Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

My mate's band supported them at the Espy on friday night. They were charging $54 a ticket. To me they are not rock n roll enough and not original enough.

To be fair there's not many original bands going around, nothing wrong with having strong influences as long as you don't rip people off.

Low hanging fruit. It's like mentioning Nickelback, or Creed, or Limp Bizkit.

I've gotta say though, I own several thousand albums and CDs, and the genre of music that Coldplay represent is almost entirely absent from my collection. However, for some inextricable reason, and going totally against the grain of what my musical taste can generally tolerate, I find that a couple of their early albums (Parachutes and Rush Of Blood) are actually very good.

Don't ask me, I cannot explain why it is I really like those two records.
Coldplays problem is they have not had a new idea since those first albums

Coldplay are just too cringe and try hard these days, however they still produce one decent song every album or so and Higher Power was the best song they have done in a while but the rest of the album was pure cringe.

Rush of Blood is a nice album though and has a real nostalgic feel about it especially with clocks.

Coldplay are just too cringe and try hard these days, however they still produce one decent song every album or so and Higher Power was the best song they have done in a while but the rest of the album was pure cringe.

Rush of Blood is a nice album though and has a real nostalgic feel about it especially with clocks.
I noticed this too after Viva la Vida... there'd be a rousing opening single and you'd think the album could be pretty good, but a quick listen, and nope. I listened to Coldplay Essentials on Apple Music during a bike ride recently and going on just the best bits, they're ok. It's fashionable to hate on them, but their first two albums were very good, next two OK as they hit peak fame, nothing other than the odd big single since.

Anyone who spray paints a Martin guitar as part of their stage show can GAGF - I think that started around Viva la Vida.

Birds of Tokyo. A couple of good songs but mostly just bland, safe and very commercial music.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Birds of Tokyo. A couple of good songs but mostly just bland, safe and very commercial music.
Don't agree. If anything their non commercial songs are their better pieces. I really liked March Flies album and a song called Boy

Pearl Jam- just boring rubbish. :crossmark: (Need to listen to their lesser known stuff)
Icehouse- pure crap, every song :crossmark: (Man of Colours is an epic album) They've got so many good hits.
Noiseworks- utter boring manufacted shite. 🔳 Undecided. I need to Listen to again
Lady GaGa- gimmiky, uncreative, overated, derivative cat litter. :crossmark: Again, need to listen to the lesser hits. Her voice is incredible, no different to Adele and Winehouse and everyone loses their shit for them.
Phil Collins- an insult to every decent songwriter :crossmark: GTFO, His work with Genesis (Selling England By The Pound is insanely good)
Taylor Swift- I don't get the allure, no hooks and immature themes. :crossmark: She writes her own music, she's catchy and marketable. Some of her hits are really good, some not so much.
Living End/ Jet/ Grinspoon- lightweight copycat drivel. ✅
Pink Floyd- navel gazing, pretentious codswallop.:crossmark:Pioneers of Psychadelic Rock
Lenard Cohen- bores me senseless :crossmark: He's a storyteller, unique and intriguing. Not everone's cup of tea but I think he's like Elvis Costello Either get it or you don't

Our tastes in music vary greatly. I don't agree much with you except Living End|Jet|Grinspoon, and all of the other grungy rock bands of the 90s/00s.

Most of what you've listed I will listen to.

Our tastes in music vary greatly. I don't agree much with you except Living End|Jet|Grinspoon, and all of the other grungy rock bands of the 90s/00s.

Most of what you've listed I will listen to.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I was referring to Phil Collins solo work which is drivel.

Last edited:
Which is funny, because there early stuff definitely wasn't bland or commercial, but they definitely went that way after achieving some success.

Pearl Jam explained

It's a pretty funny pisstake or one or two songs, which Pearl Jam fans themselves make, but not even close to a fair representation of their music overall. So a bit of a lazy effort overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back