Multiplat Yakuza games

Remove this Banner Ad

So I finished my Y0-6 run months ago and I told myself I would wait to play Gaiden before I replay LAD again.

Well, guess what? After reading some very convincing posts on Reddit about playing LAD before Gaiden (despite Gaiden being set before LAD in the timeline), I started another play through of LAD yesterday. Two weeks to finish it before Gaiden.

What’s more is I have posted on this thread that when I do play LAD, it will be in Japanese but I ended up choosing English. I switched between English and Japanese through the first two chapters but in the end I chose English for the convenience and this dub is so good anyway, so it doesn’t really make a difference to me. In fact I have YouTubed some of the funnier dialogue in Japanese to see the difference between Japanese and English and I must say that the English dialogue is actually funnier.

Despite playing this game in English I will
Switch to Japanese when I know the original Yakuza characters show up in the game. I know the chapters they show up in.

Kasuga is definitely more comical in english but... But I just can't.

I think I mentioned it once before but playing the dub and meeting the English speaking guy outside of the vocational school. Kasuga looks at the camera and goes "oooh english 😉" lol

I think I am doing it because of the convenience and I don’t want to spend too much time pausing and YouTubing stuff I missed since Gaiden is right around the corner. I will definitely be playing Gaiden and IW in Japanese, though.

Small update in my LAD play through. Between the middle of Chapter 4 and end of Chapter 8, I have been playing in Japanese and so glad I didn’t let this opportunity pass by. It’s all around a better experience in it‘s original language just like the Yakuza games.

I found something a bit off listening to the antagonists you fight along the way on the English dub. Like the dialogue would sound so much better in Japanese and it certainly does. The English dub is fine but definitely experience these new LAD games at least once in Japanese.

I find that understanding even the most basic of Japanese gives the most from playing it in the original Japanese audio but obviously with English subtitles. By basic I mean absolute basic. I did Japanese for a couple years in high school but it was easily my worst subject, but I still remember a couple things and obviously playing these RGG games long enough in Japanese you start to pick up a few words and phrases here and there. There have been many times when the subtitles don't 100% correctly portray the actual Japanese spoken because the languages aren't like for like. There is no exact translation for everything. So there are times when I read the subtitle but know that wasn't exactly what was meant (even if I don't understand the actual Japanese spoken). These errors are then compounded once you use english dub.

I find that understanding even the most basic of Japanese gives the most from playing it in the original Japanese audio but obviously with English subtitles. By basic I mean absolute basic. I did Japanese for a couple years in high school but it was easily my worst subject, but I still remember a couple things and obviously playing these RGG games long enough in Japanese you start to pick up a few words and phrases here and there. There have been many times when the subtitles don't 100% correctly portray the actual Japanese spoken because the languages aren't like for like. There is no exact translation for everything. So there are times when I read the subtitle but know that wasn't exactly what was meant (even if I don't understand the actual Japanese spoken). These errors are then compounded once you use english dub.
Does knowing "Yume" count as basic Japanese? ;)

You can follow most of Y5 with just that!

So calling Saeko “Psycho” in the English dub isn’t correct? :p

1700957426996.gif

I remember reading a while back that Yong Yea’s socials seems to be dedicated to shitting all over certain devs and there was this thing where he was criticising a voice actors performance. I didn’t care enough to verify though but yeah, don’t s**t all over a performer lest you have your own shitty performance lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1860926

I remember reading a while back that Yong Yea’s socials seems to be dedicated to shitting all over certain devs and there was this thing where he was criticising a voice actors performance. I didn’t care enough to verify though but yeah, don’t s**t all over a performer lest you have your own shitty performance lol.

I never really followed a lot of YY. Unless I'm mistaken he was always one of those "hot take" kind of dudes who would s**t on a lot of things. Since I don't really care what anyone else thinks (couldn't think of a polite way to word that lol) I've never really bothered with him or his type of content creators. I guess the moral of the story is maybe tone down the criticism if you can't do any better yourself.

I never really followed a lot of YY. Unless I'm mistaken he was always one of those "hot take" kind of dudes who would s**t on a lot of things. Since I don't really care what anyone else thinks (couldn't think of a polite way to word that lol) I've never really bothered with him or his type of content creators. I guess the moral of the story is maybe tone down the criticism if you can't do any better yourself.

Exactly.

As someone who has played LAD with the English dub, it is disappointing that the Kiryu voice actor (Darryl Kurylo) in that game was replaced at all. He did a very good job. Strange choice to replace him.

Have decided I will replay the Judgment games after I get done with IW. I haven’t done a Japanese audio option for the Judgment games when I played them the first time but I feel like another English playthrough again. Can’t see myself wanting to read another 50+ hour Japanese interactive story anytime soon lol.

Have decided I will replay the Judgment games after I get done with IW. I haven’t done a Japanese audio option for the Judgment games when I played them the first time but I feel like another English playthrough again. Can’t see myself wanting to read another 50+ hour Japanese interactive story anytime soon lol.

I honestly can't stomach the English dubs, just feel way too out of place.

Duck Farmer , I noticed you reacted to my post about the Yakuza game sales from early last month. There is another sale currently running on the PS Store. Some great prices on there for most of the Yakuza games.
Yeah, saw your link and saw the Remastered Collection is currently $16. May pick it up for PS5, although I have GamePass and it's on there as well, but I guess it could disappear before I get around to playing it.

Thought I’d be able to knock off the last of Like a Dragon this weekend before starting Persona 3 but I hit that point in Chapter 11/12 where they spoke the difficulty.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought I’d be able to knock off the last of Like a Dragon this weekend before starting Persona 3 but I hit that point in Chapter 11/12 where they spoke the difficulty.

There are two points that happens and it doesn't really warn you. Not sure if you can go back but I always found a run or two of the Sotenbori battle arena was the most effective to gain a few levels when I needed.

There are two points that happens and it doesn't really warn you. Not sure if you can go back but I always found a run or two of the Sotenbori battle arena was the most effective to gain a few levels when I needed.

Got through the fight at level 42, I was very close to just putting it down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back