Tyler Sonsie punch (VFL) - how many weeks? (poll added)

How many weeks?

• 1-3

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • 4-5

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • 6-7

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • 8+

Votes: 20 29.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Crazy to think that the suspension for intentionally punching someone in the jaw is the same as Jordan Boyd's tackle and Nankervis' bump...

I sort of agree with you but it wasn't really a proper punch. The McCartin one on Black I posted earlier this thread was a proper punch that fortunately did no serious injury and he got 5 weeks for that. This Sonsie strike seem to inconvenience the opponent quite a bit more than the Franklin one on Cotchin I also posted and that got 1 week. 3 weeks seems to me to be right in line with those 2 decisions, would you agree?

Yeah not sure you'll find anyone that isn't a Richmond supporter that doesn't think that's a farce. It's a coward punch. It should have been 6 weeks.

I sort of agree with you but it wasn't really a proper punch. The McCartin one on Black I posted earlier this thread was a proper punch that fortunately did no serious injury and he got 5 weeks for that. This Sonsie strike seem to inconvenience the opponent quite a bit more than the Franklin one on Cotchin I also posted and that got 1 week. 3 weeks seems to me to be right in line with those 2 decisions, would you agree?
I thought 5 was pretty reasonable, it's football not boxing.

That is weak as piss
Just another example of how the afl’s use of outcome is what is used to determine the punishment

Medical report drops it from severe to high and that’s just the way the system operates

Just another example of how the afl’s use of outcome is what is used to determine the punishment

Medical report drops it from severe to high and that’s just the way the system operates

Agreed, but seems to be at odds with their tall of how "optics" are important too

Three weeks… Sonsie has got lucky there. If the Tigers win the VFL knockout he gets to serve most (possibly all) of his suspension this year when I was thinking he might be missing four weeks next year.

Agreed, but seems to be at odds with their tall of how "optics" are important too
No arguments from me
I had it as a 4 - 5 week holiday provided the medical report supported no concussion or injury and obviously more if the player was injured

The entire mro and tribunal system is completely broken but that’s not anything new either

No arguments from me
I had it as a 4 - 5 week holiday provided the medical report supported no concussion or injury and obviously more if the player was injured

The entire mro and tribunal system is completely broken but that’s not anything new either

I don't get that. Doesn't the decision need to be in line with previous decisions from relatable incidents as I set out earlier in the thread? Why would you be expecting a severe impact penalty from what was essentially a medium or at worst high impact incident?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get that. Doesn't the decision need to be in line with previous decisions from relatable incidents as I set out earlier in the thread? Why would you be expecting a severe impact penalty from what was essentially a medium or at worst high impact incident?
Just because of the type of incident it was and nothing to do with previous similar incidents

It’s just something I want to see out of the game completely closed fist to the head off the ball and the only way to remove them from the game is make the punishment be season defining for whoever did it

Just because of the type of incident it was and nothing to do with previous similar incidents

It’s just something I want to see out of the game completely closed fist to the head off the ball and the only way to remove them from the game is make the punishment be season defining for whoever did it

That it happens so rarely we can only find the odd example of about 1-2 per year from around 3-400 AFL and VFL games per year I think tells us it is effectively out of the game. And the reason it is, is because of these penalties. If the penalty was not sufficient then players would be going around punching each other a lot more than 1-2 times per 300+ matches. I played about 200 games of local footy finishing about 20 years ago and must have been punched 10-15 times(some of those with full force) and punched guys about probably 10 times(never properly.) Out of all that there was one single suspension. 3 weeks for a guy round arm king hitting me from behind with everything he had.

It is out of the game. You will never completely eradicate it while humans are playing a contact sport like this because players become angry and lash out.

So to me it is not realistic to say penalising this foolish incident more harshly will have any effect on eliminating something from the game that is effectively already eliminated.

That 3 weeks has the Richmond persecution tax added too so would be 2 weeks any other club. :)

I don't know if you're joking, but the AFL doesn't have some conspiracy against Richmond and it's genuinely embarrassing for you to suggest so

No one cares about your whataboutism. It's a very low firm of argument. Move on.

So are you saying the VFL Tribunal should have just made a special example of Sonsie in this one case that is out of line with other previous penalties?

Or you just wanted to be angry with me for being right? If so, thank you, I really miss being the victim of unjustified anger since my last girlfriend unfairly dumped me for the minor misdemeanour of failing to see her for 2 years. :tearsofjoy:

Lol, people melting everywhere. It was a glorified slap to the chops.

There again you can get yourself into a world of trouble doing that as Robert "Bobby the Brain" Heenan shows in the clip below. Maybe The Giant should have paint brushed Sonsie as his punishment and that would have been sufficient penalty. :)

Take a chill tablet dudes. More to get outraged about than a guy copping a penalty in line with precedents for issuing a pansie tap to the north and south.

Should have been 5, but any afl directed tribunal is a crap shoot lottery.
I thought it was similar to the act that the young saints player did this year to Nathan Murphy. While the north player wasn’t concussed like Murphy was, perhaps a similar penalty would be apt. Not sure how many weeks he ended up getting though.

Back