D Johnstone, B Jolley,
Richmond: S Morris, H Beasley, J Marsh,
Sandringham: N Wright, S Gilbert,
Werribee: M Spencer, M Barlow, T House, D Nielson, J Clayton, J Edwards, O Junker,
Williamstown: B Kennedy, A Marcon, S Dunnell, S McClarty, M Hibberd, S Gregory, J Tippett,

Have I missed any?

Dean Gore from Geelong?

Anybody read anything into the Praccy Match results so far? Port seem to be the most consistently good side in them, Collingwood's hype doesn't seem to be matching their performances, given they've had a few easier clubs leading in. Essendon have beaten two teams they should have by margins that were accurate, but failed against Richmond. If I were to do a ladder prediction right now it'd look something like:

Casey
Essendon (biased, I know)
Williamstown
Box Hill
Port Melbourne
Richmond
Footscray
Collingwood
------------------------------------------
North Melbourne
Geelong
Sandringham
Werribee
Preston
Frankston
Coburg (le sigh)

Top 6 will be very even IMO.

Schultz, Cavarra, Bewley & Gibbo are big losses for Williamstown as they move into their AFL careers. Patchy practice match form with Sandy thumping them yesterday. I doubt Willy will finish that high.

Schultz, Cavarra, Bewley & Gibbo are big losses for Williamstown as they move into their AFL careers. Patchy practice match form with Sandy thumping them yesterday. I doubt Willy will finish that high.
Gregory, Hibberd, Kennedy, Kerbatieh, McLarty, Mellington and Sing make up for your losses though.

Big call. Looking forward to the first night game at Point Gelibrand against the enemy.

Coburg came from behind to beat Frankston yesterday at Coburg. Anybody watch the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love for Essendon to push to the top tier of VFL football but we don't have the depth that other clubs have. Shaun McKernan was to be the key for our VFL hopes in 2019 but unfortunately is required in the seniors due to Joe's injury lay off.
We've had a pretty solid recruitment drive and I think Dan Jordan is a pretty good coach. The addition of Aylett into the midfield shouldn't be understated.

If the odds were to be believed, the VFL ladder would end up as:

Casey
Collingwood
Richmond
Box Hill
Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Geelong
Essendon
-----------------------------------
Footscray
North Melbourne
Werribee
Sandringham
Preston
Coburg
Frankston

My tips for round 1:

Footscray vs Sandringham
Geelong vs Richmond
Coburg vs Collingwood
Werribee vs North Melbourne
Williamstown
vs Port Melbourne
Box Hill vs Casey
Frankston vs Essendon

Collingwood and Essendon to be top 2 after round 1.

does collingwood have a good VFL team? looks like they were shit in preseason
They're a 5-8 side for me. 10 teams are good enough for the 8 though.

I imagine it would be hard to rank them pre season with all the draftees etc
AFL players generally don't make that big a difference, it"s the quality of the VFL list. Last year the difference between Essendon and Casey in the prelim was Wagner and Lockhart.

AFL players generally don't make that big a difference, it"s the quality of the VFL list. Last year the difference between Essendon and Casey in the prelim was Wagner and Lockhart.
Box Hills AFL listed players have had a big impact on their fortunes for mine in seasons past

Box Hills AFL listed players have had a big impact on their fortunes for mine in seasons past
Generally speaking the AFL players tend to cancel each other out from the games I've seen, unless it's someone like Francis who plainly shouldn't be there.

A mouth watering round 1 coming up. Geelong vs Richmond, Williamstown vs Port and the GF rematch all high on the list of games that could be very close. Anybody want to tip?

Footscray vs Sandringham
Geelong vs Richmond
Coburg vs Collingwood
Werribee
vs North Melbourne
Williamstown vs Port Melbourne
Box Hill vs Casey
Frankston vs Essendon

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back