Current Trial Wonnangatta - Murders of Russell Hill & Carol Clay *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Disappearance of Barwon Prison Boss David Prideaux - High Country Mount Stirling
Hit and Run Death of Bryce Airs - High Country Jamieson

Israel Keyes

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
no idea but it was recounted by one of the witnesses earlier in the week and also by GL, so two independent accounts makes it appear to be a story RH obviously told. Whether it was true or it was something he said because he just disliked hunters...shrug
If hill didn't like hunters,he would have definitely said something too lynn
I've said on hear before,my uncle worked with hill in the logging industry,he said hill was a no it all, very narcissistic personality.

no idea but it was recounted by one of the witnesses earlier in the week and also by GL, so two independent accounts makes it appear to be a story RH obviously told. Whether it was true or it was something he said because he just disliked hunters...shrug
I've said on hear before,my uncle worked with hill in the logging industry,he said hill was a no it all, very narcissistic personality

How is anything but a brief recap of the affair relevant? Include in a statement of agreed facts.
AFAIK it's not in dispute. They were having an affair went camping together.

It's probably too try and damage Hill's reputation and make him look like he was a bad person who was capable of approaching Lynn (a married family man) holding a knife.

Last edited:

I've said on hear before,my uncle worked with hill in the logging industry,he said hill was a no it all, very narcissistic personality
IMO murdering someone and the witness, because you didn't like what they had to say and their very presence restricted you and your desires is not acceptable.
Whether the victim was a bit difficult to deal with, had strong opinions or you just didn't like them, they have the right to live.
We do not live here in Australia where you get murdered for saying something.
Whether you dislike what is being said or you dislike the person saying it you do not have the right to kill them.
Any reasonable human being understands that basic fact is part of living in a democracy, which Australia is.

IMO murdering someone and the witness, because you didn't like what they had to say and their very presence restricted you and your desires is not acceptable.
Whether the victim was a bit difficult to deal with, had strong opinions or you just didn't like them, they have the right to live.
We do not live here in Australia where you get murdered for saying something.
Whether you dislike what is being said or you dislike the person saying it you do not have the right to kill them.
Any reasonable human being understands that basic fact is part of living in a democracy, which Australia is.
Yeah totally agree with what you're saying,I'm saying what my uncle told me *****

So Lynn is going to the stand and will testify in his own defense. That will be interesting. He will say Hill caused the confrontation and their deaths Hill/Self Defense and Clay's accidental. The jury has to believe Hill would approach Lynn's car and take his loaded gun. The jury has to believe the gun was already loaded. Then the jury has to believe Clay's shooting was accidental even though she was crouching down, why was she crouching down? This will be a big moment in the case and I hope the prosecution hammer Lynn with so many unlikely scenarios in his story conveniently wrapped together otherwise Lynn has structured a motive for Hill to be responsible for this, not him and an avenue to a not guilty of murder scenario.

Lynn comes back from Hunting and notices a drone flying around him so he goes and talks to Hill who tells him where to go?
-Unlikely as Hill would have respected his privacy. Whatever footage the drone captured, it certainly meant Lynn would be in serious trouble if it were taken to the authorities. Lynn got rid of the drone for this reason otherwise he would have kept it for his own defence.

Lynn then goes back and blasts the music to annoy Hill so Hill comes over and walks off with Lynn’s gun and ammunition.
-Unlikely as you would not have your weapon and ammunition available for anyone to walk by and pick it up. Where was Lynn when this happened? Didn’t he just come back from hunting all day? Why wasn’t he at his own campsite?

Lynn goes to retrieve his gun and sees Hill loading the weapon who then fired a round into the sky.
-Unlikely as Hill hated guns and hunting. Why would he take the gun when he could easily take footage and report Lynn from his car registration?

They had a struggle and Clay got shot through the passenger mirror.
- Unlikely. If the passenger mirror was shot then where are the glass metal and plastic fragments? They would be all over the ground. How come the mirror was removed? Was it because Lynn accidentally touched the mirror while searching their car for their wallets?
Clay’s skull fragments and blood were found under the canopy. Given she was shot in the side of the head she was most likely killed point blank whilst crouching down or on her knees.

Hill lets go of the gun and checks on Clay realising she’s dead.
- Unlikely. If Clay was shot that close I’m sure Hill would have realised she was dead instantly. There’s no way he would have let go of the gun.

Lynn walks off back to his campsite.
- Unlikely. Clay has just had her head blown off and Lynn walks off like he’s taking a stroll in the park?

Hill goes and gets a knife and comes back to Lynn and has a second fight with someone who has a loaded shotgun, falls and kill’s himself.
- Absolutely unlikely. Why wouldn’t Hill radio for backup? Who on earth would bring a knife to a gun fight? He would have been shot dead.
If there was a knife fight how come Lynn has no cuts on his hands or body? Most knife attack victims have cuts on their hands in self defence. Lynn had none.
Where was the blood on the ground from Hill’s stab wound?

Lynn burns Hill and Clay’s camp site.
- Why did Lynn burn Hill’s campsite? Was it to burn the evidence of the actual place where Hill was shot or stabbed to get rid of any blood/bone? The fire as seen by images has also gone towards the canopy which leads me to believe that Lynn has doused and burnt the true areas of where the murders took place.

Lynn takes the bodies and burns them far away from the camp site.
- Lynn destroys evidence of pathology and potential autopsy.

Lynn disposes of Russel’s knife and drone.
- Lynn destroys evidence. We still do not know if Hill was shot or stabbed. It could be either. As for the drone it would have had key evidence of what Lynn was upto that day leading to the incident. It is nowhere to be found.

Lynn sells his trailer and repaints his car.
-Lynn destroys evidence again. Covering his tracks he goes back to check on the bodies to make sure they are well disposed of.

Lynn’s story does not hold water.

IMO
Another thing that I find particularly hard to believe about Lynn's account is that while Lynn and Hill were wrestling with the gun Clay stood nearby and shouted 'stop it Russell'.
If I saw 2 grown men wrestling with a gun I would not be standing nearby trying to convince them of anything, I would be leggin' it out of there or trying to find some kind of cover.

If Lynn takes the stand, I think that greatly increases the likelihood of a hung jury or not guilty.

IMO I don't accept that "Russell sees gun and takes it as he walks back to camp." is true.
In applying the logic that some of what is said by the defense/GL is factual and some isn't, the stated 'story' that RH even touched the gun, saw it or took it is not at all proven fact or necessarily true.
Perhaps Lynn shot at the drone without warning and then Hill approached him angrily, but trying to grab the gun from a much younger, fitter and possibly unhinged man? I can’t answer for other people but I wouldn’t be grabbing some stranger’s gun, I would be backing away very cautiously and considering packing up and leaving. This could potentially be a very dangerous situation that doesn’t need further inflaming.

All we've got is GL's version - all the other witnesses are dead. According to GL, Hill pulled the trigger of GL's gun and killed Clay (sounds like by a ricochet off the drone, then off the mirror before hitting her in the head) and then killed himself by falling on his own knife.
I think it's best to have a judge decide the outcome, so there's no jury member misconduct and mistrial and the judges decision needs to be written down because there's sure to be appeals.
Presumption of innocence is fine but I reckon double the sentence when a guilty someone pleads not guilty trying to pull the wool over the court's eyes with an outlandish defence that's bizarre to say the least.

He won’t take the stand imo and if he does he is gone, the prosecution will tear him a new one, I can’t see how any reasonable person could possibly find him not guilty.
I'm just going from what Terrafirma claimed in the post a couple prior to mine. It was claimed Lynn will take the stand. Not sure the source of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just going from what Terrafirma claimed in the post a couple prior to mine. It was claimed Lynn will take the stand. Not sure the source of that.
I think Terra Firma either meant it ironically or as a theoretical. It isn't fact at all and the Defense most probably will not as it doesn't and won't help them in furthering their case but opens up the opportunity for the Prosecution to cross examine.

Found reference to a shooting accident involving someone with the same surname, it has been discussed on another forum has confirmed the man referenced in the article was Russel’s cousin. Very sad
That is an incredibly tragic story and no doubt would be remembered in that family and all others as a perpetual horror.
My over 90 year old Dad, has a tale of friends of the family and friends of his in the late 1930's , two brothers, who found their Dad's rifle and were playing with it when one shot the other dead.

Last edited:
Yeah totally agree with what you're saying,I'm saying what my uncle told me ***
I have no doubt there was an element of bucks tangling antlers here... But while being an allegedly sh×t bloke might speak to his potentially explosive interactions with GL, doesn't mean he deserved to die. And... We need to remember his grieving family are able to read these comments.

GLs story seems to account for the noise of a firearm discharging at least a couple of times. Weirdly, from the witnesses so far no mention of them...
The only thing I remember reading was a camper heard noises from a distance but didn't think anything of it. Also remember witnesses hearing Lynn's 4WD leaving at around midnight getting stuck at a locked gate and having to do a 4 point turn. Is it possible those witnesses/campers also heard gunshots but this hasn't been released yet? You would think if they could hear a car they could hear gunshots notwithstanding I'm not sure where the locked gate was.

If Lynn takes the stand, I think that greatly increases the likelihood of a hung jury or not guilty.
Why? Could go either way for him. Prosecution could easily make him slip up or reply with I don't know or I don't remember. Those sorts of answers wouldn't go down well given he seems to know everything that happened and remembered the whole incident. If the prosecution fails to make him look guilty yes it could work in his favor. Huge risk for him but he's chasing a not guilty verdict (Murder) all or nothing

I have no doubt there was an element of bucks tangling antlers here... But while being an allegedly sh×t bloke might speak to his potentially explosive interactions with GL, doesn't mean he deserved to die. And... We need to remember his grieving family are able to read these comments.
Yeah 100% Hill not backing down or being aggressive towards Lynn is highly probable. Also highly probable is the fact Hill knows Lynn has guns especially if the version of not liking hunting is true and so surely Hill has to be careful of pushing a guy to the limit. I also think it's obvious Lynn would have hated feeling bullied into retreating back to his car a lost man. Off course it's also possible Lynn wasn't hunting at the time and simply wanted the drone to go away so shot it down (testimony suggests Lynn is trying to justify multiple gunshots with the belief campers heard these). The hunting story is a great one if you trying to justify Hill was the provoker.

Two questions.

1. Did police inform Lynn about item 55 before Lynn gave his story?

Presumably they're obliged to give someone information about the evidence against them before charging them? Or they might do so in the course of interviewing them before charging them?

If yes, it increases the probability that Lynn's story is contrived.

2. Do police have any knowledge whatsoever about how many bullets were fired overall?

Why I'm asking these questions- firstly, is it possible Lynn is aware the police have no evidence connecting Hill to any bullets, so Lynn entirely made up the part about stabbing Hill in a grapple (when in fact he shot both of them)?

On the other hand I'm trying to figure out why Lynn would make up details that do seem outlandish- like Hill taking the gun, loading the gun and firing it into the air. If there's other possible scenarios which aren't as outlandish but equally make Lynn not guilty, why would Lynn make up the outlandish details?

Why? Could go either way for him. Prosecution could easily make him slip up or reply with I don't know or I don't remember.
The defense wouldn't recommend it unless they thought Lynn was articulate, intelligent and calm enough to handle it.

They would prepare him throughly by role-playing various questions the prosecution might put to him.

You would think if the defense thought there was a reasonable chance of a gotcha moment by the prosecution, they wouldn't let him take the stand.

On the other hand I'm trying to figure out why Lynn would make up details that do seem outlandish- like Hill taking the gun, loading the gun and firing it into the air. If there's other possible scenarios which aren't as outlandish but equally make Lynn not guilty, why would Lynn make up the outlandish details?

Lynn's covering himself if a witness or witnesses appear with testimony of hearing three shots.

I'm thinking there was three shots.

IF Lynn shot the drone out of the sky, as an aviation related offence,

Lynn's covering himself if a witness or witnesses appear with testimony of hearing three shots.

I'm thinking there was three shots.
Remind me what was the alleged third shot in Lynn's story?

1. Hill firing into the air

2. Accidental shot that hit the mirror and got Clay?

Remind me what was the alleged third shot in Lynn's story?

1. Hill firing into the air

2. Accidental shot that hit the mirror and got Clay?

3. After Carol was shot and Lynn had his gun back, he emptied the chamber by discharging the remaining bullet/s in to the air

According to Captain Do-Right

Back