AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Four things worry me about Perkins.

1. He isn't quick so either gets caught holding the ball or rushes his disposal under pressure
2. Isn't a good clearance player so therefore doesn't have much impact as a mid.
3. Doesn't know where to position himself without the ball so therefore doesn't defend.
4. Goes missing for large chunks of the game which is in part due to number 3.

One or two things are manageable. All 4 is a little concerning, although I think he can improve the last 2 to become a valuable player.

He doesn't need to be a star of the competition. If he can reach the level of a player like Heeney then it's a good pick. Although Heeney hasn't reached the heights we thought he'd reach, he is still a good player for Sydney that has the occasional elite game. I'm hoping Perkins can be that player too. He certainly has the potential. I hope he can reach it.
Archie Perkins tested really well in agility and 20 sprint at the draft. His speed is definitely not an issue. Rarely seen him caught with the ball let alone brought down with the ball.

He has played midfield, but has rarely been tapped too. Majority of the time he has been playing a defensive role on their go to player. It’s hard to say whether he is a good clearance player or not. He is definitely unbelievably strong in the hips and always able to get hands free while being tackled which is an elite skill for a midfielder that even Merrett and parish don’t hold.

As for not knowing where to go, and going missing, he is playing the hardest position on the ground. Not able to play deep because of 2mp, stringer Langford, resting ruck all better in that role than him. He is stuck between playing defensive mid and filling gaps in a forward line that has pretty average ball movement.

But in the end he is still one of our best finishers. plenty of scoring opportunities are created from
Perkins standing up in tackles and releasing players. He is also still incredibly young. He might make it as a mid he might not, degoey made it there Langford did not, but what we do have is a highly talented kid that just needs time and potentially a bigger role.

Archie Perkins tested really well in agility and 20 sprint at the draft. His speed is definitely not an issue. Rarely seen him caught with the ball let alone brought down with the ball.

He has played midfield, but has rarely been tapped too. Majority of the time he has been playing a defensive role on their go to player. It’s hard to say whether he is a good clearance player or not. He is definitely unbelievably strong in the hips and always able to get hands free while being tackled which is an elite skill for a midfielder that even Merrett and parish don’t hold.

As for not knowing where to go, and going missing, he is playing the hardest position on the ground. Not able to play deep because of 2mp, stringer Langford, resting ruck all better in that role than him. He is stuck between playing defensive mid and filling gaps in a forward line that has pretty average ball movement.

But in the end he is still one of our best finishers. plenty of scoring opportunities are created from
Perkins standing up in tackles and releasing players. He is also still incredibly young. He might make it as a mid he might not, degoey made it there Langford did not, but what we do have is a highly talented kid that just needs time and potentially a bigger role.
I think that’s a good point that you make in that last year he was assigned that defensive role in the middle on opposition mids which in turn would limit his clearance potential.

Agree with a lot of this but he does not naturally read the ball well in the clinches. He is not an accumulator, and he’s not a contested beast who can go and win it for you and win it again, so he will need to find another way. Which to me is mainly forward half forward and then in the middle it’s defend first, then spread. Which I’m ok with but people shouldn’t be expecting +20 possessions if that’s his role

Four things worry me about Perkins.

1. He isn't quick so either gets caught holding the ball or rushes his disposal under pressure
2. Isn't a good clearance player so therefore doesn't have much impact as a mid.
3. Doesn't know where to position himself without the ball so therefore doesn't defend.
4. Goes missing for large chunks of the game which is in part due to number 3.

One or two things are manageable. All 4 is a little concerning, although I think he can improve the last 2 to become a valuable player.

He doesn't need to be a star of the competition. If he can reach the level of a player like Heeney then it's a good pick. Although Heeney hasn't reached the heights we thought he'd reach, he is still a good player for Sydney that has the occasional elite game. I'm hoping Perkins can be that player too. He certainly has the potential. I hope he can reach it.
Don't disagree with a lot of this, other than your first point. Not sure I've seen him get caught holding the ball very often - has a great sidestep and strong hips which allows him to shake a lot of tackles, and is also usually strong enough to get a handball out if he does get wrapped up. Take your other points though, and like the Heeney comparison/hopes (other than Heeney seeming like a total and utter w*nker)

Archie played on the wing a bit

Which ive been calling for

Im still not sure id rsther Durham inside and Archie outside, but i still really like that were looking at Perkins as a wingman

Hes had a fair bit of opportunity to develop his game and hasnt really taken the jump

With Ridley injury he will probabky be required on a wing far more for the first 3 weeks if hes to get a game

Im glad Scotty is listening

He could be a real solid role player on a wing for a bit. His endurance, line breaking and size suits the role very nicely
Who's Scotty listening to?

Just Keystone
c9b8d36cee79bc60e81d5aa0b9c56cf3.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The result of picking a bloke with talent and just get 50 games into him, even if some undeserved. Wasnt a big fan of selecting Tsatas but there is a lesson here on how we should develop him. Just has to play and get middle minutes. Absolutely outstanding performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back