Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

he got a brownlow vote, not bad as a very inexperienced forward. to my eye he has a number of elite qualities and if used in the right way will become an excellent player. looked very lynch-like. pretty sure the club agrees and will get what they believe is fair for clearly a best 22 player moving forward.

will add that i believe he has more value now than when we drafted him. been part of an elite system and is ready to go. clearly a valuable asset.

can the north melbourne posters please boot off? stop trying to muddy the waters and devalue our player on our board.

We are offering him 4Y because he fills a need.

400-450k is what is being reported - The average wage in the competition is 360k approx. Didn't think it took a genius to understand that a rival club had to pay slightly overs on a contract perspective to lure a player out.

Where he was drafted in 2017 & the fact he has 4 years of development, is largely irrelevant when he's OOC, played 9 games in 4 years & wants out.

As I said, there is no chance he'd go top 20 this draft & unlikely he'd even go top 30 IMO.
If he does go ahead and ask for the trade as reported (I think we are still a big chance of retaining him), north will pay pick 20 for sure, but will get something back. Tigers won’t let him go for less imo, and I’m not sure either club will push this down the PSD route, just leaves a sour taste and could cause issues in future dealings.
It’s a wait and see in many respects imo

Only to lose their version of the Granny every year to the Druggos.
Yep.
Saad, Zac Williams, Jack Martin, Newnes, Marley Williams, Polec, Corr, Menadue.

That’s pretty much their haul over the last couple of years.

Looking at that list I understand why their supporters would be up and about over CCJ and Hewitt.

Watching Hardwick's demeanour change when discussing the two of Chol and CCJ when on 360 was really interesting. He was really happy and bright when discussing Marb's development and the opportunity for him. But then his face went cold and really serious when discussing CCJ's future. That gives me the impression that they are either trying really hard to try and keep him, or are gonna play hardball with the trade. I know the PSD makes it a little hard, but I still feel that pick 20 will be about right.

We are offering him 4Y because he fills a need.

400-450k is what is being reported - The average wage in the competition is 360k approx. Didn't think it took a genius to understand that a rival club had to pay slightly overs on a contract perspective to lure a player out.

Where he was drafted in 2017 & the fact he has 4 years of development, is largely irrelevant when he's OOC, played 9 games in 4 years & wants out.

As I said, there is no chance he'd go top 20 this draft & unlikely he'd even go top 30 IMO.
You do also understand that market relevance plays a part. The fact that you had to offer him the bi type deal means his VALUE to you would put him ahead of people in the draft order.

And before you say, we'd just draft a different player, you have already admitted he fills a hole in your playing group profile, so you list manage would look to fill that hole, either by trade or draft.

So know just say, the comparable KPF players in the draft look at going 8, 15, 17 and then every KPF after that is considered a lesser prospect than CCJ, then his value to YOU (and Nth Melb) is actually pick 17, because if you can't get the KPF in the draft, and miss out on CCJ, then you are still left with a hole in your list.

There might be better players, but not players than North need. Market value also has an impact on trade value.
If you can't see that, go and draft another mid or flanker with pick 20 and see where that gets you... nowhere

You do also understand that market relevance plays a part. The fact that you had to offer him the bi type deal means his VALUE to you would put him ahead of people in the draft order.

And before you say, we'd just draft a different player, you have already admitted he fills a hole in your playing group profile, so you list manage would look to fill that hole, either by trade or draft.

So know just say, the comparable KPF players in the draft look at going 8, 15, 17 and then every KPF after that is considered a lesser prospect than CCJ, then his value to YOU (and Nth Melb) is actually pick 17, because if you can't get the KPF in the draft, and miss out on CCJ, then you are still left with a hole in your list.

There might be better players, but not players than North need. Market value also has an impact on trade value.
If you can't see that, go and draft another mid or flanker with pick 20 and see where that gets you... nowhere

The difference being that the 4 WA talls are all better prospects then CCJ IMO with 3 of them are likely to be available in the 20's.

The difference being that the 4 WA talls are all better prospects then CCJ IMO with 3 of them are likely to be available in the 20's.
you say they are better prospects, maybe your list managers don't.

And perhaps you need one who can play and play well in 2022, those 3-4 may need the 4 years CCJ has taken to get this far...

Point being, pick 20 is actually around the mark, even if it means something else going you way with CCJ

Who of that top 30 is he getting selected before?
They are all just names and nobody knows what they will become
Brander was #13 and was meant to be the next Rich etc etc

Fact is currently they are just kids , You have Amiss , Williams , Van Rooyen , Bazzo but they are all just names
Cj is a known quality that has been fantastic at VFL level and in his 9 games at AFL already has proven he is well and truly at the level
Thats why the sh!t stain club is offering him 4 years at $450k a year.

You would not have layed eyes on any of these players in the top 30 but come on here talking sh!t about young prospects and where CJ would be taken
Fact is CJ was a pick 20 in a draft where players like Oscar Allen & Sam Taylor,Bailey , De Koning,Ryan , Balta , Kelly etc after him and Brayshaw , Cerra , rayner , Naughton ,Starcevich,Higgins , Coffield , Clarke were prior.

You know nothing about the draft or the kids and just talking shit just a troll

you say they are better prospects, maybe your list managers don't.

And perhaps you need one who can play and play well in 2022, those 3-4 may need the 4 years CCJ has taken to get this far...

Point being, pick 20 is actually around the mark, even if it means something else going you way with CCJ

Hence why I've said my opinion, however it's an opinion shared by many with an understanding of the 2021 draft pool.

We are rebuilding, everything we do is prioritizing long-term over short-term.

Pick 20 is around the mark of what Richmond want. Doesn't mean it's "around the mark" of what actually gets the deal done.

Out of curiosity - If Richmond were in Norths position, how would you feel about trading Pick 20 for an OOC player with 9 games in 4 years, when you had the leverage of PSD?

They are all just names and nobody knows what they will become
Brander was #13 and was meant to be the next Rich etc etc

Fact is currently they are just kids , You have Amiss , Williams , Van Rooyen , Bazzo but they are all just names
Cj is a known quality that has been fantastic at VFL level and in his 9 games at AFL already has proven he is well and truly at the level
Thats why the sh!t stain club is offering him 4 years at $450k a year.

You would not have layed eyes on any of these players in the top 30 but come on here talking sh!t about young prospects and where CJ would be taken
Fact is CJ was a pick 20 in a draft where players like Oscar Allen & Sam Taylor,Bailey , De Koning,Ryan , Balta , Kelly etc after him and Brayshaw , Cerra , rayner , Naughton ,Starcevich,Higgins , Coffield , Clarke were prior.

You know nothing about the draft or the kids and just talking sh*t just a troll

CCJ is not a known quality. Fantastic at VFL level doesn't translate to a good AFL career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, no doubt it's a risk. Fortunately we have the salary space to absorb such a risk though.
What's risky about it?

North are wooden spooners offering a long term deal to a Key position foreword who couldn't crack into a premiership winning line up.

The bigger risk is you coming on this forum and downplaying his value to a bunch of Richmond supporters thinking it's going to have any relevance to the negotiations between both clubs.

[/QUOTE]
CCJ is not a known quality. Fantastic at VFL level doesn't translate to a good AFL career.

LOL - then why you ****ers offering him a 4year approx $400k contract? is that how you guys run your club? poach & pay top dollar for young unproven players? Based on his contract, the AFL would send us a round 2 pick as compo - so its pretty hard to argue he isn't worth a strong 2nd rounder.

He was drafted with pick 20 in 2017. Has 4 years of development in him + body mass. Had numerous clubs chasing his signature, including nth, GCS, GWS, ADL, Essendon & Richmond - & thats just the clubs we know were interested - it sits at 1/3 of the league wanted his sig. Nth won as they offered him the most cash, literally the only reason they won. MONEY

A ruckman/KPF taken with pick 20 4 years ago and is still highly sought after is generally always worth more than the pick he was taken with, especially if the club which drafted him still wants to retain his talents. I think only getting a pick 20 for him 4 years after is actually a massive nett loss for us.

I am MORE THAN HAPPY to make him go to the PSD if Nth only want to offer pick 38. MAke both him and your club sweat it out. While he sits a free agent till December, we can still offer him a new contract and re-sign him. This kid is as flimsy as any i've seen - I wouldn't want him sitting around for 2 months still deciding what he wants to do. How long has this shit been going on & he still doesn't seem to have the balls to come out and say he definitely wants to leave.

CCJ is not like Brando, Markov etc - he isn;'t leaving with our "best blessings" - if he leaves after the shit he pulled last year, he is deader to us than Jack Higgins is. I have NFI where this attitude that we are smiling well wishers came from. Pick 38 is worth nothing to us with our bounty of picks.

Bullshit

Kicking 4 goals at AFL level and displaying his talents in 8 games

How many unkown quality players get 4 years at $450k a year get that sort of money
jesus you talk shit

Yep, no doubt it's a risk. Fortunately we have the salary space to absorb such a risk though.

Interesting comment

Now ask yourself why you have that Cap space !!
Its because your club is hopeless and terrible onfield. There is no talent apart from maybe 8-10 players and no depth
Your leader is JZ who is being gifted game time at HB as he is totally useless anywhere else and have to pay rubbish like Polec $750k to get him to the sh!t stain of a club.

You are coming onto the board of the RFC who has proven to do things right and smash the league for 4 years taking home 3 premierships
just think about the difference between the 2 clubs 105,000 members 3 flags in 4 years 7 players have been let go and are playing at other clubs
Assistants coaching elswhere getting poached. Best administration and management.

I think my club knows exactly where they are and what they are doing as displayed by ripping the heart and soul player out of your club for less $$$ than what your club offered.

Cj leaving wont hurt us on field or with draft picks but Norf are on track to emulate what Carlton have done and will be destined to suffer down the ladder for years and wont make finals or win a flag in your life time.

Go Norf Tassie

There is no chance that CCJ would go top 20 in the open draft this year. Absolutely no chance.

Assume you know little about this years crop based on this post, but I personally don’t think he’d even get picked in the top 30.

One of your mates asked this on the draft board, should check the answers of the “experts” before trying to justify such absurd picks.

Ok …. so your club has just offered in the vicinity of $2.25m and a 5-year deal to a ruck/fwd who has played 8 games but would apparently not go in the top-30 of the draft….yeah, makes sense…..

Why not get a ruck/fwd with pick-20 or pick-38 on a 2-year deal and pay him $200k if they were a better prospect than CJ..??

Hmmmm…. I wonder why they’re not doing that ..??

Maybe think about the logic of what’s being offered by North for an 8-game player before ranting about not being top-30…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I believe my thoughts have been reiterated on Trade Radio just now.
Mate, you've made your point and we know what you think your club should be paying for CCJ. You are best advised to leave the discussion imo and head back to either the main board or your own board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back