Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

It is something we do well as a club IMO - not panicking.

Backing ourselves in going to the draft over trading when we were in the bottom four; backing Horse in when we had a few lean years.

I think calmness at the top bleeds into the rest of the club as confidence.
Really?

I really notice that when we are protecting leads aka surrendering momentum.

That said, congrats and best of luck Callum.

My guess is that Parker will be stand-in skipper but I'm VERY interested in who will be vice-captain(s). He (or they) will probably be announced at the same time closer to the season start, also the leadership group, assuming that that structure remains the same.

hope we move away from participation ribbon LGs. A smaller group who exhibit on and offfield leadership would be great.

Parker and Rampe both merit plaudits for their contributions.I hope they both pick up more mentoring roles as discussed in our leadership thread.

I'm delighted to see Callum continue as captain. He has earnt the right and is utterly dependable. But for his injury I was almost expecting that he might be appointed sole captain this season, however with him due to miss the first half of the season the move has slightly surprised me. Then again, on reflection, it's a simple thing to get others to stand in as captain in the interim (there are plenty of options) and there's no need to let the injury change the club's approach.

I chatted briefly to Callum at training on Monday. I decided to ask him what he thought about the expression 'Battle of the Bridge'. I have always hated it but fortunately you nearly never hear anyone from our club use that phrase - except that it came up not that long ago when Taylor Adams referenced it and I have decided to reinforce the message that we fans (at least this one) don't like it. Cal played a straight bat but seemed supportive. I asked him "do you endorse it?" - he said he wasn't sure. Then he asked me what I thought. I told him I hated it. Anyway which bridge? He said "exactly". I said people say it's the Anzac bridge but does that imply that Swans fans are only on one side of the bridge and exclude the rest. He said "exactly". We left it there. Still, I feel satisfied to have sowed these ideas in the mind of our new stand-alone captain ahead of the season.

I'm delighted to see Callum continue as captain. He has earnt the right and is utterly dependable. But for his injury I was almost expecting that he might be appointed sole captain this season, however with him due to miss the first half of the season the move has slightly surprised me. Then again, on reflection, it's a simple thing to get others to stand in as captain in the interim (there are plenty of options) and there's no need to let the injury change the club's approach.

I chatted briefly to Callum at training on Monday. I decided to ask him what he thought about the expression 'Battle of the Bridge'. I have always hated it but fortunately you nearly never hear anyone from our club use that phrase - except that it came up not that long ago when Taylor Adams referenced it and I have decided to reinforce the message that we fans (at least this one) don't like it. Cal played a straight bat but seemed supportive. I asked him "do you endorse it?" - he said he wasn't sure. Then he asked me what I thought. I told him I hated it. Anyway which bridge? He said "exactly". I said people say it's the Anzac bridge but does that imply that Swans fans are only on one side of the bridge and exclude the rest. He said "exactly". We left it there. Still, I feel satisfied to have sowed these ideas in the mind of our new stand-alone captain ahead of the season.
The only people who refer to it as Battle of the Bridge are Vic based media./players. And I've worked hard over the years to respond very very strongly when ever they mention it. Because I loath that moniker with a passion. I also think its really disrespectful to BOTH teams to refer to it as anything else but the Derby. I mean, would they refer to the SA the Battle of the Parks or anything else but the Showdown? No they wouldn't. So why do it for the NSW teams?

Not having a shot. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm interested in why you think that given that the club has come out behind him.
Nothing to do with his shoulder

He had one really good season as a mid, still think hes better in defence and even in the 3 captain period with rampe and parker, i felt that he (on television at least) was the least vocal of the 3

I cant put my finger on it but I just feel underwhelmed by Mills in a leadership role and maybe he's there because no one else is in the age bracket yet

more edits; its the leading part of being a leader im not convinced by. i saw way more mentoring, guiding etc from rampe and parker

again i hope to be wrong

Last edited:

He had one really good season as a mid, still think hes better in defence and even in the 3 captain period with rampe and parker, i felt that he (on television at least) was the least vocal of the 3

I cant put my finger on it but I just feel underwhelmed by Mills in a leadership role and maybe he's there because no one else is in the age bracket yet

more edits; its the leading part of being a leader im not convinced by. i saw way more mentoring, guiding etc from rampe and parker

again i hope to be wrong
Thanks, I hear what you're saying. Hope you end up wrong, or that there are enough others to make up any gap.

again i hope to be wrong
I also hope to have to eat my hat, but I am also not sure of Callum as captain.

Maybe I am too old school but my sense is that he wants to be one of the fellas more than a leader. A few instances jump out at me:
1. Celebrating early for Florents non-goal, showing a lack of mental fortitude to focus on doing every last little thing to help the team win, even if unlikely to be needed
2. Getting injured while mucking around with a rookie
3. Going missing in the last GF (maybe my memory is off but I think he went missing big time)
4. Playing the previous GF (2016?) while still being injured - he rushed himself back and took a role from someone who got us there
5. This one is the most subjective, but just the way he talks and holds himself. He sounds like he is a good student and follows the script - but he doesn’t sound like he leads. I don’t hear vision, purpose or original thought. Maybe it comes out behind the scenes, but I just don’t see it.

That said, I don’t think he will be a bad captain - and if he is popular with players and sets high training standards then that may be enough, given the strength of our list.

I think it will be good for Parker to drop the mantle and focus on leading with a bruising example. Rampe can transition to the teacher role and if form falls away, it wont be an issue to “rest” him.

I actually wouldn’t have minded it for Adams to be made vice captain, it was probably too early though.

Mills' first year as captain he was All Australian and we made a grand final. Sure, he was sharing duties, but I think it suggests that having Mills in such a leadership position isn't going to be detrimental to us as a team.

Unpopular opinion but I feel the captain is largely a symbolic role that isn't as important as having a broader leadership structure beneath him. There have been plenty of stellar captains of ordinary teams because the leadership around them hasn't been there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also hope to have to eat my hat, but I am also not sure of Callum as captain.

Maybe I am too old school but my sense is that he wants to be one of the fellas more than a leader. A few instances jump out at me:
1. Celebrating early for Florents non-goal, showing a lack of mental fortitude to focus on doing every last little thing to help the team win, even if unlikely to be needed
2. Getting injured while mucking around with a rookie
3. Going missing in the last GF (maybe my memory is off but I think he went missing big time)
4. Playing the previous GF (2016?) while still being injured - he rushed himself back and took a role from someone who got us there
5. This one is the most subjective, but just the way he talks and holds himself. He sounds like he is a good student and follows the script - but he doesn’t sound like he leads. I don’t hear vision, purpose or original thought. Maybe it comes out behind the scenes, but I just don’t see it.

That said, I don’t think he will be a bad captain - and if he is popular with players and sets high training standards then that may be enough, given the strength of our list.

I think it will be good for Parker to drop the mantle and focus on leading with a bruising example. Rampe can transition to the teacher role and if form falls away, it wont be an issue to “rest” him.

I actually wouldn’t have minded it for Adams to be made vice captain, it was probably too early though.
I think what happens within the four walls is very different to what is played out in the media.
Horses press conferences are a classic example - plays everything with a straight bat. Reckon Mills is the same.

I reckon he'll be an awesome captain and his appointment is a another step in the changing of the guard at the Swans

Now with Parker & Adams out for at least a month, my thoughts & harshness on Mills has been reinforced.
Off field clowning around for a second time in his career has now hurt the club badly with the on field injuries to key players before we have even had the first bounce of the season.

Mills has signed on big money.
Ollie wines was overlooked for the captaincy at Port.
His water-skiing off season injury comes to mind.
I repeat.
We have dropped our standards.

Now with Parker & Adams out for at least a month, my thoughts & harshness on Mills has been reinforced.
Off field clowning around for a second time in his career has now hurt the club badly with the on field injuries to key players before we have even had the first bounce of the season.

I repeat.
Kk lol

I repeat.
I gotta say I agree there. First it was a stupid American football accident and now this.

Judging from his presser last year CM was clearly ashamed.

But we move on … no doubt he is doing all he can to complete his rehab and to make a difference when he gets back late in the season.

I repeat.
I hope you've never done anything silly Ted

More a swipe at our club rather than just Mills.
Plenty other players that could have been added as co captains while Mills was recovering for half a season.
Jake Lloyd for instance, or at least tell Ramps or Parker to do to job for one more season.
Just leavingMills as sole captain when he wouldn't be out there for a good part of the season is a step backwards by our club.
Sure, don't take the captaincy off him but plenty other ways to have dealt with this rather than suddenly have one captain after two decades of co captains.

In my opinion of course Bedders.

Plenty other players that could have been added as co captains while Mills was recovering for half a season.
Jake Lloyd for instance, or at least tell Ramps or Parker to do to job for one more season.
Just leavingMills as sole captain when he wouldn't be out there for a good part of the season is a step backwards by our club.
Sure, don't take the captaincy off him but plenty other ways to have dealt with this rather than suddenly have one captain after two decades of co captains.

twice lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back