2011 Trade Talk (not draft talk) #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team(s) was the worst during trade week?

Essendon or Fremantle for mine. Both put in a lot of time and effort to get a player (Caddy and Clark) but both were unable to get the deals over the line. The Jenkins trade was reasonable though.

Also Melbourne could've got a second rounder for Bate which would've been better than another year of him in their squad.

Which team(s) did the best?

Port did well to get Ebert for 28 I think. The Crows potentially had an amazing week depending on the improvement of Brown, Crouch, Lynch and Johnston all of which could end up very good footballers.

GWS and GC also did quite well.

Yeah, i think we did pretty well, not selling the farm, we turned losing a key player into inproving our draft position and we also meet some areas in our list that were lacking. I think we went after the right types of players, and when we couldn't get Tippett, we weren't tempted to sell the farm to do it. We have Browny, we can make do for a year and try again.

Report Card

Verdict: Losing Clark is a blow but given he quit the club they did well do get the best deal. And he did kick only 27 goals as a full-forward this year. Lose an ageing midfielder in Power and pick up an ageing ruckman to give Leuenberger a chop-out. Somehow managed to deny GWS two picks in the top 12 - a great result.

Good to see we are getting a bit of credibility back.

Would have preferred to give up pick 29/30 to secure Renouf than pick up Hudson. Don't agree with picking up a bloke for a year even it is for insurance measures.

Otherwise we did well to get some quality for a bloke already out the door, and to give Zorko a much deserved chance.

Would Renouf entertain the move to Brisbane knowing he is #2 ruckman behind Bergs when he wanted a trade for more game time ? Renouf might have been a better option, but i don't think it would have worked. He would have probably cost us 200-300k to play NEAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Trade Talk (not draft talk) #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back