Mega Thread 2011 Trade Talk (not draft talk)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tippett is a "high quality youngster though". It isn't like we are talking about trading in a 27yo player. Tippett's age and development, considering KPP take a little longer historically, fits in quite well with our rebuild.

Yep. Tippett could hold down full forward for the next 8-10 years. That'll do me.

Seems odd to me that we would be prepared to offer any more for Tippett than what we would receive from Freo fo Clark. It seems Adelaide are in much the same position as we were in last year with Clark, if they can get a trade for him this year they will be doing well, it seems Gold Coast can't afford him and hopefully we don't offer him too much coin. No way I would want to lose Redden for Tippett!!

I agree and whilst adopting a very simplistic view, see no reason why Tippett's worth is anymore than Clark's and would only offer whatever Freo offer us for Clark, or rather, what Adelaide would be willing to accept from Freo.

I agree that if we could get Tippett and retain an early pick that would be brilliant I just don't think it is a realistic possibility.

Also, I think we need to be careful not to have another case of the "Travis Johnstone's" regarding Tippett's age. He turns 25 halfway through next year, so I think it is reasonable for us to call him 24 in this discussion. Still a young KPP in my opinion and more importantly the same age as Mitch Clark.

Additionally, as a fellow 1987'r, this discussion of Tippett's age has made me realise, and fear, how 'old' I am getting!

I personally think this is a perfect out come for us- Clark + 3rd rounder or fringe player to Freo for either pick 6 (they get from port for Griffen) or pick 16 (if pick upgrade for Griffen doesent happen) + duffeild (or similar player, though rumor has Duffeild right in the mix), remember freo have a raft of younger players and beleive their window is open- like us in 2009 they may be willing to do whatever it takes to get Clark as he is seen as the final piece of the puzzle (God knows why, he is versitile but he spends half the season with his hands on his hips).

So that leaves us with Pick 8 plus, 6 or 16, and a few late first round draft picks. We then pass on the 6 or 8 pick for Tippet, lets do it- his got 8 years of footy left and we need height- he can ruck and he can (whilst never reaching his peak) kick goals. These players are a dime a dozen and we need a player of his type, we have clark leaving and a 6foot5 player like him (with a better attitude) waving his hand amougst the crowd saying "Pick me.. Pick Me", I dont think Goldie are interested they have so many tall forwards to play with and its in the Crows interests to let him go.. lets get it done, he is a perfect fit for a young devaloping team and for a sucsession plan for Brown and he will compliment PattyK and Acorn perfectly, infact in 2 years time that forward line looks scary.

So that leaves us with a pick 8 and a few later first round picks or a 16 and a few later first round picks.

I then sugest we make a play for Goldsack, another Queenslander. He is a tall defender raised in a winning culture.. I would sugest our compo pick would surfice here? Word from the pies is they cant retain him.

That elaves us with 8 or 16 for a quality young, to add to our young list that has already got some great players with game time under there belt. We have added height in Goldsack and Tippet, which we all agree is a massive problem, but we have also injected 'young' talent that have a role to play at the club- both Qld'ers too!, we should also probley use another 2nd or third round pick for another recylced ruck man or pick up a local tall in the PSD to come straight in and assist Leuey. (Why did we delist broc?, showed signs, must be more to it). That leaves us with a couple of decent draft picks and the team has shown they can make them sing.

Additions: Tippett, Gold sack, Duffeild, Recycled ruckman, Pick 16, pick draft picks in order that follow....Youngish players.. some height.. perfect for what we need to fill holes, good character and I agree.. Yes! we made some mistakes at the trade table, but we have since laid a foundation to build around, and! we have been put in a reasonable position to make this a possibilty. I beleive we should capitilise on it and inject some size and mid range experience whilst keeping with the younger players during a rebuild.

One thing that concerns me about the trade with Clark are the reports that the deal will be done sooner rather than later. Provided we achieve our desired outcome, I see no reason why this needs to get done as early as Monday. With talk that West Coast's Ebert and Freo's Griffen are both heading to Port, I think it would be prudent to see what compensation is flying around if it means we can push for a better deal from Freo.

I know Gubby isn't at the Lions anymore, but I still have cold sweats that we didn't make Carlton sweat up until the last minute with respects to the Fev trade and were so bloody accomodating...I just don't want history to repeat itself with this Clark trade, although having met the man a number of times, I have more faith with Kerr than I ever would with Gubby, who has te audacity to still try to screw the Lions with respect to Luke Power.

I would be expecting Kerr to act more like Kerr did last year (playing hardball with Sherman/Brenna and getting a creative, good result, etc) than acting like the previous bloke to wear the Brisbane Lions polo.

You know, because they are different people and people generally act like themselves more than other people...

So apparently the clark to freo trade will be announced first day of trade week but still unsure of what bris will get in return for clark. Also tippett could be at the lions next year with gc out of the hunt but most likely it will cost us a acorn or retzlaff. Hurry up october 10th!

I then sugest we make a play for Goldsack, another Queenslander. He is a tall defender raised in a winning culture.. I would sugest our compo pick would surfice here? Word from the pies is they cant retain him.

I'm a fan of Goldsack, but he isn't a Queenslander.

So apparently the clark to freo trade will be announced first day of trade week but still unsure of what bris will get in return for clark. Also tippett could be at the lions next year with gc out of the hunt but most likely it will cost us a acorn or retzlaff. Hurry up october 10th!

Tippett will cost us a top 10 pick and probably a player. They won't want Retzlaff though. He has no profile nationally and is a project player. Worth more to us than anyone else.

Re: Trade Talk (not draft talk) #2

My next door neighbour, who is a lion tells me it was reported on SEN that Beams wants to be traded to Brisbane. I didn't hear it, can anyone advise what they may have heard.

In addition I am also being told that Goldsack wants out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Trade Talk (not draft talk) #2

My next door neighbour, who is a lion tells me it was reported on SEN that Beams wants to be traded to Brisbane. I didn't hear it, can anyone advise what they may have heard.

In addition I am also being told that Goldsack wants out.

I wouldn't believe a thing that SEN comes out with. They have a proven track record of coming up b/s this time of the year.

And I wonder why no other media sources have mentioned this ?

Would be great if true. It's about time we get a bit of "home sick" factor coming our way...Who knows.

How about this for a rumour....Big Nick Riewoldt wants to return to Qld to play for the Lions!!! I'll ring SEN to see if they will float that rumour.

Tippett will cost us a top 10 pick and probably a player. They won't want Retzlaff though. He has no profile nationally and is a project player. Worth more to us than anyone else.
Yeah if the tippett trade gets done it would be a tricky trade. i rate acorn more that retzlaff. Think theres a chance of a beams moving north?

If he was dropped and not injured, yes. Salary cap may cause the ferrals to release a couple of decent types.

Haha gold. I remember seeing a Maggies fan on their board last week talking about how feral Hawthorns fans are, I was like "say whaaaaat"

I'm amazed with people's memories. Obviously when we went shopping a few years ago has been a blip on the radar for most people. Personally i think we should leave Tippet alone, cost being the main reason. I understand Clark wants out so we should let him go and get the best deal done. If Beams is true well then only our second round pick. We should be using our lower draft picks to build for the future. When we are doing well we trade players in. Will be absolutely spewing if we give away our early pick/s for Tippet.

I'm amazed with people's memories. Obviously when we went shopping a few years ago has been a blip on the radar for most people. Personally i think we should leave Tippet alone, cost being the main reason. I understand Clark wants out so we should let him go and get the best deal done. If Beams is true well then only our second round pick. We should be using our lower draft picks to build for the future. When we are doing well we trade players in. Will be absolutely spewing if we give away our early pick/s for Tippet.

Mate, the last trade period was so bad coz we got X Clark who has chronic knee injuries, maguire and buchanun who were past it and Fev who is a scum rat. The guys we are talking about getting are young talents.

You have a 17 year old footballer who is a forward-ruck. He has played no senior football and so the only exposure you have to him is against players his own age. You've watched him play maybe half a dozen times and analysed every second of vision many times over. You've really only got yours and your fellow club recruitment's staff opinions to go on. He's got weaknesses but so does every player his age. He is still growing so you aren't real sure physically what sort of man he will become. The same goes for his psychological state - the best you can do is interview him and his parents and hope your gut is right. When you sign him, you know that, on average, players of his age and type take at least 3 years to play regular senior footy and generally 5 before they are valuable parts of your side.

You have a 23 year old forward-ruck. You've seen him play live twice a year for the past few years against the best footballers in the country. Every game he has played in the past few years is on tape and you've watched every second. Every footy expert in the country has watched him play many times over. Your own players have played on him and your coaches have dissected his game - in today's footy there are no secrets so you know exactly how this player plays. He has got his weaknesses but most players do. He is fully grown so you know exactly what sort of physical specimen you are getting. He is psychologically mature so you know what sort of bloke he is. Besides, he has lived in a fishbowl for 5 years and so any off field issues are pretty much common knowledge. When you sign him, he is an automatic selection for round 1 and for the next 8 years.

You need the draft and you need trade week. But a blind adherence to drafting seems blinkered to me.

If Clark was staying, I wouldn't be wanting to chase Tippett. But we drafted Clark, developed him and now he is leaving. Why not look to trade in a bloke who plays the same position, is as good or better, and is roughly the same age?

POBT I think Warren has said he will look at him. Apparantly he's on over 600K/yr which is my main problem with picking him up.

I agree with the crux of your argument POBT, but a few people have mentioned '8 years' with Tippett - I don't see him playing until he's nearly 33. At 24.5 he's at the upper end of my desired trade-target age spectrum - but he's still in there.

I'm trying not to get carried away with the prospect of Tippett at our club though. Until proven otherwise I'm sticking with my stance that this is media conjured "what sounds plausible?".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back