#10 - Matthew Jaensch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rookie pick 46 - Matthew Jaensch - Player Discussion

Magicmacca23 good on you to come on here and defend a mate or someone you know but dont say he hasnt had a attitude problem as that is not fact .
Refuse to go any further than that .
But you are right obviously knuckled down last year and gave himself this opportunity and hope he does well both at Sturt and Crows , and as Cmstab said now chance for Crows to show how strong there culture is down there. But if you make it then it gets harder to keep slate clean as Bocky , Thommo and Stiffy and some ex players know.

Just sounds like he was cocky, made some mistakes, realised it's a bit of hard work and isn't served on a plate and is straightening up.

To err is human.

To realise you have and better yourself is smart.

i didnt say he hasnt had attitude problems at some stage i just dont think the crows would take someone with an attitude problem, yeah he has some ability but he certainly isnt a superstar which would tempt a club to take a punt on someone like that and why recruit someone with an attitude problem when you could grab someone like boyd or almond who are probably just as good without the baggage.

From what I've heard, when the club looks for forwards these days it does tend to lean towards a bit of arrogance/self-assuredness and with really talented, skillful players that's a good thing. These are the types that will try to take the game by the scruff of the neck and attack the goal front. Based on what people have had to say about the kid it's probably a small forward that we're looking to mold him into.

I would love to be proved wrong, but I've had the sense watching him that there may not be too much more growth or upside with him. Great skills and nice pace, but I think there is an issue about assertion and imposing himself which hinders his consistency at SANFL level and would definitely make an AFL life difficult. When he gets a chance he generally nails it, but does he make enough of his own chances? Fingers crossed for the guy though, and no problems given him a shot, although I wish we had had a harder look at Wanganeen.

Sounds like Richard Douglas MkII to me...

Sounds like Richard Douglas MkII to me...
No Sydney Crow remember Douglas was going to be a star and wasnt till well into second year I think that many of us started to realize that he would only be average player .
Seems the Crows still hold out hope though.
Where I guess we all hope that Jaensch makes it and has something to offer. We havent had much luck so far with these small forward type players. Have to keep trying though

And so Douglas' form in the SANFL should be better.

He was a first round draft pick, Jeansch didn't make the cut and just got rookied as a more 'mature' 20 year old.

At 20, he is still 6 years away from his peak. I wish him well :thumbsu:

If he does have a bit of an attitude problem it will finally be a chance for all of those here on BF who have wanted to see the Crows pick up a problem child and turn him around :p
Surely if he messes up we'll just strap a few steaks to him and leave him alone in a room with a starved Maric.

That would sort anyone out.

For what it's worth he looked pretty good at training this morning. He was getting amongst it a bit for his first session.

Douglas form in the SANFL at a similar age to Jaensch was by far superior, Richard has hardly played any SANFL footy since the 07 season anyway.

True, because burst onto the scene in SANFL, but I dont reckon he has developed at all since unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I've heard, when the club looks for forwards these days it does tend to lean towards a bit of arrogance/self-assuredness and with really talented, skillful players that's a good thing. These are the types that will try to take the game by the scruff of the neck and attack the goal front. Based on what people have had to say about the kid it's probably a small forward that we're looking to mold him into.

exactly right, they want someone who is willing to back themselves in and take the shot especially if they have the skill to deliver. He has that and has proven it in big SANFL finals. Peter Vardy is a classic example of this type of footballer.

Correct although him and his dad are more AFL supporters than a one team fan.
He has a decent gob and dob on him and like many other afl players is good at cricket as well. His old man kicked bags of goals for the Hahndorf Magpies. My honest opinion of Matt is that I always hoped he got drafted but wondered if had the whole package.
He definitely does not lack self confidence and is a highly skilled footballer who loves a goal. He is a bit like Pearce in terms of his hardness at the ball though. Having said that you don't need 22 inside players.

And so Douglas' form in the SANFL should be better.

He was a first round draft pick, Jeansch didn't make the cut and just got rookied as a more 'mature' 20 year old.

At 20, he is still 6 years away from his peak. I wish him well :thumbsu:

Yep - agreed. At the very least, he has shown that he can perform to a competent standard at SANFL level which is more than many draftees taken from the National Draft will ever show.

He now also has the advantage of having the facilities of the AFC at his disposal such as nutritionists, fitness instructors and the like. With an AFL career within reach, who knows how good the guy could be if he applies himself and gets a huge pre season under his belt ?

He definitely does not lack self confidence and is a highly skilled footballer who loves a goal. He is a bit like Pearce in terms of his hardness at the ball though. Having said that you don't need 22 inside players.

In reality the Crows have lacked a decent outside player for years.

If they guy is good enough to get in a position to get the ball delivered and finish off then good luck to him.

Re: #48 - Matthew Jaensch - Player Discussion

I have never seen MJ play live however by the video footage he seems to have all the tools to take the next steps

he runs the lines, seems clean and can push forward and kick a goal

Re: #48 - Matthew Jaensch

He's like a Jason Porplyzia but with attitude. Too bad the nickname "Porpii" is alrready taken, stupid Ballantyne.

Fantastic read. :thumbsu:

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/114891/default.aspx

Jaensch buckles down

ADELAIDE defender Matthew Jaensch has waited longer than most players in the system for an opportunity to play AFL, but his story as a mature-age recruit is one of missed opportunities rather than hard luck.

From the Goodwin part onwards, really eye opening stuff. That's commitment right there.

You can see how much it means to him. He’s really leaving it all on the line every week.

Go Jaenschy. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back