Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure what it says about me or my partner but she reckons there's something about Clayton.

Something to the effect of 'He's powerful but graceful.'

šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ”«
Mad Get Out GIF by Get Out Movie

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but have road trips ever been considered for the WA teams? So say there are periods in the year where we play 3 games in Melbourne then 3 at home? Play Bris and Syd in a 2 week stretch then 2 at home? I understand there are other considerations than just recovery and less hours on a plane (both pros and cons), but is this something that has ever

This is a solution to travel that is within our control. COVID showed what was possible. If we played games away in blocks, we could drastically reduce travel. For example:

Stay 9 days in Qld, Adelaide, NSW and play both local teams (6 away games)
Two trips to Melb of 9 days to play 4 away games)

Gives us 5 return flights instead of 10. We could then have multiple blocks of back to back home games (with three in a row for derbies).

If players have young families, they can come on the road with them (or just suck it up like everyone else who does FIFO).

Having chartered flights now makes it easier - they can fly straight back to Perth as soon as the game concludes & don't have to operate on the airlines' schedule. Believe there were a few instances this year where the team would normally have to wait and fly out in the morning, but were able to depart late and be home in the early hours.

Not saying it's not hard with the amount of travel they have to do, but it's definitely made easier now that they can dictate departure times and don't have to ration out business class seats.

Yes chartered flights makes it easier but my example already accounts for that. I didn't consider any "down time" waiting for the next commercial flight between the game finishing and the gate opening. All I added for that was 60 minutes each flight for the check in, baggage stuff.

It still adds up quickly compared with Melbourne based sides who drive to their games, complete all the same game day tasks, then get changed and drive home instead of travelling via air both ways.

I don't know whether we try to utilize that time in air to credit back the players free time in Perth, but that might be counter productive if they're getting smashed with game data before and after a performance.

This is a solution to travel that is within our control. COVID showed what was possible. If we played games away in blocks, we could drastically reduce travel. For example:

Stay 9 days in Qld, Adelaide, NSW and play both local teams (6 away games)
Two trips to Melb of 9 days to play 4 away games)

Gives us 5 return flights instead of 10. We could then have multiple blocks of back to back home games (with three in a row for derbies).

If players have young families, they can come on the road with them (or just suck it up like everyone else who does FIFO).

Agree.
And no games in Tassie for the WA clubs.
And no away games that are too late to get us on a flight the same day.

Both WA teams have to get serious about a joint submission to AFL about their unique disadvantages due to travel.
FYI: have quoted it frequently but Kade Simpson and Pav played about same number of games but Pav travelled >7 times further. So not only bad for recovery and longevity but also lots more time away from friends and family.
Theoretically AFLPA should be onto it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.
And no games in Tassie for the WA clubs.
And no away games that are too late to get us on a flight the same day.

Both WA teams have to get serious about a joint submission to AFL about their unique disadvantages due to travel.
FYI: have quoted it frequently but Kade Simpson and Pav played about same number of games but Pav travelled >7 times further. So not only bad for recovery and longevity but also lots more time away from friends and family.
Theoretically AFLPA should be onto it.
WCE and Freo should have the ability to wet lease an aircraft outside of the salary cap/soft cap.

Get something like a 737-900 or A320 fitted with about 50 business class+ seats, massage tables, oxygen, med room etc. Use it week about.

That would not only reduce the wear and tear and help recovery, it would actually reduce the travel as all flights would be direct.

WCE and Freo should have the ability to wet lease an aircraft outside of the salary cap/soft cap.

Get something like a 737-900 or A320 fitted with about 50 business class+ seats, massage tables, oxygen, med room etc. Use it week about.

That would not only reduce the wear and tear and help recovery, it would actually reduce the travel as all flights would be direct.
When don't they fly direct?

With a bit of ingenuity the non-WA team visiting WA maybe be able to use it too.

With a bit of ingenuity the non-WA team visiting WA maybe be able to use it too.
That would be harder to manage. Let's say WC were playing Hawks at home on a Friday night. Hawks fly on Wed or Thu. Cannot fly after the Fri game due airport curfew so have to fly Sat morning. Plane would then have to come back to Perth to pick up Freo late Sat for a Sun game in Syd/Mel etc.
Doesn't really work. Could work on a 1-way basis. Travel on the lease on Wed for the Fri night game and fly home as per now.

Would not work at all if we were to travel two days before the match. If we play on a Sat do we fly out on the Fri or Thu?

How the F does it take a week or more to determine if a player has a compressed fracture in their back!?

Well I know what i'm asking on Monday for Ask Simmo.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back