Social Your GIANTS story... How you came to be a GWS/AFL fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully2Folau

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
In the leadup to the big round one debut against the Swans, I thought I'd start this thread to have people share how they ended up a Giant (or a semi-Giant for our 'second team' friends).

I got the idea from a few posters sharing some anecdotes of their background in the other threads, and thought it might be interesting to have more people chime in. (and those who posted in other threads, feel free to copy/paste or add to your story here)

I'll start us off:

I was born and bred in 'GWS' and have lived here my whole life. I started out playing soccer as a kid but soon took an interest in AFL and the Swans and not long later starting playing footy.

By the time the Giants rolled around as Team GWS I'd been following AFL and the Swans for about 13 or 14 years. But having grown up in GWS, went to school in GWS, played junior and senior footy in GWS, graduated with a degree from UWS, and now starting my career in GWS, it kind of seemed like an obvious choice to jump on board with the Giants as a foundation member.

I probably haven't followed footy as close as I did previously over the past few years, but now I'm right back on board with a team in my backyard.

There'd been murmurs growing of a Western Sydney AFL team for a while now, close to 10 years I'd say. At one point, early on, there were whispers of a stadium at Kellyville/Rouse Hill which would house the Swans, ha!

As I posted in the round one preview thread, it's still a bit surreal that we've got our own footy team out this way. Bring on Saturday night!

Mine's born and bred Queenslander, only moved down here close to 10 years ago for work already an AFL fan from going to games in Brisbane while there for uni. Obviously still a Lions fan, but a chance to see a live game every second week (although it turned out to be every third or thereabouts) got me on board, along with being there at the start of a new club. Love what they're doing with the club so far, so I'm looking forward to Saturday.

Got brain damage from years of banging my head against the wall following the Dorkers, decided I needed a change to prevent further mental health issues so decided on GWS.

Not a fully fledged supporter as I still love Port and always will but I have been involved in their academies down here in Albury and met Sheeds and Al Mcconnell and played footy at North Albury with Anthony Miles. I also figure I will know a couple of guys who get picked up as zone selections from playing rep footy with them so I have a very keen interest in the Giants :thumbsu:

I grew up in country VIC playing aussie rules from 5-24, now living in Sydney. Gone for WCE since 1987 but only get to go to 1 of their games in sydney each year if im lucky.
Live in Parramatta area, want to get behind new local team.
Went to their games last year, also went to their launch and the draft was FANTASTIC !!!
I also go for the storm and went to their games when living in Melb so worked out well with Izzy too

Grew up in SA, have good teeth, therefore Crows supporter.

Moved to Sydney a year or two ago. Couldn't watch Swans, they are as much fun as a statistics lecture. Hence GWS it is, will be exciting to watch them grow. :thumbsu:

Still bitter about Phil Davis though. Don't know how I'll feel if he is BOG in a GWS grand final victory over the Crows.

Grew up in SA, have good teeth, therefore Crows supporter.

Moved to Sydney a year or two ago. Couldn't watch Swans, they are as much fun as a statistics lecture. Hence GWS it is, will be exciting to watch them grow. :thumbsu:

Still bitter about Phil Davis though. Don't know how I'll feel if he is BOG in a GWS grand final victory over the Crows.

Probably a little better when Brad Crouch puts in a great captains effort with 40 + touches ;)

Like many GWS followers I'm a fan of another club, West Coast, having been born and raised in Perth. Moved to Newcastle 5 years ago but as a WC supporter will always hate the Swans, GWS gives me a team to go and watch that I can support... except for the game in Blacktown against the Eagles.

I'll forever be a Hawks man but throughout the years i've always had a 2nd favourite (usually whoever is the lovable underdog at the time). Really loved cheering on Freo for the past few years but with Ross Lyon bringing boredom to the Dockers, and considering i played a few games at Dartmoor with Jeremy Cameron it was a pretty easy decision.

Good luck with your future! I'll try to catch any home games we get against you guys

It will be interesting to see how many die hard rugby league followers have jumped on the GWS bandwagon. Or people who have followed rugby league at least. That is what the AFL would be targeting.

1. Crows
2. Roos
3. GWS

Lived out at Villawood, Dundas Valley, Quaker Hill in the 70s and 80s; played Aussie Rules briefly for MacQuarie Uni then follwed Newtown when Slammin Sam was in charge.

Love the GWS colours, hated the poaching of Davis but sh i t happens.Goodluck with your journey I think it will be arduous.

It will be interesting to see how many die hard rugby league followers have jumped on the GWS bandwagon. Or people who have followed rugby league at least. That is what the AFL would be targeting.

You don't really need the die-hard league fans. There aren't that many anyway. Fans, yeah, but die-hard? Who needs 'em. It's the casual fan that we. Need to target. I'm a Raiders fan in the league, Brumbies in the rugby, I like to look out for the fortunes of QPR in whatever league they're in and I've been a Geelong fan my entire life (it's an inherited thing) Do you think I'm giving them up now? I'll be a bit like West123 wearing my Geelong jumper with my Giant's hat (but that's next year:mad:)

That being said, I grew up in Canberra and live in Western Sydney and now I get to take my son to games on a regular basis without him being contaminated by having to watch the swans. Up until now my access to AFL has been limited.

A new club in my own back yard that wasn't the swans, was a no brainer. And if you're going to get in, get in on the ground floor. We started with the NEAFL last year, that was fun, watching the kids grow throughout the year - and we'll enjoy the journey from here. I really like what they're doing

There's over 2,000,000 people in the catchment area. We don't need the die hard leaguies we need the others, those who can walk and chew gum, those who can follow the panthers and the giants and maybe an English soccer team. The club will grow simply because there is room for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to the Swan's game. Pushed me over the edge & into membership territory.

I am primarily a Cat & will always remain one. The irony is that as I live in Sydney, I'll inevitably go to more games wearing the appalling colours of my second side far more than the majestic navy & white of my first.

But this team has guts, determination, and one hell of a future. And is Fun!

Born in Sydney and inherited Balmain's orange RL colours, who then went west.
Teenager in Perth where I saw Cable,Farmer, Rioli and Brown in their early careers. Worked in NT (both codes), retired to Qld where the Superleague war destroyed RL, so now I fully support the only footy NATIONAL competition. (Will watch World Cup soccer but thats it, non BSKTBall )

So I fully understand what the AFL agenda is with the GC and GWS clubs re RL, and I support it, and its national comp.
And now I have an orange AFL team to follow. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

I have lived and grown up in the NW of Sydney. I am a current Parramatta Eels member and have followed them for 26 years. I love most sports and have always enjoyed watching AFL. I took an interest in the Swans but never really got passionate about them. The day GWS was created I knew I would support the club as I now had a local club I could identify with and get passionate about. The club is very active in the area I live in and I love what the club stands and what they represent. My young son (6y/o) lives in his Giants jersey and loved his first AFL game on Saturday night. I bought foundation membership and also ticketed membership for this season and I plan on keeping this membership for many many years to come.

I grew up in Western Sydney. I usually am a fan of RL (Dragons), and didn't care much for AFL, but was a dotted-line Essendon fan nonetheless. In 2008 I had to do some work down in Melbourne and decided to go to 2 Essendon Games.... One vs Hawthorn at Etihad and 1 vs Carlton at the G. I was blown away by the atmosphere of the crowd, and I developed a new appreciation for how tactical the game of AFL is.

I did consider becoming a swans fan when I got back, but I still can't get over the Warwick Capper/Eddelstone years. Also the SCG and Kings cross are two far away, so I never went to any games.

GWS is my local team and I'm glad it's there. Mind you it was pretty hard cheering against a Red and White team given that I'm a fan of St George and Bayern Munich.... but there's no way I can cheer against GWS. (I guess I'll have the swans as my no. 2 team.... so much for local rivalry).

I was born in Melbourne, but at the tender age of 6months old my family relocated to Mackay. Lived there until I was 4, then after family breakup, my mother and I headed down to Brisbane, where I lived until I was 12. I played soccer during this period but it never left much on an imprint on me. We moved in with my uncle in Melbourne when I was 13 and I started playing Australian Football. I played for St Mary's in Greensborough and started going to Carlton games. My Grandad and Uncle were wharvies and the whole dock they worked on was Blue blooded. I remember seeing SOS and Doull at Princes Park as a kid, watching Kernahan kick bags of goals and Mil Hanna burn teams down the wing.

I moved up to the Central Coast when I was 19, studying and working for peanuts, I tried to get into League but couldn't develop that same connection with it. I stayed up until the wee hours watching footy when I could. I couldn't bring myself to go for Sydney either, and this was in the Lockett days.

I enlisted into the Army at 23. It had a far stronger sporting culture than I assumed, but dominated by the rugbies. I was posted mainly around Toowoomba and kept watching the AFL in the wee hours.

I came to Canberra about 5 years ago, medically stuffed myself and have never left, I have been surprised by how strong Australian Football is here. I scoffed at the Roos and Doggies coming here and treating Canberra as a pay-packet and not really engaging with the place because it does have a lot to offer. When the Giants said they were aiming to bring Canberra into their 'catchment' I was skeptical, but with the Academy, a 10 year agreement and a board presence, I actually think they're making a decent effort of including Canberra. Watching them in the NEAFL last year and seeing Sheeds and Choco get among the crowd and talk to people was also good to see. It brought back my childhood memories of the Blues, who I still love, but distance has it's toll. I've lived outside Victoria longer than I have within it and I've married into a non-Victorian family, I'm not sure if I'll ever live in Melbourne again and have the chance to see the Blues more than 2-3 times a year. I've got tickets to the Blues v Dons in round 4 though and I relish any chance I get to see AFL level footy at all.

Heading to ANZ stadium was euphoric for me. Even for all the negatives on offer, the chance to engage with a new team along with people like me and people new to the game, represents an opportunity to build something worthwhile for our game and the region.

I was born and bred in Darwin, NT. AFL is popular there and plenty of NT boys have been good enough for the AFL over the years. I was actually a Demons supporter for many years, ever since I saw the infamous final in 1987 when Stynes gave away the 15m penalty (and the game) to Buckanara. Both the high and low point was the 2000 GF...:cry:

I've lived in Perth and saw of lots of Eagles and Freo games, without becoming completely enamoured with either side. I then lived in Brisbane and saw lots of Lions games and they became a 2nd team for a while.

Then I moved to Sydney 6 years ago and it seemed devoid of an AFL presence. Watched whatever I could on 7Mate (no Foxtel for me then) and went to a few Swans games with the missus (her team). I like the Swans and enjoyed their games and SCG atmosphere but was hanging out for the "GWS" thing.

I followed the buildup of Sheeds and Izzy Folau and the construction of a home ground at the Showgrounds. Then the Giants development side played a game at a ground about 5 mins from where I live. It was about 40 degrees at 5pm (had to have 15min qtrs and 10min breaks with the heat) and several hundred people were there. The game was ok and the young Giants had a win and I signed up for a Foundation membership.

Finally, I have a club that I feel a real connection with so I've bought memberships for everyone in my family. I live in GWS, I can watch my team play live, bring my family, wear the colours and enjoy the ups and downs. Seeing the club grow is in my interest so I try to bring along a non-AFL person to each game. Even if they become only a casual fan, it's another small win for us.

Last edited:
Grew up in a rugby union household, and was fed replays of some of the great Wallabies teams of old :)cry::cry:). When I moved to Melbourne I needed to pick an AFL team and forget all about rugby union, and as a new AFL supporter why not the new AFL team. I also fell in love with Callan Ward and his toughness - reminds me of the kind of blokes that would play through broken bones if there team needed them to. Have been a member ever since.

My family moved a lot when I was a kid, spent 2 years in Penrith where I almost became a Swans fan (until I got told there was no way I would ever play in a AFL Grand Final due to me being female. Dream ruined), after that we moved to Toowoomba in QLD and I became a die-hard Lioness. In 2006 I was still struggling for a favourite playerafter Lynchy retired, until this blonde genius from Norwood appeared on the scene. Became is player sponsor after dumping my ex in 2011, and sponsored him up until he left for the Giants. I'd always sworn that if Joel Patfull ever left the Lions I would do my darnedest to continue to support him and even sponsor him if the Club he went to allowed it, so I swallowed my pride and bought a GWS three-game membership. My first game as a Giantess was the match vs Hawthorn and I'm almost tempted to say I'd continue to support the Giants as a second team when Joelly retires, but my massive ego is having issues with that. :p

My family moved a lot when I was a kid, spent 2 years in Penrith where I almost became a Swans fan (until I got told there was no way I would ever play in a AFL Grand Final due to me being female. Dream ruined), after that we moved to Toowoomba in QLD and I became a die-hard Lioness. In 2006 I was still struggling for a favourite playerafter Lynchy retired, until this blonde genius from Norwood appeared on the scene. Became is player sponsor after dumping my ex in 2011, and sponsored him up until he left for the Giants. I'd always sworn that if Joel Patfull ever left the Lions I would do my darnedest to continue to support him and even sponsor him if the Club he went to allowed it, so I swallowed my pride and bought a GWS three-game membership. My first game as a Giantess was the match vs Hawthorn and I'm almost tempted to say I'd continue to support the Giants as a second team when Joelly retires, but my massive ego is having issues with that. :p

That didn't stop Daisy Thomas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back