Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got an audition tomorrow, another on Monday and a player with eye catching body art is playing a numerically significant game against my team today.

So here's a couple of debutantes to the RZSS. One of New Zealand's finest new wave bands and the UK's fabulously named Splodgenessabounds with their "hit"

Morning all,

The sun’s starting to fill my bedroom with light. This seems appropriate - another song from my Psychedelic ‘80’s Mix.

Last song for the night and first song for the day. Headphones off. PJ’s on.

Last edited:
I love that Norman Cook was in The Housemartins.

Great track Pamcake1 - it reminds me a little of this one:

Still in my Aotearoa 80’s Indie Jangle Pop head space. Happy.

This was a truly golden era of music in Aotearoa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morning all.

Off to the Croxton tonight to see Radio Birdman.

One week to go and then a couple of weeks off. As ever, falling over the line.

Morning all.

Off to the Croxton tonight to see Radio Birdman.

One week to go and then a couple of weeks off. As ever, falling over the line.

I saw them about three years ago at the Governor Hindmarsh. This track was one of the highlights of the night.

The The

Matt Johnson in London.

Matt Johnson in London.CREDIT: HELEN EDWARDS

Armageddon seemed vividly imminent when The The last played Melbourne in 2018, but somehow the UK art-rock doomsayers’ multimedia visions of global collapse have survived to awe us all over again. The Ensouled World Tour that kicks off in the UK in September will only be the second outing from Matt Johnson’s apocalyptic vehicle in more than 20 years. While he’s revealed nothing else so far, past visits would indicate an unmissable collision of gallows humour, cinematic media and grim prophesying about “Kentucky Fried genocide” for The Beate(en) Generation. The Ensouled title implies we might get his first album in 24 years too, so maybe the end of the world is not as nigh as we thought.The Palais, November 17
The whole moginie household loves Matt Johnson. Those first two albums are absolutely freaking brilliant and get frequent play.

That said, I'm not going to pay over $150 to see him. I realise that he won't be back, but this won't be the seminal Bowie tour of 2004. I seriously doubt that Matt would perform many of the tracks off Infected which is such a driving, focused album. Nor would Neneh Cherry be the backing vocalist. (She's absolutely wonderful. Our whole family met her when she did Womad about 10 years ago. She was so gracious with her time and wonderfully engaging)

Anyway, that's my old man spit. I did two auditions this week and didn't get either of them. You'd think after all this time in the game I'd be used to rejection, but I'm pleased to say that it still hurts and I'm just going to dust myself off and go again.

Have a great weekend folks!

The whole moginie household loves Matt Johnson. Those first two albums are absolutely freaking brilliant and get frequent play.

That said, I'm not going to pay over $150 to see him. I realise that he won't be back, but this won't be the seminal Bowie tour of 2004. I seriously doubt that Matt would perform many of the tracks off Infected which is such a driving, focused album. Nor would Neneh Cherry be the backing vocalist. (She's absolutely wonderful. Our whole family met her when she did Womad about 10 years ago. She was so gracious with her time and wonderfully engaging)

Anyway, that's my old man spit. I did two auditions this week and didn't get either of them. You'd think after all this time in the game I'd be used to rejection, but I'm pleased to say that it still hurts and I'm just going to dust myself off and go again.

Have a great weekend folks!
Rejection always hurts for creatives, the act of creating takes real effort and recognition is a firefly in a storm. Success of accolades/prizes/awards are the glossy flattery, that recede rapidly, the warmest breezes are found in making something out of air-day in day out. Having the fortitude, courage and generosity to contribute in creating our culture is the measure.
We ride the winds, it's always been so.

Wishing all surfers a great weekend.
Love Neneh!

IMG_0424.jpeg
1983 ‘Origins of Marketplace Society - The Transition From Feudalism to Capitalism’

One of the best books I read as an undergraduate, in one of my most interesting subjects. Great to see it back in print and in the news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back