Injury 2013 Injury Updates Thread - another cluster of a year

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 21 update

Frawley, Dawes 50/50 for Freo

DEFENDER James Frawley and forward Chris Dawes are in the mix to return for this Sunday’s clash against Fremantle at the MCG.
The duo has missed the past two matches – Frawley with a hamstring problem and Dawes with a calf injury – but elite performance manager Dave Misson was hopeful the big men could return for round 21.
“He’s (Frawley) going really well in rehab. He ran very quickly yesterday, so he’s a chance for this week and we’re pretty confident he’s going to rehab well,” he told melbournefc.com.au.
“He’s (Dawes) a chance this week and he’s going OK in rehab, so we’ll just monitor him towards the end of the week.”

Mission sounded very positive re: Frawley.

Hogan back in the VFL this week after his rest.

Round 21 Melbourne injury list
Mitch Clark (foot) – season
Tom Couch (hamstring) – 2 weeks
Chris Dawes (calf) – test
Michael Evans (foot) – season
James Frawley (hamstring) – test
Tom Gillies (calf) – test
Mark Jamar (foot) – test
Cameron Pedersen (ill) – test
Nathan Stark (ankle) – test

I should make an army of them from all the different players (spuds) bodies.

I think the use of Pedersen's body nicely sums it up, unfortunately.

Pederson was on a drip last week. Will be back in the side this week

Round 22 update

Blease, Strauss, Byrnes are all out for the remaining two rounds. Frawley, Jamar and Dawes should all play this weekend.

Evans had foot surgery too.

Clark going well :rainbow:

“Byrnesy, we thought may have had a stress fracture in his navicular and that’s not the case. He’s just got some joint stuff going on around the foot, which we think will settle. He’ll probably be [sidelined] for two to four weeks.
“Bleasey just aggravated that ankle that he’s probably done three times this season, so we’ll have a bit of a look at that and have a surgeon look at that. He may or may not need surgery to fix it up. It’s not a major thing and he should get a full pre-season in.
“Straussy, unfortunately, is probably going to have to have surgery on the shoulder, but we’re hoping that it’s not the hamburger with the lot, shoulder reco. We’re hoping it’s more of a minor procedure. He’ll see the surgeon in the next few days.”

Key forward Mitch Clark (foot) and rookie Tom Couch (hamstring), who are out for the season, are ongoing with their rehabilitation.
“Both guys are going really well in rehab. Mitch, in particular, is starting to run fast again and he could potentially do a footy session with the team next week,” Misson said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did strauss actually do to his shoulder? was it a dislocation or something else?

Good question, when he was coming off the ground I thought it looked like a dislocation (with my zero expertise of course)... I don't know much about how shoulders work though.

Good question, when he was coming off the ground I thought it looked like a dislocation (with my zero expertise of course)... I don't know much about how shoulders work though.
Yeah for some reason I thought dislocation but I havent been able to find any info on what he actually did. the mention of a possible shoulder reco got me worried it's something else.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-09-11/mcdonald-set-to-miss-start-of-preseason

Haven't heard anything about this previously, but TMac is in for shoulder surgery so will miss the start of preseason. He mentioned that it is a stabilisation procedure after he hurt it at training so I'm thinking either subluxation or dislocation. If its the procedure i think it is then he will be better off in the long run but unfortunate to miss a fair chunk of preseason

^^^^^^^^ beat me by 2 mins! humbugs

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-09-11/mcdonald-set-to-miss-start-of-preseason

McDonald having shoulder surgery, 3 months before full-contact training. Will be able to run at the start of pre-season but limited in other ways. Not a reco but still significant surgery.

Part of me wishes they that they might've dropped him out earlier to get surgery. Not a lot to gain from playing him in the last 2-4 weeks of the season, and we had Pedersen, Sellar and Davis hanging around. Oh well - could be worse.

Hmmm ideal time to have surgery I guess. Such is life, better now than later on.
we could have sent him off with 6 weeks to go in the season like the eagles do, but then people would accuse us of tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back