Movies & TV Your 5 favorite/most meaningful movies

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
1. ALIENS - Changed my ideas of an action film. Also 1st R rated film i watched.
2. Rocky - The ultimate sports flick. And he doesnt win (shock)
3. Jurassic Park - When Spielberg made me belive dinosaurs cauld walk again.
4. Unforgiven - Greatest Western of All time, Eastwood is perfect.
5. The Martian - A newish flick. But one that drags me in. Damon could act next to a broom and win an academy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Empire Strikes Back - blew me away as a kid and first one I remember going to with Dad
This is Spinal Tap - countless viewing mates growing up and still know all the lines
Fellowship of the Rings - to see one of my favourite books bought to life so vividly - PJ is a legend
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - another fav watched a few times with Dad - who are those guys??
Schindlers List - Deeply affecting for me and one of the best

Casablanca - most perfect film ever made (except for the chick with the guitar singing the Brisbane Lions theme song)

Maltese Falcon - Humphrey Bogart

Zulu - Michael Cain, Stanley Baker and the most epic battle scenes ever (and the left handed Zulu warrior)

Henry V (the Branagh version) - one of the great filmed adaptations of the Bard.

And this is where it gets tricky. To round out my top five I have to choose one of...
Blazing Saddles;
Excalibur;
Breaker Morant;
Flying High;
Koyaanisqatsi;
Star Wars (I choose not to call it A New Hope);
McKellen's Richard III; and
Smiley Gets A Gun

But I can't so I'm not going to.

Dead Poet's Society - I loved the messages: 'seize the day' & 'be true to your self'
Shawshank Redemption - revenge is a dish best served cold, mateship in adversity & fabulous plot twists
Stagecoach - as a John Wayne fan as a lad, this is just a brilliant, classic Western with fascinating characterisations & the idea of 'justice' winning out
Zulu - such an epic portrayal of courage in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds
The Lighthorsemen - another tale of courage under fire & an Australian story at that

1.Soylent Green- Charkton Heston and briefy turned me into a greenie but not for long.
2. Blazing Saddles- For the laughs
3. Clockwork Orange- Just because
4 .The Wall- Shock Value
5. Tommy- the music

1 Stripes - Never take yourself too seriously
2 Braveheart - We all end up dead, it's just a question of how and why
3 Cocoon - Old folks are the same as young folks, just wrinklier
4 Bull Durham - I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days
5 As Good As It Gets - You Make Me Want To Be A Better Man

Lord of the rings trilogy

V for vendetta

Pacific rim(its giant robots fighting giant aliens cmon!)

Click(had a strong lesson and the first Adam sander movie to move me)

All DCEU movies(fanboy)

All DCEU movies(fanboy)

See, 80-90% of my comics collection is DC - mostly Vertigo. From Marvel I have like a Stan Lee autobiography and 1602 (which is Neil Gaiman who is at heart and soul a DC writer anyway) - yet I'm racking my brain trying to think of a decent DC movie (beyond a couple - and only a couple- of the batmans) - whereas the Marvel movies are all (mostly/majority) pretty good to excellent. Even some of the TV series are ok to watch.

Superman hasn't been good since 1977 when I was 8 and special effects just didn't exist. What they did to John Constantine was worthy of execution (the TV series which was shown at 2am just once and only lasted a season was 100x better than what Keeenoo did him)

Happy to have a couple good recommendations to counteract my perception, but for mine DC make great comics but terrible movies while Marvel make great movies but terribly formulaic and mediocre comics.

See, 80-90% of my comics collection is DC - mostly Vertigo. From Marvel I have like a Stan Lee autobiography and 1602 (which is Neil Gaiman who is at heart and soul a DC writer anyway) - yet I'm racking my brain trying to think of a decent DC movie (beyond a couple - and only a couple- of the batmans) - whereas the Marvel movies are all (mostly/majority) pretty good to excellent. Even some of the TV series are ok to watch.

Superman hasn't been good since 1977 when I was 8 and special effects just didn't exist. What they did to John Constantine was worthy of execution (the TV series which was shown at 2am just once and only lasted a season was 100x better than what Keeenoo did him)

Happy to have a couple good recommendations to counteract my perception, but for mine DC make great comics but terrible movies while Marvel make great movies but terribly formulaic and mediocre comics.
I also own a vast collection of mostly DC comics with a couple of vertigo titles.

I would recommend watching the ultimate edition of BVS as the flow is far less disjointed. The portrayal of batman was the best on screen version I've seen. Dark knight was a great movie carried by ledgers performance but I can't honestly say that bale blew me away with his batman. Also that warehouse fight.

Suicide squad has its flaws but it's the first 2 acts of the movie we're great and the introductions of the characters was a comic come to life. A splash page followed by some info on the character. I'm also in the minority but I enjoyed Leto as the joker. It was very new 52 and wasn't trying to be a copy of the other joker portrayals. Some more screen time for boomerang and croc would've been my suggestion. A scene of boomerang taking down a room of guys with various trick boomerangs similar to Legolas at Amon hen would've been amazing. I would've preferred king shark over Killer croc but thems the breaks.

Wonder Woman looks fantastic and the justice league trailer was the best trailer I've ever seen

As far as meaningful movies go:

1. Hachi - watched this during I time where I was going through some things and it left a huge impression
2. Shawshank Redemption - seems to be a popular one here, and rightly so
3. To Kill A Mockingbird - it was more so the book that had the more meaningful touch but I liked the movie also
4. The Blind Side - highlights the depth of human kindness and altruism
5. Into the Wild - a movie with a life of its own, one I would rarely say no to watching again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just re-watched Withnail & I, a classic from the early 80's. Capital H Hilarious. Very English in a poorly filmed Monty Python sort of way, but it is so well scripted that each line of dialogue is endlessly quotable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back