Tyler Sonsie punch (VFL) - how many weeks? (poll added)

How many weeks?

• 1-3

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • 4-5

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • 6-7

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • 8+

Votes: 20 29.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

:think::think::think:

2-3 weeks? You're saying that this incident should have a comparable stint on the sidelines to most of the dangerous tackle suspensions this year?

If he gets any less than 6 for this then it is official that the AFL/VFL aren't taking protecting the head anywhere near as seriously as they are trying to make us believe.

If the player is largely uninjured then yes, medium impact, deliberate, high contact - 2 weeks.

If he is concussed or has more than a superficial injury, high impact, deliberate, high contact - 3 weeks.

These are well established gradings and penalties.

Most of the posters on here are posting as if it is a severe impact case, and if it was severe impact then I would be in total agreement 4-8 weeks. I am not trying to defend Sonsie, what he did was indefensible. But it still needs to be punished at the correct level for the action. To me that level is as set out above. It was not a very forceful blow.

Yeah, because it's a wildly different punch/situation. It isn't comparable to what Sonsie did.

You need to retract your incorrect statement that squaring up to a player and punching him in the head will ever be graded less than high or severe impact. If you concede that after it has been shown to be wrong, then I am happy to carry on debating the differences and similarities with you, otherwise, no.

You need to retract your incorrect statement that squaring up to a player and punching him in the head will ever be graded less than high or severe impact. If you concede that after it has been shown to be wrong, then I am happy to carry on debating the differences and similarities with you, otherwise, no.

Let me make this simple for you;

Tyler Sonsie squared up and punched a player.

Lance Franklin didn't.

Let me make this simple for you;

Tyler Sonsie squared up and punched a player.

Lance Franklin didn't.

What?

The MRO found Franklin deliberately struck Cotchin high. How is he deliberately striking someone high without "squaring up?" What exactly do you mean by squaring up? They both approached a player off the ball and deliberately struck them to the face.

I can see we are not going to get any sense from you on this.

They both approached a player off the ball and deliberately struck them to the face.

If you look at the two pieces of vision and think they're comparable, then you are simply an unserious person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a stupid thing to do. He now knows he'll miss finals and also get the pleasure of doing pre-season with everyone else, but not be allowed to play pre-season games or the first couple of rounds of next year, regardless of how well he trains. He'd want to tear it up in the internal match-sims!

Deserves everything he gets, though.

Crazy to think that the suspension for intentionally punching someone in the jaw is the same as Jordan Boyd's tackle and Nankervis' bump...

Back