2018 Or 2022 Fifa World Cup Affecting The AFL Season?

Remove this Banner Ad

I read somewhere before 1 state = 1 venue, so docklands is free and SCG is free and Gabba etc. Perth will have 2 stadiums. Adelaide oval upgrade, so i doubt there is to much to worry about in the lead up.

Stop the season for 4 weeks and everyone plays each other once. I like that concept - sorta. Nah i prefer extending till last Saturday in October. October is bloody boring.

We wont get it.

England (2018) and USA (2022) as other posters have said.

"IF" we do get it then just play heaps of games at AAMI because SA aren;t going to be part of the whole world cup thing because AAMI and Adelaide Oval arent up to Soccers ghey standards.

Essendon Vs Collingwood at AAMI would be sweet! :p

guarantee you the SA Gov will do whatever is required to be apart of it IF they get the bid so they will definitely be apart of it.

Others have also pointed out our rather horrible time zone (in comparison to the northern hemisphere where the majority of WC support and viewing would come from) which would rule us out unfortunately.

Already been held in Japan/Korea so it doesn't rule us out. This isn't the Olympics where the Yanks decide where it is held and at what time of the day either.

I read somewhere before 1 state = 1 venue, so docklands is free and SCG is free and Gabba etc. Perth will have 2 stadiums. Adelaide oval upgrade, so i doubt there is to much to worry about in the lead up.

Stop the season for 4 weeks and everyone plays each other once. I like that concept - sorta. Nah i prefer extending till last Saturday in October. October is bloody boring.
Playing the GF at Etihad that year?

we're in a better position than the USA if Asia supports us (which looks a little more likely now that China have pulled out, but a little less likely with Japan bidding again).

FIFA weren't overly impressed with the 1994 World Cup. it wasn't particularly well run, the public didn't support it, it was a haven for boring football, and it didn't lead to an enormous take of football in that country.

the fact that we have the west Asian timezone in our favour is a big coup, and if we can prove that a country of 20million people is a vital cog in world football and it will lead to a growth of football infrastructure in this country, then we're in a very good position.

AFL would need to be delayed for the fact that no one would care, and availability of grounds. Because of FIFAs requirements regarding grounds, and for the the fact that I can't see Australia building 6 new stadiums, it will mean a lot of upgrades to current grounds and use of oval fields.

Docklands would be used along with the MCG and the Bubble Dome, as would Homebush and probably the SCG, and the Gabba would also be used. (if Adelaide doesn't build a new stadium it will be left out). NRL will be even worse hit because a lot of their grounds will need to be used as training bases.
What are you going on about? we only need 12 stadiums, not 20...2 from melb, 2 from sydney, 1 from brisbane will be fine...

Well, we only have 8 states/territories and you need 12 stadiums to host. The rule is one stadium, one city with the exception of the host city who can have two stadiums. Melbourne can have two stadiums, and sydney can have two if you count homebush as "West Sydney". Read my post on the Football Australia forum to find out how it can be done.

If Australia is successful with its bid for either the 2018 or 2022 world cup how would this affect the AFL season?, im guessing that it would be held in either June, July or August, which is smack bang in the middle of the AFL season, games would be held at all major stadiums around Australia, especially the MCG and Ethiad Stadium, so what will the AFL do?, will they have to move games to lower seatings stadiums or would the AFL season just stop dead for a month.

Discuss
The AFL should just book ahead and get in first!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's 5... Not 12.
Well done, you pass maths. There are other cities in Australia :thumbsu:
Seeing as you won't go to my post on the FFA board, i will copy and paste it here.

Melbourne

MCG (according to austadiums) is considering a revamp of the Great Sounthern Stand's interiour. Aus won't get the cup untill atleast 2022 , so you would think that this revamp would come in time for the world cup should we get it. ($100m)

Melb Rectangular Stadium: They designed it in a way so it can be revamped to 50,000 without too much hastle. ($100m)

West Sydney

Homebush: Could stay the same as it is, or they could put the ends back on that were used during the olymipics. ($0-100m)

Sydney

SFS: No change ($0)

Gold Coast

Skilled Park: +13,000 seats ($75m) ***

Adelaide

Make Adelaide Oval into a 60,000 seat multi purpose stadium. After the current redevelopment is completed, it will be around 40,000 seats. A grand stand replacing the don bradman stand, chapell stands and maybe the grass hill will suffice. (200-300m)

Perth

Subiaco last year was a whisker away from becoming a 70,000 seat stadium (with the capacity to be able to be expanded to 80,000), so surely if the world cup was won the state goverment would go ahead with this. (1000m)

Canberra

Bruce stadium: +15,000 seats, roof (200m) ***

Newcastle

EnergyAustralia Stadium: No change (I predict it will be 40,000 by this time, world cup or not) $0

Hobart

Hobart: I see one of the Victorian AFL teams moving down there in the next 10 years, and they need a stadium. A 40,000 multi purpose seater will be shared well with an a-leauge team. 500m

Geelong

Geelong: Skilled Stadium will be near enough 40,000 by this time, but it isn't much suited to the round ball game. 50m

Theres 12 stadiums, all meeting requirments.

The cost: 2,115,000,000-2,315,000,000
That's alot of money, although i see all of the stadiums being used afterwards to capacity. Also, alot of this sum comes from stadium upgrades which would have gone ahead, reguardless of the world cup (Subiaco, MCG, Geelong, Melbourne rectangular). Taking out these costs, we are left with a very, very, very rough total of 865,000,000-1,065,000,000. Is this cost justified by the world cup? I say yes. If Geelong doesn't sound good, they could upgrade dairy farmers stadium in townsville, but it is just too far away for mine. I wouldn't fancy a flight from Townsville to Perth.

*** signifies a white elephant post world cup.

Could you elaborate on this? You're knocking out Geelong as it is an Oval.., well so are the majority of the other stadiums you've mentioned!!
The other ovals i mentioned are bigger then 40,000, thus effecting less people (ie. how many people get a great view of the game at skilled would be less then say the MCG). The Hobart stadium will be a brand newy, so they would probably look at movable seats.

Geelong won't be a host city anyway but Kardinya Park would not have even been thought of by the FFA. Not a venue where a World Cup could be played even with upgrades.

Cut the season back to 18 rounds and have 4 week bye mid season, the season will run one round there over

Who cares about the logistics, hosting the World Cup is a once in a lifetime opportunity, the AFL has precedence comprimising its season thanks to the 2000 Olympic games

If Australia is successful with its bid for either the 2018 or 2022 world cup how would this affect the AFL season?, im guessing that it would be held in either June, July or August, which is smack bang in the middle of the AFL season, games would be held at all major stadiums around Australia, especially the MCG and Ethiad Stadium, so what will the AFL do?, will they have to move games to lower seatings stadiums or would the AFL season just stop dead for a month.

Discuss

In all seriousness, who cares?

Worrying about what happens to 1 season of our local domestic brand of football when the entire planet turns their eyes to us as we host the biggest show in the world is like ....

Getting invited to spend the night with Jessica Alba/Heather Graham/Jennifer Love Hewitt/<<insert the starlet of your choice>> and worrying about the fact you'll miss out on seeing Home and Away that evening...

Seems like it will be able to be worked around and making sure the least amount of games played in Melbourne the better during this time. Games scheduled in Tassie, Darwin, Canberra, the Gold Coast, etc. will make it easier.

Well we know that there'd be games on the GC, given they'd be in their 7th or 11th year of AFL by then.

I'd think it'd be more likely that the season would start, say, 2-3 weeks earlier and finish 2 weeks later, with a break for the WC.

And on the 2018 vs 2022 thing, Europe (read England) will get one of them, not necessarily 2018, but they won't be overlooked twice.

Apart from that, the only other bids to be taken seriously are ours, USA, and Mexico.

USA won't get it, 94 was widely seen as sub-standard, and the tournament wouldn't be given the reverence it deserves.

That, and there'd be no legacy to football. The ONLY thing that got the US over the line in 94 (and FIFA have been quoted on this) was the creation of the MLS. They have nothing to offer this time.

So it's us or Mexico, and against them, we'd have a pretty damn good shot.

TBH I don't care what happens to the AFL if we got the World Cup. It'd mean we got the World Cup!!!

Well we know that there'd be games on the GC, given they'd be in their 7th or 11th year of AFL by then.

I'd think it'd be more likely that the season would start, say, 2-3 weeks earlier and finish 2 weeks later, with a break for the WC.

And on the 2018 vs 2022 thing, Europe (read England) will get one of them, not necessarily 2018, but they won't be overlooked twice.

Apart from that, the only other bids to be taken seriously are ours, USA, and Mexico.

USA won't get it, 94 was widely seen as sub-standard, and the tournament wouldn't be given the reverence it deserves.

That, and there'd be no legacy to football. The ONLY thing that got the US over the line in 94 (and FIFA have been quoted on this) was the creation of the MLS. They have nothing to offer this time.

So it's us or Mexico, and against them, we'd have a pretty damn good shot.

TBH I don't care what happens to the AFL if we got the World Cup. It'd mean we got the World Cup!!!

... the US had the highest attendance of any FIFA world cup though.

Like I said before it'll only take a handwritten letter by Mr. Obama to give them the World Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Or 2022 Fifa World Cup Affecting The AFL Season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back