Analysis 2019 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously going to be tough with only a 4 day break between the Saints game on 20 April and the Tigers game on Anzac Day eve.

I like the fixture.

The only bit that concerns me I can barely say out loud (I get that more free to air is good promotion and profit yada yada - but I hate the channel 7 commentary so freaking much I always prefer watching the replay of some innocuous game only shown on Foxtel)

Love the home game round 3 v Essendon at the G though! Hey Doss lets make it an event. Essendon board Tanked enthusiasts go head to head with last minute randoms and no shows from the Melbourne board! We will win hands down on my judging criteria.

Random Fixture stats and thoughts, as well obvious ones

Round 1 is only the third time this decade Port Come to the MCG to play us, prior to 2013 (and 2017) the last one was 2009. We did give up plenty though to host them at TIO Stadium instead

Obvious one is that we finally play a home game against Essendon for the first time since 2010

Our First Thursday Night game Since 2011 when we played the Eagles. The last Thursday night game before that was the opening game of 1997 against North Melbourne

Only our third trip to the SCG this decade

Collingwood is another obvious one with us now rotating the fixture on QB. But in the history of QB dating back only twice have played away to Collingwood on QB. 1958, 1961, 1964, 1975, 1977, (1983 at VFL Park, Away), 1992, 1993, 1996, (1999 at the MCG, Away), 2001 to 2018
(Researching this is realised we have played a shit tone of QB football, Mostly against Collingwood, but surprisingly against many other sides too).

This will be the 5th consecutive year we play the Saints twice in a season

I had more in mind, but i forgot and now i am lazy

Will be interesting to see selection and player game time management the week before vs the Saints, we certainly don’t want a repeat the last time we played them.

I don't see why we can't be good enough rest 2-3 players from each game in the build up and still win.

Though listening to Lloyd Carey Judd Brown and a few others they all said the 6 day thing is irrelevant to players and they they preferred them, seems to be a bigger issue with the management than players

Isn't really relevant when Richmond have the same break though.

Given how we collapsed in a heap against them the past two years, would suggest they generally have superior fitness to us. Would need a decent lead at half time and hope we hold on...

Given how we collapsed in a heap against them the past two years, would suggest they generally have superior fitness to us. Would need a decent lead at half time and hope we hold on...

Rubbish. Fitness thing is such a fallacy.
When port made the prelim they had 'superior fitness' to everyone. Now they are just a middle of the road side no one talks about their superior fitness.

We gave stkilda a sniff and belief, it wasn't a forgone conclusion after pre season.

We seemed to play out the WC game in round 22 and the cats and hawks games pretty well.

Rubbish. Fitness thing is such a fallacy.
When port made the prelim they had 'superior fitness' to everyone. Now they are just a middle of the road side no one talks about their superior fitness.

We gave stkilda a sniff and belief, it wasn't a forgone conclusion after pre season.

We seemed to play out the WC game in round 22 and the cats and hawks games pretty well.

I wouldn't normally have commented about it if it wasn't for the 4 day break. The games you refer to were off the back of 7 day breaks. I'd be less concerned if the break was 7 days rather than 4.

Fact of the matter is at the G / Docklands in the first 2/3 of the season, Richmond won 12 of 13 final quarters. Just hope they don't start 2019 with the same form.

I wouldn't normally have commented about it if it wasn't for the 4 day break. The games you refer to were off the back of 7 day breaks. I'd be less concerned if the break was 7 days rather than 4.

Fact of the matter is at the G / Docklands in the first 2/3 of the season, Richmond won 12 of 13 final quarters. Just hope they don't start 2019 with the same form.

Strange that Richmond's fitness became good when their footy became good.

Richmond were a good side reguardless mate. They played rope a dope with sides and attacked when the game opened up in the second half.

Most AFL games now are low scoring slogs till halftime and then they open up in the 2nd half. Seems to be some merit in playing a holding game till half time then having a crack later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We also had the short break AFTER the ANZAC eve game in the last two years, and have pummeled the Bombers both times which would indicate our fitness is fine off a short break.

Or did their footy become good when their fitness became good?
You can't sustain good footy if you're not fit enough.

So why did port struggle after their prelim? Did most of their players become unfit for 3 years?
Fitness plays a part sure but not anywhere near as much as people make out.

Discounting the teams we play twice most of our away games are highly winnable

Geelong
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Bulldogs
Carlton
North

Should be 4-5 wins out of that lot.

After this year's soft draw, I love that next year's draw is tough. Will sort out if we really are any good or just another mediocre also-ran.

Plus I was sick of watching us belt shit teams by 10 goals. I loved all 3 Geelong games for the year.
Love the big crowd games and testing our selves. Relying on a soft draw to make it anywhere won't help

Obviously going to be tough with only a 4 day break between the Saints game on 20 April and the Tigers game on Anzac Day eve.
4 days is enough to recover from an AFL game. Only slight injuries (knocks and corkies) may take 6-7 days to recover.

Rugby league guys play origin and then back up 3 days later. AFL players are primadonnas

They dont run 17km a game.

saying that, I think its the fans that are primadonnas tbh. Haven't heard any players complaining about it.

They dont run 17km a game.

saying that, I think its the fans that are primadonnas tbh. Haven't heard any players complaining about it.

Cam Smith was laying some thing like 60-80 tackles against blokes weighing 120 kgs and playing 35 league games in a season.
AFL players run about 12ks on average not 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Back