Games & Recreation Work Christmas Parties

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's about time to lament the state of the good old end of year work Chrissy do, where you'd get the balls to speak to Miranda and you'd make a pillock of yourself but it's okay because so too did everyone.

These days, businesses just don't seem to have one. As far as I can understand, these used to be common place 'thank yous' to the little man, regardless of if he was a s**t-eating cog mopping floors or the boozy TV presenter at the ABC: everyone got a Christmas party because it was a simple, common thank you for a year's work.

It's now a supreme privilege to have a work do and it seems so many now have stingy caveats: no partners, bring a dish, do it on a Tuesday because the venue hire is cheaper.

To me, it isn't even about wanting to see people you work with. A lot of people don't want to be mates with their co-workers, and that's fine. A fair few people wouldn't be interested in going to an event like this. But it's about the spirit of giving something back, and the fine tradition of 'should I or shouldn't I?', wacking on some cologne, and drinking free Peronis while you yarn about a common ground like football or how much everyone in HR up in Sydney are campaigners.

The carefree atmosphere and inevitable horseplay is now gone. The bitching, the conversation with someone you would never have had, the seeing the Indian bloke rock up that you didn't expect to... all pissed away through mega-corporations counting to the last decimal point.

In fact, so many companies now are lucky to give out $20 vouchers as a thanks. I know massive employers like Coles and Woolworths simply give staff a 10%, not 5%, discount for December. Those companies are grotty enough but that sort of s**t is an insult and a slur to the working people, the average people, of Australia.

I love going to pubs in December on a nice, sunny, orange bright afternoon and seeing people rock up and some silly DJ being in the front bar. Even as an onlooker there's a nice vibe to people rocking up and hanging out who usually don't past 5pm, all in a good mood, having a few drinks and a laugh.

Heaps of my mates have never been to one – I haven't. I wouldn't even particularly be energised by it, but I'd still go. Have some awkward 'hey man, how's it going?' Talk about the surprisingly nice venue, the unsurprisingly stingey one... you know... see what these people wear out of work, see how they act, suss out what they drink! Maybe, who knows, one of them is a lager lout or someone rocks up on pingers. I don't know. But it seems a heckin shame and sham that we no longer have the work party, and that work party season is going to get less and less obvious these days.

Do you have a Christmas party for work? Did you? Any good stories? Any bad?

Too long. Summarise.
Companies are far too tight these days and so many people work for conglomerates who don't have work parties, so instead of everyone getting a couple of hours of free beers and chardies and a bit of food as a thank you over Christmas, people just... don't. The Christmas Party was the last bastion of thanks and respect that the working Australian got – now it's gone.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Have never worked anywhere that didn't have a Christmas party.

Worked in retail as a student. We had staged Christmas lunch at work (busiest time of the year for supermarkets, so not like all staff could take an hour off at once or the shop was ever closed at lunch time) and you used to get a gift like a generic card and $10 box of Lindt chocolates. Not really that exciting to be working in Coles then eating sliced ham from the Coles deli, chips from the Coles chip aisle etc. I don't remember any specific work Christmas parties outside that but the odd work function on a Saturday night etc. was always a pay your way affair, and was pretty boring for the few 18-21 year old part timers who attended as it was mainly for the 30-40-50 year old full time career retailers to let their hair down and have a few pre-mix Jack Daniels and bitch about how ****ed working full time in retail is.

Worked for a small company of about a dozen people. They used to have a dinner at a nice restaurant with booze included and partners invited. In a company that size it's not like you get a chance to talk to the hot girl in marketing or anything, everyone knows everyone. I always got the impression that company made a lot of money for its size so it's not like the owners were reaching too deep into their pockets.

Worked for a medium sized ATO-listed company. They used to have a big do that cost $50k-100k and was similar to a large wedding reception. Cocktail food, booze, partners included etc. The sort of event that might scrape into the social pages in the West between the D-grade Instagram celebs self-promoting somewhere. I think they scaled it back to a shitter venue when the company was laying people off, but they still had a party. I don't think they ever cut off partners either. When you work for a company that publishes its financial results it's easy to get annoyed if they skimp on s**t while making a $100m profit that year.

Currently work for a smallish private firm and we have a Christmas party similar to the above but a lot smaller. Sit down buffet dinner, booze, partners etc. Again it's not like a huge organisation with multiple divisions where there is a mythical office of hot chicks everyone wants to hit on. Last year we got a card and a prepaid Visa or Coles Group card or something like that. Was $200 from memory which is nice without being life changing.

I've got friends at big companies like BHP and they tend to be fun police to the extreme. I don't know if there's 'a' BHP Christmas party given they employ thousands all over the state on different rosters but the idea of a Friday arvo beer in the office to them is sackable offence. But then they'll happily pay someone a 10-20% bonus on top of their salary which helps to retain employees who otherwise hate everything about their job and the company.

Got a mate who works for his family business, so their work Christmas party is just their immediate family plus 2 or 3 others that work there which sounds lame. Teacher Christmas parties also tend to be dependent on who is there at a given time as schools don't have entertainment budgets and don't really want teachers pissing on on school grounds.

Didn't go this year. Went last year, first one in ten years. Was nice.

However the best work dos were our old department only parties done without official work approval. After two years of these involving hospitalisations and everyone, including the department bosses, calling in sick the next day, we got told to wrap them up.

Sent from mTalk

I've been working at a pretty traditional smallish retail business for the last three years and not only do we have a Christmas lunch/open bar on the last day, they still do decent Christmas bonuses. Definitely much nicer than some chain retailers I've worked for.

We have a party, every year.

We have beer, meat and bongs.

No wives.

Old guys acting like drucken, stoned dickheads without the disapproving looks from the War Office.

It's glorious.

It's about time to lament the state of the good old end of year work Chrissy do, where you'd get the balls to speak to Miranda and you'd make a pillock of yourself but it's okay because so too did everyone.

These days, businesses just don't seem to have one. As far as I can understand, these used to be common place 'thank yous' to the little man, regardless of if he was a s**t-eating cog mopping floors or the boozy TV presenter at the ABC: everyone got a Christmas party because it was a simple, common thank you for a year's work.

It's now a supreme privilege to have a work do and it seems so many now have stingy caveats: no partners, bring a dish, do it on a Tuesday because the venue hire is cheaper.

To me, it isn't even about wanting to see people you work with. A lot of people don't want to be mates with their co-workers, and that's fine. A fair few people wouldn't be interested in going to an event like this. But it's about the spirit of giving something back, and the fine tradition of 'should I or shouldn't I?', wacking on some cologne, and drinking free Peronis while you yarn about a common ground like football or how much everyone in HR up in Sydney are campaigners.

The carefree atmosphere and inevitable horseplay is now gone. The bitching, the conversation with someone you would never have had, the seeing the Indian bloke rock up that you didn't expect to... all pissed away through mega-corporations counting to the last decimal point.

In fact, so many companies now are lucky to give out $20 vouchers as a thanks. I know massive employers like Coles and Woolworths simply give staff a 10%, not 5%, discount for December. Those companies are grotty enough but that sort of s**t is an insult and a slur to the working people, the average people, of Australia.

I love going to pubs in December on a nice, sunny, orange bright afternoon and seeing people rock up and some silly DJ being in the front bar. Even as an onlooker there's a nice vibe to people rocking up and hanging out who usually don't past 5pm, all in a good mood, having a few drinks and a laugh.

Heaps of my mates have never been to one – I haven't. I wouldn't even particularly be energised by it, but I'd still go. Have some awkward 'hey man, how's it going?' Talk about the surprisingly nice venue, the unsurprisingly stingey one... you know... see what these people wear out of work, see how they act, suss out what they drink! Maybe, who knows, one of them is a lager lout or someone rocks up on pingers. I don't know. But it seems a ****in shame and sham that we no longer have the work party, and that work party season is going to get less and less obvious these days.

Do you have a Christmas party for work? Did you? Any good stories? Any bad?

Businesses are too scared to have them now mainly because of the lawsuit from old mate having a crack at Miranda.

I chuck a sicky every year because I hate every campaigner I work with.

And I'm the boss.

My experience is probably the opposite. There's the big whole organisation Christmas party, a smaller team one, then depending on what your role is, perhaps you get an invitation to a stakeholder's party or two as well. If you're the head of one of our departments, I wouldn't be surprised if you got an invitation to half a dozen or more Christmas parties that could be tied in to 'work'.

I'm not huge on them these days though. Our main one starts at 3pm on Friday and, to be honest, I'd rather go straight home. Don't hate the people I work with, but not that desperate to get maggoted with them either. I'll have 2-3 to keep up appearances and hopefully be home by 5pm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im a nurse. This is what we experience. Hospital pays for maybe a few food trucks, there's soft drink . Some of the wards put on funny skits and there's a few awards. We get maybe 1/2hr to an hour to eat then we go back as the alternate shift has their turn.

Meanwhile admin staff and the head honchos can stay for ages and avail themselves of the free booze which obviously we aren't allowed to touch.

The current hospital i work at laid on ....wait for it...a sausage sizzle cold drink and icecream. While i got mine the food ran out and some staff missed out.

To be honest it always makes me sad that we work so hard and yet we don't even get 2 hours to sit on our arse and have fun.

Yeah my work doesn’t have one the stingy campaigners.

They have a dinner for all the older full time workers and that’s it.

Pisses me off a bit to be honest. They sound like a bit of fun to me.

Best one I had was about 15 years ago with a small company (eight employees) in Melbourne. Bosses got us a hotel room each in the city, great food at a Japanese restaurant and various entertainment throughout the evening. Partners were invited and free drinks, as well as lots of gifts. It was a Sunday thing though, and we all had to work the next day...

My first Christmas party in Perth was pretty crazy. Went to the Empire Bar (!) and as I hadn't been here that long, it was my first real night out. Quickly realised Perth is full of loose campaigners.

EDIT: Should say that I work with a government department now and there hasn't been an official one the four years I've been there. They have a sausage sizzle at lunch time and a choir comes in from the city office... Sometimes the bosses have a quick word, thanking us for our hard work, mostly they don't.

What you mean they don't exist anymore? Every company I've worked for the last 10 years had one. Even Woolies when I was a part timer there hired a local venue with free booze! I work for a large organization now and every department has one - hired venue bar tab finger food etc

What you mean they don't exist anymore? Every company I've worked for the last 10 years had one. Even Woolies when I was a part timer there hired a local venue with free booze! I work for a large organization now and every department has one - hired venue bar tab finger food etc
They're far less common.

Woolworths also don't have them, neither do Coles. Some stores try dressing up marked down/about to be chucked out food in the lunch room as one, but it isn't.

Know friends who work in offices of 20-30 people and got nothing last year, just a thanks and 'few beers in the fridge for our last shift, feel free to knock off lunch time' type deal. Other mates in bars and stuff sometimes get a nice bottle of something but more often than not it's a pretty shitty gift. Had a friend who laboured over the period but had been there for six months and was told the company (lots of branches but in general I guess it probably employed a hundred people) isn't interested anymore as it's not expected. Know parents' friends and stuff who have jobs in offices where they aren't allowed to bring partners, ones who do things like a barbecue at a boss's house where it's all BYO... they seem more popular.

I'm just pissed off my company doesn't have one but in general they seem to be becoming a lot less expected and more of a treat.

False.

Sent from mTalk
How long did you work at one?

Why did people I know at a Coles in WA never get one, and their region didn't? Or a Woolies in Melbourne and that whole region didn't?

How long did you work at one?

Why did people I know at a Coles in WA never get one, and their region didn't? Or a Woolies in Melbourne and that whole region didn't?

Been on and off for ten years.

Beats me, but woolies have an employee run social club that takes $1 each pay and a party can be claimed and paid for by this on top of company funding.

The concept of an entire region not having it is baffling, but it definitely isn't against rules. It doesn't compute. I wouldn't rule out talking s**t.

Sent from mTalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back