Zuma's Top 50 - 1 Bob Dylan

Remove this Banner Ad

Just coming back to this. Such depth in Dylan's collection of songs. My top five favourites these days looks very different:

1. Where Teardrops Fall - seems like simple jazzy pop but somehow runs much deeper. Following love into darker places.

2. Every Grain of Sand - set it in the cold war when it was written and it's beautiful but scary as f@#$. "In the violence of a summer's dream"

3. You're a Big Girl Now - you didn't take the chance and your childhood love grew up. Love the guitar, the tune, the ohhhhs.

4. Simple Twist of Fate - beautiful song about a romantic encounter where one side moves on care free and the other is caught on deep feelings. "She was born in spring, but I was born too late."

5. Idiot Wind - it's chaotic but that's part of what makes it so good. I sometimes feel like I'm watching Fox News in the middle verses.

So many great songs. I didn't notice that this post was started way back in 2015 and has had a bit of a thread bump for me to notice it.

I wonder if anything from more recently recorded tunes make the cut if the OP would revisit this list.

Another one that springs to mind for me is "Lay Down Your Weary Tune" which sounds monumental at the end of the "No Direction Home" documentary.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back