Senior 12. Tom De Koning

Remove this Banner Ad

Am shocked at this selection.

Didn't see a need to spend pick 30 on a 18 year old ruck who is unlikely to play for 5 years.

I thought it was better to wait and get a "ready to go" when we need one - like 6 of this years top 8 teams had done!!

Will be interested to hear SOS explanation.

Between Kreuzer, Lobbe and Phillips we should be well covered for the next 5 years. In a weaker draft year, reaching a bit for a project ruckman we like isn't too concerning.

Shouldn't be too big a flight risk as far as chasing opportunity goes either. By the time he's ready the spot is his.

Might be the modern ruckman, not super tall, can actually play footy, has some mobility and ability to mark and go forward. The days of the big lumbering dinosaurs are gone. Guys who can play footy, mark and move are now the go. If he works out this way and does this well he will be worth it at this pick.
Apparently nailed the interviews, perhaps SOS places a lot of value on character. Still, I wouldn't have used pick 30 on him.

Apparently nailed the interviews, perhaps SOS places a lot of value on character. Still, I wouldn't have used pick 30 on him.

Time will tell, can see why they rate him though, screams modern ruckman, maybe they didn't overly rate what else was there. Perhaps we're only going to use real early picks on mids, who knows. Looks a bit of a Kreuzer type with perhaps a bit more speed?

Really like this pick. Will replace casboult in 1-2 years. I would put him 1 on 1 with casboult for every session for 2 years. Get him learning his marking craft and strength. Has elite set shot (17 year old kicking 9.0 in tac cup game in 2016). Should put pressure on Kerr/casboult/McKay for FF.

Projected #80 or later from what i saw hence why i was surprised to to hear his name at #30 considering what Mids were taken after him and the fact he most likely would of been on the boards come our #72 pick.

Anyway it is what it is.

Such a strange selection, there were lots of mid/fwds still on the board, but SOS obviously rates him as the best ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard one to get the head around, other than to say we may not hold a real lot of hope for Phiilips and Lobbe.
May be someone that fits into a future system and I admit I don't really know what that may be.

Hey, happy to have you Tom, but just trying to make sense of the gaps.

Given he is 200cm and quite rangy he probably will need a few years to develop anyway.

Kreuz and Lobbe will probably retire in about 3-4 years and Phillips is injury prone.
Certainly a long term investment pick but he could replace Kreuz once he retires.

Like the look of him. A number of people here were concerned about Hayes because of his lack of endurance. Well this kid seemingly has that. He may develop quicker than you think.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back