Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

If you watch him live, he's actually quite a good defender. He doesn't have enough muscle to outbody opponents so he concedes a few goals, but he positions himself very well. I'd like to keep him at HBF, because I'd love the idea of him shutting down a forward, and then torching them on the rebound.

Agreeed, being my fav player I watch him extremely closely. Great positioning, the only thing he needs to bring into his game is follow up efforts. Like he will dish off a hand ball but wont run up for the 1-2, or he wont Sheppard. Bring that into his game and he will be great.

Add me to those who don't see the rush to get him into the midfield. He is obviously learning a lot in his current role and is very effective there too. Plenty of time to integrate him into the guts going forward.

I've already seen him in the midfield plenty of times this year. He gets it around def50 jets to midfield and usually kicks to advantage. Exactly what we need from a HBFer.

If he doesn't eventuate into the guts could become quite a special quarterback (I know people don't like the term but you know what I mean!)

Add me to those who don't see the rush to get him into the midfield. He is obviously learning a lot in his current role and is very effective there too. Plenty of time to integrate him into the guts going forward.

I think he'll go in to the midfield when mullet and mckenzie are ready to hold down full time spots in defence.

Reflecting on the first half of the year I can't help but be really excited about Atley. There's a lot of talk about Bastinac and Ziebell but there is a real chance Atley could exceed both, has genuine line breaking speed and evasiveness that only Wells' matches in our squad.

One of our most improved in 2012 so far.

A couple more pre-seasons into the boy and he'll be a star.

Yep - the club was very excited when he was available that year as they hadn't even considered him thinking he would go top 10. Gonna be a star!

I'm as disgusted as anyone at today's performance, but thought I would put praise where I think it's due.

He made mistakes like most of his mates today, but this guy's ability to gather in traffic and get out of a congested area is already ELITE. Time and again in the first half he would have clean hands and an electric turn of pace. And the most valuable asset he has is the ability to turn on a dime without losing any acceleration.

I love the way he backs himself in a tight spot and I love the way he backs himself on the last line. Unfortunately too often today the only option for him after taking possession was sideways or backwards.

He is simply a jet.

Yep. Hall of Famer in the making. Do you have to be retired to be nominated?

Those suggest throwing him in the midfield: long-term yes you're right but the whole reason he was moved to half back was to get behind the ball and stay in the game longer, played in the middle last year as an 18 year old and had some great moments (v. Geelong) but he has clearly taken a great step in his development this year do credit to Scott for the move.

Question is do we do something left field to get Harper more involved? I doubt HB is the right move, and perhaps he's a finisher so he may improve once the team pulls there finger out, but food for thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching the hawthorn replay (1st time viewing) and saw Atleys shrugged tackle and boot to ball goal from 50. Very nice. As with every other north highlight so far this Qtr Spermie focused on Puopolo's poor effort. Atley creates, will only get better from here.
note.Firrito has been poor.

5 mins to go in the first, I should probably press stop and remove it from my IQ yeah?

Just watching the hawthorn replay (1st time viewing) and saw Atleys shrugged tackle and boot to ball goal from 50. Very nice. As with every other north highlight so far this Qtr Spermie focused on Puopolo's poor effort. Atley creates, will only get better from here.
note.Firrito has been poor.

5 mins to go in the first, I should probably press stop and remove it from my IQ yeah?

Only if you want to avoid creating a public disturbance in your living room.

I sat through it siren to siren. Atley had a crack. That's about all I'm going to say about the last 2 hrs of my life.
You sure is crazy OE.

As im sure you're all aware, I love this kid. (Got a hug off him last night :thumbsu:). After ever goal in the fourth quarter he jumped around like he'd kicked the goal himself. He was loving it. We got a one club star here.

The umpires gave him no favours either.
Agreed, two perfect spoils that he got frees against him for? Wtf was that (looked perfect from the ground anyway, watching the game tonight)

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back