Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

this video doesn't work.
That’s a stinker. The YouTube account was closed after I posted the video. Well at least we had it for a few days.

Edit: All is well, I found another.

Buckley's improbable survival is believed by many Australians to be the source of the vernacular phrase, "you've got Buckley's or none" (or simply "you've got Buckley's"), which means "no chance", or "it's as good as impossible". The Macquarie Dictionary supports this theory. The Australian National Dictionary Centre deprecates a second theory:[69] that the expression was a pun on the name of a now defunct Melbourne department store chain, Buckley & Nunn[70] because this second explanation "appears to have arisen after the original phrase was established".[71]

The phrase “Buckley’s chance” spread outward from Australia with emigration and into the vernacular of other countries. For example, John Kennedy O’Brien (1907–1979, AKA Jack O’Brien) used this phrase to highlight inter-town travel difficulties following New Zealand’s Murchison Earthquake of 1929; “...from what Mr O’Brien saw of the country, the...man had only Buckley’s chance of reaching his goal”.[72] Although John himself was born in New Zealand, his father, Kennedy Hugh O’Brien (1874-1927), was a native of Victoria, Australia, having emigrated to New Zealand in the mid-1890s, bringing some forms of colloquial language with him. “Buckley’s chance”, it seems, came with him.

Last edited:

Good Morning Surfers,
back from the wilds of being the Alpha Wolf and running wild with a pack and everyone else in WW.
I had fun exercising my acting chops and playing the comedy for what it was worth, in the full immersion of a fantasy world. Games still running, so I can't talk about it but I will say that my Granny kept telling me the answer and I had to not listen for it to be fair and that was hard.
Buckley's & Nunn the outcome of the commission with the name of the connect on the front. I love this original piece of paper ephemera and the story of having Buckley's is up there with a Furphy.
Uniquely Australian as is ThunderBox which I always teach my French friends about for our mutual hysterics.
You were/are so right Moginie about your comment on living on hope/auditioning. Always a tough one to assimilate.
Thanks for the Birthday song Kimba. It has been and gone and was a mixed bag as always.
I remember back to my first memory of having a birthday which was my 4th at kindergarten just down the road from here and Mum making a Smartie face birthday cake from the one square cake tin she had at the time. Not only do I remember vividly the colours of the Smarties on the cake this is probably the first time I had lollies of any kind.
It's a marvel that my Mother held down a full time teaching job had 4 children and husband, made all our clothes including underwear, cooked all the meals etc. Dad did the child minding and a lot of the housework while running his Architecture practise from the front of the terrace house in Carlton.
Where she found the time to make a cake to take to Kindergarten to share I'll never know.
So that Beatles song gets played for mine and other birthdays, full of energy and great to dance to.
The other 2 songs markers for where I'm at, rolling on.

Good Morning Surfers,
back from the wilds of being the Alpha Wolf and running wild with a pack and everyone else in WW.
I had fun exercising my acting chops and playing the comedy for what it was worth, in the full immersion of a fantasy world. Games still running, so I can't talk about it but I will say that my Granny kept telling me the answer and I had to not listen for it to be fair and that was hard.
Buckley's & Nunn the outcome of the commission with the name of the connect on the front. I love this original piece of paper ephemera and the story of having Buckley's is up there with a Furphy.
Uniquely Australian as is ThunderBox which I always teach my French friends about for our mutual hysterics.
You were/are so right Moginie about your comment on living on hope/auditioning. Always a tough one to assimilate.
Thanks for the Birthday song Kimba. It has been and gone and was a mixed bag as always.
I remember back to my first memory of having a birthday which was my 4th at kindergarten just down the road from here and Mum making a Smartie face birthday cake from the one square cake tin she had at the time. Not only do I remember vividly the colours of the Smarties on the cake this is probably the first time I had lollies of any kind.
It's a marvel that my Mother held down a full time teaching job had 4 children and husband, made all our clothes including underwear, cooked all the meals etc. Dad did the child minding and a lot of the housework while running his Architecture practise from the front of the terrace house in Carlton.
Where she found the time to make a cake to take to Kindergarten to share I'll never know.
So that Beatles song gets played for mine and other birthdays, full of energy and great to dance to.
The other 2 songs markers for where I'm at, rolling on.
It’s a Birthday Song Baddonk-fest!

I’ve always loved this song off Station to Station. Bowie’s homage to Iggy’s TV set. I suspect there were drugs involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vale John Blackman.
I may not have watched a lot of Hey Hey it's Saturday but he was a master of the AD-Lib and live TV.

… and a long time Fitzroy supporter.

Vale John Blackman.
I may not have watched a lot of Hey Hey it's Saturday but he was a master of the AD-Lib and live TV.

I worked with him in 2006. It was an absolute thrill. He was a lovely man. Razor sharp and lightening quick.

I watched the above 'indoctrination'!
A very young John Blackman indeed.
I really enjoyed looking at the very old to mid last century footage, hearing the Australian voices and speaking patterns of the past. The old playing style, the mud pit of the grounds, old jumpers and kit, seeing the tribal crowds, Fitzroy streetscapes and looking at the extraneous details such as Kevin Murrays puka shell necklace. Change waits for no one.

Last edited:
My favourite clash song for Saturday.
In 1994 I rounded the corner of the Rue de Vieille Temple on my way home from working at the Atellier Lacourrier et Frelaut and an 'Apero' out to see a band covering this song in front of Cafe Les Philosophes*.
It was the Fete Musique, I stayed out all night.

I watched the above 'indoctrination'!
A very young John Blackman indeed.
I really enjoyed looking at the very old to mid last century footage, hearing the Australian voices and speaking patterns of the past. The old playing style, the mud pit of the grounds, old jumpers and kit, seeing the tribal crowds, Fitzroy streetscapes and looking at the extraneous details such as Kevin Murrays puka shell necklace. Change waits for no one.
You know, you could support Carlton in the AFL Pamcake1 and Fitzroy in the VAFA. Local footy is a lot of fun. That way you would have both sides of Nicholson Street covered.

Last edited:
Fashion Files:

Cults have generally always operated by exploiting and manipulating women and families.
Manson, Jim Jones, Anne Hamilton Byrnes all, did this to establish themselves.
Once established then cultivating the influential for protection and disemination.
A tried and true formular.
This story below reminded me of 'The Family' the cult that established itself here in Melbourne through a Yoga school initially.
'The Family' had influential adherents in both the education and medical sectors at the time.
Cults are preditory entities always looking for converts, converts as fodder and converts of 'influence'.
My personal experience of Cults is knowing, converts from my cohort to the 'Children of God' in the 70's, The Rajneshees as they operated in the 70's and the Melb's biggy The Family, who tried to recruit my Mother through an influential ex-lecturer at Melb Uni.
Cults, very fashionable in the 1970's when there was general turmoil in society and 'beliefs' became unhooked from organised religion and took root in various alternative arrangements.

I'm curious as to how the concepts of 'Cults' have changed currently and whether they are due to become 'back in fashion' in a big way any time soon.
On the one hand I know that they have never not existed always there festering in some corner or another.
In the 1980's there was a big push from the American Fundementalists into Australia looking for adherents - bodies -fodder for their expansion programs, ongoing since the 50's. An expansion drive both for their economics as much as 'spreading the word'.

I remember going to the big tent revival of Jim Bakkers (Assemblies of God TV Evangelist) extravaganza in 1985 or 86 that was set up in Richmond where Ashton's Circus would usually be.
I went with a friend who I normally saw bands with, both of us wanting to see first hand the Event.
Both of us cynical about this TV Evangelist and this was a great opportunity to do some homework, me because this was the subject of my artwork at the time and he because being in the music business he wanted to see the 'Act' and how it opperated as a show.
Admittedly neither of us were pure, having partook the earthly sacrements prior, we watched the show. It was the full extravaganza, the talking in tongues, the conversion of miracles from the audience, the shill for the unholy dollars required as sacrifice for the cause.
A memorable night long ago in the exotic adventutres of subversive cultural investigations in Melb's.

This article while of serious concern, triggered the above memory and in no way do I dismiss the seriousness of the subject or the damage that is done by Cults and cultish beliefs.

Last edited:
Sunday Magazine reading.
This was an interesting interview.

On the topic of political correctness:
"But the bigger problem — and I think the true threat to art and the creation of art — is the consolidation of money and power. All this siloing of studios and outlets and streamers and distributors — I don’t think it’s good for the creative voice. So that’s what I want to say in terms of the threat to art." JD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back