1st Test New Zealand v Australia Feb 29-Mar 4 0830hrs @ the Basin Reserve

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I kept wicket for the Victorian indoor side, and there is no keeper in the world getting to that ball at that pace with that much deviation so close to the keeper. And ALL indoor keepers are pretty decent up to the stumps.
The only way it might happen is if you assume it might hit the batsman on the way through and you leave your body in that position outside the off stump and put the gloves extended out on the line of the ball and just take it on the body if it deviates... getting it with the gloves would be near impossible, as you're describing.

Ravindra is a star, already. Was huge in the World Cup. He gets 100, this will be very close

Who wins the first session tomorrow could decide the match, if we can get to lunch with Ravindra and Mitchell still there we are a big chance.

Even if we lose one wicket before lunch we will still be in with a chance but if we lose 2 or 3 wickets Australia should win it pretty comfortably

Must be the time for last wicket partnerships.

After Hazlewood/Green's effort yesterday, today Beau Webster & Riley Meredith put on 153 for Tassie against Victoria.

Theirs still problems with the Aussie batting line up.Been a problem since the Ashes last winter,going through our domestic summer.
Lucky our bowling attack is top notch.And gets us our winning results.

The bowling attack hasn't been that great away.. we barley win a thing away from home.

Away Tours since Pat Cummins joined Starc / Hazlewood.

2017 - Bangladesh - Drawn 1-1
2018 - South Africa - Lost 3-1
2018 - Pakistan in UAE - Lost 1-0
2019 - England - Drawn 2-2
2021 - Pakistan - Won 1-0
2022 - Sri Lanka - Drawn 1-1

Huge reason people rating these quicks ahead of McGrath.. he legit won a series away against every Test Nation.

Last edited:
Kiwis bowled well today, particularly Phillips. However it was a woefully arrogant batting performance from Australia.

Khawaja, Head and Carey in particular should hang their heads in shame for the needlessly irresponsible shots which lead to their dismissals. Cummins was not far behind, although he was lucky to be dropped whilst playing dumb slogs.

Kiwis in their 2nd dig are displaying the grit and application sadly missing from the Australia innings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kiwis bowled well today, particularly Phillips. However it was a woefully arrogant batting performance from Australia.

Khawaja, Head and Carey in particular should hang their heads in shame for the irresponsible shots which lead to their dismissals. Cummins was not far behind, although he was lucky to be dropped whilst playing dumb slogs.
Agreed. Even if one of those guys could have scored another 20 runs no chance of a miracle…now…who knows…

Can’t see how NZ win this. There’s no way after what we’ve seen they are chasing that total down. Day 4 will be dryer but there’ll still be plenty for the bowlers. Can see Lyon finishing with 6.
Stranger things have happened, it's just annoying that we have let the door open just that little bit with another 2nd innings batting collapse

The bowling attack hasn't been that great away.. we barley win a thing away from home.

Away Tours since Pat Cummins joined Starc / Hazlewood.

2017 - Bangladesh - Drawn 1-1
2018 - South Africa - Lost 3-1
2018 - Pakistan in UAE - Lost 1-0
2019 - England - Drawn 2-2
2021 - Pakistan - Won 1-0
2022 - Sri Lanka - Drawn 1-1

Huge reason people rating these quicks ahead of McGrath.. he legit won a series away against every Test Nation.
Here I was thinking Cricket was a team sport. None of these bowlers have bad away records over now long careers. Almost like McGrath played with a far better overall batting side or something. Who even compares individual players like this? Comparing teams is one thing but players who had different teammates? Bizarre.

Its good for Test cricket seeing some competitive games / upsets.
Australia needs to lose for the good of Test Cricket. That old chestnut lol, you're on a roll

Here I was thinking Cricket was a team sport. None of these bowlers have bad away records over now long careers. Almost like McGrath played with a far better overall batting side or something. Who even compares individual players like this? Comparing teams is one thing but players who had different teammates? Bizarre.

Bowlers win matches of which this foursome have failed to do consistently away while McGrath Warne and co done it regularly and you can't say they haven't been in decent positions because they have bottled it on quite a few occasions.

Bowlers win matches of which this foursome have failed to do consistently away while McGrath Warne and co done it regularly and you can't say they haven't been in decent positions because they have bottled it on quite a few occasions.
No, TEAMS win matches. They've bottled it over a few occasions over 7 or so years? What a bunch of duds. What occasions are you talking about? Leeds 2019? They also rolled the opposition for 67 that game. What other times did the bowlers clearly lose us an away match? I can only think of a few times the bowling was super poor. This bowling unit is not perfect but it's clearly been the batting that has let the team down for a long time now. Why some focus on the bowlers so much is beyond me.

I don't even think any of the current bowlers are better than McGrath/Warne, but to say those two were better because they won away more with clearly better batting is weird stuff. Give this current bowling group that top 7 and they win away from home more too. Amazing isn't it?

Our cricket team has always been focused on in groups and out groups, for as long as I can remember. The guys in the in group get more chances, the guys in the out group get limited chances and get dropped quickly.

Doesn't really matter re: Bancroft and Harris anyway though, they aren't good enough.
Brad Hodge says hello

Yeah mate, they were reckless and wasteful and not for the first time. It's an ongoing problem.
Backing one's strengths and playing with freedom is one thing, but some situations require steady caution and knuckling down. Sure, put away the bad ball, but with 3 days left in the Test a carefully constructed lead of 450+ would have utterly demoralised the Kiwis.
That required a second dig of only 246. That 164 was pathetic and think how much worse it would have been had Southee held the Lyon chance last night :oops:.
Khawaja, Head and Carey in particular should hang their heads in shame for the needlessly irresponsible shots which lead to their dismissals.

Add Smith and Labuschagne. Smith's shot works after he's got his eye in. Third ball faced, opening, not long to bat? Ridiculous. :drunk:
Lab's just noodling around, out of form. I can't remember the last time I saw such a fluent player so confused.
Damien Martyn maybe.

I think it's only the second time Khawaja has been stumped. So out-of-character, after sticking around.
I can forgive Head and Carey who live and die by the sword, IF they were under Team orders to hit out.

I think a decent umpire gives that
I agree totally and am still mystified by the not out.

My understanding is that if you're hit (on the full, which he was on his toe) in line between the two wickets it's assumed that the ball will go on to hit the stumps since there is no deviation from hitting the pitch.
Is that not the case?
Ball tracking showed that Lyon's delivery was going to stay on its air trajectory and pass down the leg side, which is rubbish. It would have turned had it hit the pitch and was most likely going to hit the stumps.
I guess "most likely" doesn't cut it?
I thought the rule was if it hits you on the full in front of the stumps the angle sort of gets taken out of it and you assume it’s going straight? I must be making that up?
Yes, I thought same thing, if it's in the line of the 2 wickets.

Back