Opinion Worst/least favourite 10 matches you have seen involving your club

Remove this Banner Ad

1 2009 Grand Final: No explanation needed, worst day of my football following life

2 2005 Preliminary Final People would think the replay would be second, but that last quarter is the stuff nightmares are made of.

3 2010 Replay: Cringeworthy game from our side. The draw was what made it more annoying, knowing we could do better.

4 2004 Preliminary Final: Gutting ending to a breakout year

5 2006 Elimination Final: Limp wristed effort after half time, terrible game to watch.

6 Round 21 2009: One loss against Essendon was ok, that game against North was disgusting. Should've done so much better.

7 Round 21 2005: Fremantle got the rub of the green the whole night, "whispers in the sky" scandal, we had a chance to run the ball out and mucked it up. Terrible game.

All I can think of at the moment.

1. 2008 Rd 22 vs Port Adelaide. Had a close game at Geelong the week before and all we needed to do was to beat Port at the MCG infront of 21k on a Saturday afternoon to make top 4. Port were 14 or 15th and just overan us. Wrecked the season and was very devastating to blow the double chance and then got knocked out by Sydney the week later. We had beaten Hawthorn that year and got close to Geelong twice too.

2. 2007 Prelim. Arch's last game, we beat Hawthorn the week before and kicked 3 goals early and then didn't kick a goal for ages. I always remember Chad Cornes over celebrating.

3. 2005 Elim. Looked good in 2005, beat Collingwood in a thriller. We kicked 6.6 to 6.1 in the first term. Sav Rocca was not going to play because of his wife being in labour and was rushed to the game. Should have sewn up that game at quarter time kicking straighter.

4. Last week's game against Collingwood.
Was the worst I'd seen North play in a while, no effort, no heart and to let Collingwood just pull our pants down was embrassing and disgraceful.

5. 2001 vs Essendon. Listened to the game on the radio and to kick 12 goals in the first term and lead by 69 mid way through the second term was a mighty fine effort. I was never confidient of winning though. Essendon were a mighty good football side and just overan us in the end. Jason Johnson dominated and without Carey, Stevo and Mick North put in a bloody good effort.

6. 2007 QF vs Geelong. A bit of a melee in the pre game and I thought we had come to play. Kicked 3 goals in the first term (Edwards, McIntosh and Firrito) and then went to bed and lost by 100 points. Geelong at the time were unbeatable and it was more dissapointing to lose by that much in a final.

7. 2007 vs Pies. Lost by a couple of points, Shagga missed a sitter from the square to seal the game.

8. 2002 Elim vs Melbourne. First final I'd ever gone too and we played well but just got overan in the second half.

9. 2011 vs Brisbane. To lead all day and then lose was shattering. Simon Black's chest pass will always be remembered.

10. 2002 vs Sydney. Played superbly all day and then Shannon Motlop gave away a tiggy touchwood free kick to Creswell who goaled after the siren was shattering.

Others to mention: 1998 GF (I was only 4 at the time, so vague memories)

So many for the Tiges - here are a few that still grate:

2007 Cats - lost by 150- odd, even if I saw less than 3/4 of it.
1987 Pies - up by 40 at 3/4 time, lost
1989 Cats - lost by 130-odd, Ablett kicked 14
The McCartney game - awesome for him, but felt like universe was against us
The Dreamtime game when Richo was pinned for hands in the back
2000 Swans - lose by 1pt, miss finals
2002 Blues - don't kick historically bad Blues team while they're down
Rd 1 Crows game, early 90s - lose by 100 odd points in Rd 1, memberships torn up
2002? 03? Saints - horrible Saints team suffocates us, Grant Thomas vindicated
1989 Dogs - kick 3 goals, 9 years old and realize we will win spoon

10.2005? Massive loss to freo. First Collingwood game and we get smashed.
9. 2011 Got smashed against the cats, could not believe it, we just weren't there.
8. 2009 Preliminary final loss to Geelong, up 15-3 I think in first term before we got blown away.
7. 2010 Against Hawthorn when Beams missed that sitter and we led by 18points in the final term as well.
6. 2006-7-8??? When we loss to North after that shocking bounce in the middle and they got it forward.
5. 2011 Round 9 loss to cats. Pendles denied that goal, what could of been...
4. 2006 Lost to Bulldogs in first elimination final, Tarrants last game with us for 4 years.
3. 2009 ANZAC day clash against Bombers when Zaharakis kicked a goal with 7 bloody seconds left, where Shaw should of kicked it will be an answer that we will never know.
2. 2002-2003 GF losses, glossy Aker in 02', should of had that one and 03'cant believe we were favourites, everything went wrong.
1. 2011 GF, words cant explain how I felt and what I thought of the match.

1. 1999 PF vs Carlton - still haven't forgiven Wallis or John Elliott for that day
2. 1990 GF vs Collingwood - After finishing top. Sat amongst feral Collingwood fans all day. Enough said
3. 1992 R20 vs Hawthorn - lost by 160pts. Left once James Morrissey starting kicking left foot goals over his head from the boundary line 50m out
4. 1987 R17 vs Sydney - lost by 163pts. Disgraceful, even while watching it on TV
5. 1995 SF vs Richmond - after being ahead at half time, I watched us capitulate in the second half
6. 1989 PF vs Geelong - had our pants pulled down that day by Ablett
7. 1983 GF vs Hawthorn - simply not good enough, but the next 2 years more than made up for it
8. 1995 R4 vs Collingwood - Anzac Day draw. Bloody Saverio Rocca
9. 2001 GF vs Brisbane - I knew after the game that Brisbane would dominate for years to come
10. 1986 EF vs Fitzroy - can still see that Mick Conlan goal in my nightmares

1999 Prelim against Carlton
1969 Grand final against Carlton
2011 Loss to Sydney umpires gifted 35 to 20 free licks to Sydney.
2001 GF loss to Brisbane
1983 GF loss to Hawthorn
1990 GF loss to Collingwood after finishing top
1948 GF kicking 7.27 against Melbourne for draw then lost replay.
1947 GF loss by 1 point to Carlton, we kicked ourselves out of it.

1986 Elimination final loss by 1 point to Fitzroy
2009 Eliminated by Adelaide by 96 points.

And every other game we have ever lost...

And you still remember those games?
Geez, how old are you?:)

The game the following week against the previously winless Freo was worse IMO. We were 17 points up at 3/4 time, but Freo kicked 7.5 to 2.1 in the last term to win by 17 points themselves.

Another game against Freo in 2005 at Skilled was shocking too. The Dockers had invented a game plan where they'd have utilise a huddle 40m up the field from the guy with the ball, and then lead out to the flanks, and then move the huddle further down the field. Was stop-start football all day which was boring to watch, but it was effective. They led by 9 points at 1/4 time, and were able to hold on to win by the same margin.

Yep these were certainly painful to watch also. Another game against Hawthorn that was not so memorable- don't remember the round, think it was 1995 or 96, maybe even 97. Was only a little tacker at the time, but I remember it being a cold and windy day at KP. Hawthorn (think they were actually in the bottom 4 at the time, whilst we were 4th or something like that), with Dunstall and pretty much half their side out, rolled us by two points after they failed to score in the third quarter and trailed by close to 5 goals at 3/4 time in a low scoring contest.

10. North Melbourne vs Richmond 2001 - Corey went touchless and it was the first time as growing up barracking for North I felt that we weren't a great team anymore. Reality set in leaving the ground.

9. North Melbourne vs Richmond 1995 - First ever Monday night game and it was over by quarter time. Jurica put on a clinic.

8. North Melbourne vs Carlton 1995 PF - We had talked ourselves up, Denis had pumped up the boys and talked down Carlton. We got angry and lost control of the game early.

7. North Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 2008 - Last game of the year, need to win to finish 4th, Shaggas 300th game. Disgraceful performance and the end of Laidley.

6. North Melbourne vs Sydney 1996 - At Optus Oval, horrible day. Plugger run riot and they won by 90 odd points. Luckily we reversed it in September.

5. North Melbourne vs St Kilda 2011 - The second time, when we needed to win to have a chance for finals. One of the worst umpired and worst turn arounds I have seen.

4. North Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 2007 PF - Crap performance against a crap team with the crappest supporters around.

3. North Melbourne vs Essendon 2000 QF - Rubbish. Had fairly high hopes going in and it was a farce. They completely out played us and to rub salt into the wound Lloyd kicked his 100th. Terrible day at the footy.

2. North Melbourne vs Geelong 1994 PF - Not one of the worst games for umpiring, THE WORST, 27-11 free kicks and luck killed us in the end

1. North Melbourne vs Adelaide 1998 GF - Nuff said

10. Rd 16 2011 - well up on Essendon in 3rd qtr, and then just folded. Very depressing.
9. Rd 11 1998 vs St Kilda - had a great start and then we just kicked it to Everett all day. really dumb.
8. Rd 1 2009 vs Carlton - lost by 83 and it wasn't that close.
7. Some game in the 70s vs Fitzroy at the Junction Oval - we were premiers, they were wooden spooners and....well, you can guess.
6. Some game vs saints at Moorabbin in 70s. They were rubbish and they slaughtered us. Royce Hart took mark of the day and the ump took it off him for putting his boot in his opponents neck.
5. Adelaide 1993 - they beat us by 20+ goals. Or was it 1997 vs Adelaide - when they beat us by 20+ goals? They've blended in my mind into one giant horror show....
4. Rd 4 2000 vs freo at Docklands. Hate the new ground, but at least Freo won't beat us - they won't will they? Aaaaargh! I Hate Docklands!!!
3. Rd 1 2006 vs Bulldogs - we were given a chance and expected to be big improvers - and we lost by 115.
2. 1982 GF. We had better players than Carlton - they were a better team, better prepared, better tactics. I can accept '72 as a clever ambush by Carlton - but 82 really, really hurts.

And, surprisingly, the worst game I have attended was a game we won

1. Rd 21 1996 vs Fitzroy. Their last game in Melbourne. We had to thrash them because we needed %age to try and make the finals (we finished 9th, of course). Men vs Boys. We won by 150. Roys fans crying, Tigers fans looking away. Just horrible.

Yep these were certainly painful to watch also. Another game against Hawthorn that was not so memorable- don't remember the round, think it was 1995 or 96, maybe even 97. Was only a little tacker at the time, but I remember it being a cold and windy day at KP. Hawthorn (think they were actually in the bottom 4 at the time, whilst we were 4th or something like that), with Dunstall and pretty much half their side out, rolled us by two points after they failed to score in the third quarter and trailed by close to 5 goals at 3/4 time in a low scoring contest.

in 1996 geelong led hawthorn 8.10.58 to 6.7 43 at 3/4 time, the hawks not scoring at all in the 3rd qtr. the cats kick the first goal of the last qtr, before the hawks finish all over them to win 11.8.74 to 10.12.72.

In 1995, the hawks had dunstall and half their side out, but won at KP 11.12.78 to 9.19.73

Between 1995-1999, the hawks played at KP 5 times, for 4 wins, by margins of 5, 2, 6 and 2 points

here are my top ten, in no real order:

1984 r19 north melb v hawthorn - north are second last, hawthorn second, we get smashed 17.20.122 to 7.9.51!!!

1984 r17 fitzroy - junction oval, absolutely pissed down rain all day, we lose top spot to a fitzroy side who had started planning for 1985, this win started a run of 6 straight for them that saw them make the 5! 11.11.77 to 10.7.67

1983 r11 v geelong - princes park, early last qtr, we lead 11.15.81 to 8.9.57, but geelong finish all over us for a 7 point win, 14.11.95 to 12.16.88

1983 r19 v essendon at windy hill, the previos week, essendon smashed at home by lowly richmond, we had just beaten north melb at arden st for top spot, essendon kick the first 10 of the match to lead 10.4.64 to 0.1.1, and we end up losing the match by 46 points 23.18.156 to 16.14.110, and top spot, rene kink kicked about 6 goals too!!!

1985 r20 v footscray at western oval, my first trip out west, sees us lead 4.1.25 to 0.2.2 at qtr time, we only kick 1 more goal for the match to lose by 5 points 5.13.43 to 5.8.38, on an absolute bog of a surface

1982 r13 v footscray western oval, we were 3rd, dogs last, 3/4 time, we lead 12.17.89 to 8.8.56, dogs then coming home with the wind, kick 8 in the last to nothing to win by 15 points, 16.11.107 to 12.20.92, copped it hard at school on the monday i can tell ya!

1979 r11 v footscray princes park, previous week we had a massive win over north in gf replay in sydney, we had been struggling with injuries all year, then we play doggies, and lead by 21 at 3/4 time, before Neil Bristow kicks 3 last qtr goals including the winner, to win by 1 point 15.11.101 to 15.10.100

1987 second semi final v carlton, lead early third qtr 9.2.56 to 2.11.23, then dunstall does his ankle, limps off, carlton come back, win by 15 pts, 11.14.80 to 10.5.65, this loss i feel cost us the 1987 flag!

1984 grand final, i don't need to go into details, we all know it

2001 r18 v fremantle, freo are winless, 0-17, we are in the top 4, 11/6 or similar, start off ok, but we kept getting inuuries, left with no bench. lead at half time by 29 points before neing overrun 16.10.106 to 13.12.90, the most embarrassed i have ever felt!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10. ROUND 21, 2003, St.Kilda 13.17 (Gehrig 3, Ball 2, X.Clarke 2, Powell 2, Dal Santo, Hamill, Harvey, Koschitzke) def W.Bulldogs 3.12 (Giansiracusa, Johnson, Power). Cold wet day in Launceston, we played like a disinterested team that didn't look like scoring anything most of the day let alone a goal.
I don't recall that game, though it was like a taste of their own medicine for the Bulldogs, who lost it exactly as Carlton and West Coast had in similar conditions at the Western Oval in 1991 and 1992: by failing to goal with a gale in the second quarter and allowing the opponents a couple at an end where goals were almost impossible to get.

I really wonder how you would have felt when Daniel Giansiracusa kicked the Bulldogs' first goal into the wind late in the opening quarter. Of St. Kilda's 13-17 (95) only 3-4 (22) was kicked into the wind, so I can imagine that at quarter time you would have thought that the Bulldogs, although they had conceded five goals, had a chance of kicking that many with the wind in the second quarter and being right in the game. Do you recall what happened in the second quarter and why the Bulldogs were so poor as to kick 0-3 (3) with a strong wind at their back. Did St. Kilda simply get too much possession?

10. 1999 GF vs North- We were never supposed to be in that Grand Final but it was still disappointing

9. 2009 vs Hawthorn- The game where Fev missed on the siren. I thought he'd kicked and was going crazy. Crashed back down to earth when it was signalled a point.

8. Round 15, 2003 vs West Coast- The first 100+ loss I'd ever seen us have

7. Round 9, 2005 vs Melbourne- The last ever game at Princes Park. Shattering.

6. Round 22, 2003 vs North- Carlton's biggest loss of all time, made worse by the fact that I was with a North supporter when it happened.

5. Round 11, 2006 vs West coast- Up by 40 at 3 quarter time, Eagles win by 10.

4. Round 12, 2007 vs Hawthorn- Absolute annihilation and was watching with a mate who goes for the Hawks

3. Last year's semi final vs West Coast- Andy Walker should have gotten a free kick with seconds to go. Such a deflating loss.

2. Elimination final 2009 vs Brisbane- Had the game sewn up 10 minutes into the last quarter. Fu*king Bradshaw with that snap from the boundary.

1. Round 16, 2007 vs Brisbane- Pagan's last game as coach, my first game I'd been to in 3 years. Only time I've ever cried due to footy. The crowd erupting when Brown kicked his tenth still gives me nightmares.

1. 2008 Rd 22 vs Port Adelaide. Had a close game at Geelong the week before and all we needed to do was to beat Port at the MCG infront of 21k on a Saturday afternoon to make top 4. Port were 14 or 15th and just overan us. Wrecked the season and was very devastating to blow the double chance and then got knocked out by Sydney the week later. We had beaten Hawthorn that year and got close to Geelong twice too.

2. 2007 Prelim. Arch's last game, we beat Hawthorn the week before and kicked 3 goals early and then didn't kick a goal for ages. I always remember Chad Cornes over celebrating.
Two games I never think of. It is true that Port Adelaide were a mediocre side even in 2007, so these two losses may be sore points for a team moving beyond the attack-at-all-costs style that made North Melbourne so distinctive in the Krakouer and Carey eras - but which fails badly under today’s climate and stadiums. I have never thought that they would have been strong enough even with the best luck and management to make a big impact, though.

4. Round 21 or 22 in 2005. Jeff White kicks the goal to keep us out of the finals.
I know this is an old comment, but I was at that game on the flank where White got that free kick we were absolutely robbed. Only 12 and probably the only game I remember like it was yesterday from back when I was younger, was the first time the dogs had been a finals chance that I was old enough to remember/care. Was in tears after the game. Absolutely soul crushing.

Looking back its probably the best match I've ever been at

I know this is an old comment, but I was at that game on the flank where White got that free kick we were absolutely robbed. Only 12 and probably the only game I remember like it was yesterday from back when I was younger, was the first time the dogs had been a finals chance that I was old enough to remember/care. Was in tears after the game. Absolutely soul crushing.

Looking back its probably the best match I've ever been at
I remember it like it was yesterday as well. Scarred me for life.
When I went to the Dogs vs Dees game this year, this match was on the screen and TV's around the ground. I looked up just as he got the free kick and kicked the goal. Heartbreaking.

2001 r18 v fremantle, freo are winless, 0-17, we are in the top 4, 11/6 or similar, start off OK, but we kept getting injuries, left with no bench. lead at half time by 29 points before being overrun 16.10.106 to 13.12.90, the most embarrassed i have ever felt!!!
I remember a lot of talk on radio of Fremantle becoming the first 0 and 22 club, and seriously expected it to happen given how much more predictable the replacement of Waverley made match outcomes (I really could perceive such when Essendon looked like breaking North Melbourne's old VFA record of 49 straight) but when I look at it today it is clear Hawthorn were suffering a reaction from the excitement of the previous week's last-kick win over Carlton, though such cannot explain how Hawthorn led by over 40 points early on before collapsing.

I remember a lot of talk on radio of Fremantle becoming the first 0 and 22 club, and seriously expected it to happen given how much more predictable the replacement of Waverley made match outcomes (I really could perceive such when Essendon looked like breaking North Melbourne's old VFA record of 49 straight) but when I look at it today it is clear Hawthorn were suffering a reaction from the excitement of the previous week's last-kick win over Carlton, though such cannot explain how Hawthorn led by over 40 points early on before collapsing.

the reason we collapsed was partially due to the fact that by the end of the game, we had no interchange bench.
we lost daniel chick with a hamstring injury in the first 5 mins, and we just kept losing players throughout the day and had no rotations left.
however, we still should not have lost to fremantle after leading by 29 points at half time, in the last qtr, they kicked 6 goals to 1!

the reason we collapsed was partially due to the fact that by the end of the game, we had no interchange bench.
we lost daniel chick with a hamstring injury in the first 5 mins, and we just kept losing players throughout the day and had no rotations left.
however, we still should not have lost to fremantle after leading by 29 points at half time, in the last qtr, they kicked 6 goals to 1!
That was what the newspapers actually said, but it still does not explain how Hawthorn rebounded so well as to thrash Melbourne by eighty-five points the following week with the only changes being the inclusion of Matthew Dent, Daniel Harford and Trent Croad (who kicked five goals). On the other hand after losing their last three home-and-away games to the Western Bulldogs, Adelaide and second last St. Kilda, Hawthorn managed to rebound so well they were within nine points of the Grand Final, so something must have been wrong for such inconsistency in the Docklands era.

10. 2nd Qualifying Final v North Melbourne 1999 - Excitement of our first final and we end up losing by 44 points to the eventual premiers

9. Rd 10 2005 v West Coast Eagles - 117 points the year after we win a premiership however we bounced back the next week against the Saints in Tassie

8. Rd 10 v Richmond 2010 - Happy 140 Years Port Adelaide lets lose to richmond who hadn't won a game in yonks

7. Rd 20 v Collingwood 2011 - 138 Points it couldn't get any worse right

6. Rd 21 v Hawthorn 2011 - WRONG - 165 Points what more can you say

5. 2003 Qualifying Final v Sydney - How did this happen after the year before seriously

4. 2002 Qualifying Final v Collingwood - Peter what were you thinking, then again what was half the squad thinking

3. Semi Final 2005 - Mega Showdown = Mega Let down

2. Round 5 2011 v Gold Coast Suns - 38 points up and then capitulation

1. 2007 AFL Grand Final - Explanation not needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back