• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm going to state that I consider the AFL to have become a fully professional organisation for teams in 2000.

The Eagles have just lost to a team that was 18th on the ladder with a % of 60 by 116 points. I have seen the lows of Carlton, Essendon, GWS, GC, Freo, Richmond and even teams like Melbourne go the deliberate tank.

There was no tanking by WCE today which is all the more damning. I am trying to reconcile this. This in my mind is the single worst performance put in by a team in AFL history by West Coast.

Couldn't be far off.

I've said a few times, I have no idea how Simpson still has a job.

It's escaped a lot of people in the east because there's not much coverage of them. They're totally uncompetitive. Worse than North.
West Coast are worse than us this season but I'd still strongly argue that the 2022 version of North were worse than West Coast are now.

I think a healthy Eagles side is still bottom 4, just when you have 25 or so available (mostly kids) for a prolonged period it catches up with you and the cliff beckons. They were admirable for the first several rounds (save some Q2 blowouts) but that Carlton hammering was always coming and they haven't recovered since then.

It happened to the Suns in the early Dew years, injury-riddled seasons that just went hopelessly south and became write-offs.

The sad thing is that they hit a softer bit of the draw where they played Tigers-Suns-Hawks who were all well down the ladder at that point. They saved their worst for when they had more hope of snatching a win. Also caught a poor Freo when they were well down and that was ill-fated too.

Last edited:
It is just wild how bad our list is. There are like 5 players that are young and talented enough to even have a theoretical shot at coming out the other side of the rebuild.

In theory the go all in on trying to win the flag and then completely bottom out was the right strategy. But I didn't think it would get this bad and it now risks a situation where you struggle to develop the young players we do have.

Really think we should go hard at trying to bring in free agents just to at least have afl standard players out there.

Easily - The club will just blame lack of availability of players, yet refuse to accept they have had a lot more injuries than any other club the last few years and it's not down to bad luck due to the frequency of injuries.

its not bad luck when you consistently resign guys who are injury prone, ie: yeo, shuey, niknat etc etc. These guys have barely played in the past 3 years yet they get another contract.

its not bad luck when you consistently resign guys who are injury prone, ie: yeo, shuey, niknat etc etc. These guys have barely played in the past 3 years yet they get another contract.
Yes and why are they injury prone? It's not like they were always injured during their careers, it's only the last few years and yes getting older does impact but a better run club would not be in this situation. Club needs to take responsibility on why they are experiencing so many injuries constantly and sort it out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to state that I consider the AFL to have become a fully professional organisation for teams in 2000.

The Eagles have just lost to a team that was 18th on the ladder with a % of 60 by 116 points. I have seen the lows of Carlton, Essendon, GWS, GC, Freo, Richmond and even teams like Melbourne go the deliberate tank.

There was no tanking by WCE today which is all the more damning. I am trying to reconcile this. This in my mind is the single worst performance put in by a team in AFL history by West Coast.

It's up there. Although WC have added in a lot of low water marks since the second half of 2021.

I can’t believe some people still talk about injuries.

I don’t care if you only have the bottom 22 players on your list fit… they’re AFL footballers and don’t lose to Hawthorn by 100 points.

There are massive issues at West Coast. Simpson and his crew have clearly completely lost the players.

Easily - The club will just blame lack of availability of players, yet refuse to accept they have had a lot more injuries than any other club the last few years and it's not down to bad luck due to the frequency of injuries.

I've asked an injury question in the WCE time for rebuild, and I'll ask another couple here.

Are Freo getting these injuries? Pointing to Perth Stadium as a probable cause?

If not, could it be Lathlain Park? WCE moved there in 2019 after Subi was closed.

Or is it their HP dept generally?

Back