Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back-ending massive contracts is such a noob move. You're basically backing yourselves in to be shit when the contract is at it's tail end.
I get the idea of it when you're supposedly in a premiership window, but you need to win premierships or at least make grand finals to justify it.

I get the idea of it when you're supposedly in a premiership window, but you need to win premierships or at least make grand finals to justify it.
Think it's fine for smaller contracts and role players. Your stars should have a steady wage so your cap isn't wildly fluctuating every year. You end up just having to ask them to spread it out over a few extra years down the track when they're mostly cooked and have to pay them extra to entice them to take that deal.

Think it's fine for smaller contracts and role players. Your stars should have a steady wage so your cap isn't wildly fluctuating every year. You end up just having to ask them to spread it out over a few extra years down the track when they're mostly cooked and have to pay them extra to entice them to take that deal.
Said at the time and I'll say it again, big clubs get their stars to agree to unders and bring in talent. We tied Oliver Trac and Gus down to massive deals and haven't made a move since. Amateur club

Said at the time and I'll say it again, big clubs get their stars to agree to unders and bring in talent. We tied Oliver Trac and Gus down to massive deals and haven't made a move since. Amateur club
We probably signed them all to back ended deals because we had no cap room at the time because of other back ended deals. Then we chased Cerra and failed, lost Jackson and had to resign ourselves to recruiting from the discard pile of other clubs.

We probably signed them all to back ended deals because we had no cap room at the time because of other back ended deals. Then we chased Cerra and failed, lost Jackson and had to resign ourselves to recruiting from the discard pile of other clubs.
Worked out for everyone though, we didn't give up anything an no one ruined their careers dying at Melbourne that wasn't already half dead

I don't disagree, just saying the theory behind it, load up when you're in the window and worry about it down the road.

Knowing when to give up on the premiership window is key. The longer you keep fooling yourself the deeper the hole will be to climb out of.

Worked out for everyone though, we didn't give up anything an no one ruined their careers dying at Melbourne that wasn't already half dead
People talk about Geelong being the retirement home. We're like the retirement home that get exposed on the news for abusing the residents.

I don't disagree, just saying the theory behind it, load up when you're in the window and worry about it down the road.

Knowing when to give up on the premiership window is key. The longer you keep fooling yourself the deeper the hole will be to climb out of.
We're in the absolute worst place to be as a club, on the slide with a coach and footy department who are in denial.

So many clubs do this. The Mays, Gawns, Oliver's, Tracs etc lift all the talent around them and all of a sudden we think we have a heap of young guns when in reality Bowey, Sparrow, Jordan, Petty, Howes, Laurie etc are/were just decent level AFL players. They aren't bringing us to the next level again.

Richmond made this mistake with their list. Hawks the same under Clarko.

We're in the absolute worst place to be as a club, on the slide with a coach and footy department who are in denial.

So many clubs do this. The Mays, Gawns, Oliver's, Tracs etc lift all the talent around them and all of a sudden we think we have a heap of young guns when in reality Bowey, Sparrow, Jordan, Petty, Howes, Laurie etc are/were just decent level AFL players. They aren't bringing us to the next level again.

Richmond made this mistake with their list. Hawks the same under Clarko.
Too scared to go back a little to go forward. Eventually the entire thing collapses. See it time and time again across so many sports

I think it was Secret Base who did a doco series on YouTube titled "Collapse" , going over all the American sports teams who reached a peak then ended up being shit for an extended period of time after it.

I get the feeling this era of the Melbourne football club would be perfect for the Collapse series

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was Secret Base who did a doco series on YouTube titled "Collapse" , going over all the American sports teams who reached a peak then ended up being shit for an extended period of time after it.

I get the feeling this era of the Melbourne football club would be perfect for the Collapse series
With Tassie and maybe a 20th team coming in and us still thinking we're hot shit we might have another 20 year period of shitness

With Tassie and maybe a 20th team coming in and us still thinking we're hot shit we might have another 20 year period of shitness
Sweet sweet comp picks 🥳.

While we still have JT though we are in pretty good hands, if we got a coach who had a clue and he was drafting for a proper game style im sure he could make something happen.

Veil of negativity take: JT is scapegoated for the collapse or leaves, Goody, Pert and Roffey remain.

But of course don't go there and mention that in his 9th season he is averaging the lowest since his debut year in the following stats:
  • Disposals
  • Contested possessions
  • Effective disposals
  • Goals
  • Marks
  • Inside 50s
  • Clearances
He's also averaging a career low tackles and career high frees against.

The tackle stat is particularly damning. He's not getting it AND he's not contributing defensively either.

I want Clarry to get better. I want him to get back to where he was, because he's undeniably a gun inside mid when fit and firing. It's also clear that he won't be traded as no other club is going to take on his massive contract and potential issues. I just find it incredibly frustrating to see so many supporters have the blinkers on.

He doesn't need to be coddled and praised for minor achievements. He needs to be held accountable.

He's incredibly privileged to be able to go completely off the rails and massively underperform at work for 6+ months, all while still being paid $1M and having every support available to him that you could possibly imagine.

If someone did this in my workplace they wouldn't have a job anymore, let alone a top of the range salary. And I work in a pretty damn flexible workplace.

Last edited:
But of course don't go there and mention that in his 9th season he is averaging the lowest since his debut year in the following stats:
  • Disposals
  • Contested possessions
  • Effective disposals
  • Goals
  • Marks
  • Inside 50s
  • Clearances

The tackle stat is particularly damning. He's not getting it AND he's not contributing defensively either.

I want Clarry to get better. I want him to get back to where he was, because he's undeniably a gun inside mid when fit and firing. It's also clear that he won't be traded as no other club is going to take on his massive contract and potential issues. I just find it incredibly frustrating to see so many supporters have the blinkers on.

He doesn't need to be coddled and praised for minor achievements. He needs to be held accountable.

He's incredibly privileged to be able to go completely off the rails and massively underperform at work for 6+ months, all while still being paid $1M and having every support available to him that you could possibly imagine.

If someone did this in my workplace they wouldn't have a job anymore, let alone a top of the range salary. And I work in a pretty damn flexible workplace .
Yep exactly. I'm basically a broke uni student working at a cafe and I probably only need to show up to work hungover once to lose my job.

But yeah, poor Clarry.

• Disposals
  • Contested possessions
  • Effective disposals
  • Goals
  • Marks
  • Inside 50s
  • Clearances

If someone did this in my workplace they wouldn't have a job anymore, let alone a top of the range salary. And I work in a pretty damn flexible workplace.
Come on Demonland, if channel 7 of all stations can mention this stuff on the broadcast surely you can

Can we change the thread title please? Here's a suggestion:

#13 The Corpse of Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED fall of biblical proportions​

TBF, cap probably goes up again by then so % of the total would be similar to now?

Olivers contract is tied to TPP so as it goes up, so will Clayton’s contract amount.

Another master stroke by Lamb.

In 2028 we will have close to $2m of dead cap space in Brayshaw and Oliver.

Has to be some sort of record of incompetence.

Olivers contract is tied to TPP so as it goes up, so will Clayton’s contract amount.

Another master stroke by Lamb.

In 2028 we will have close to $2m of dead cap space in Brayshaw and Oliver.

Has to be some sort of record of incompetence.
How utterly incompetent for Lamb to smash his crystal ball. If only he could have seen Clarry fall off the rails and Brayshaw retiring. There needs to be a royal Commission into this! He can't get away with it any more.

How utterly incompetent for Lamb to smash his crystal ball. If only he could have seen Clarry fall off the rails and Brayshaw retiring. There needs to be a royal Commission into this! He can't get away with it any more.
I said the Brayshaw deal was a terrible deal at the time and a few others agreed. Absolutely no need to sign him up how we did.
I understand why but also didn't agree with the Oliver signing length. Bad deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back