Current Trial Wonnangatta - Murders of Russell Hill & Carol Clay *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Disappearance of Barwon Prison Boss David Prideaux - High Country Mount Stirling
Hit and Run Death of Bryce Airs - High Country Jamieson

Israel Keyes

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
They might have one in the remote too for config and stuff, but no way is the drone transmitting HD images back to it for storage.

There’s a sd card slot on the drone itself:

Thanks, that makes sense. I stand corrected. Just goes to show that someone unfamiliar with drones would want to remove both in case of footage being on it.

Thanks, that makes sense. I stand corrected. Just goes to show that someone unfamiliar with drones would want to remove both in case of footage being on it.

In a rush of panic - I don’t buy the ‘he’s a pilot they never panic narrative’ - you’d just destroy the entire thing. No guarantee you know where the SD card slot is, and it’s dark, and you’ve just killed two people.

If they didn’t arrive at the camp until latish in the day, then had to set up the site and make the radio call, there wouldn’t have been much time before dusk to fly a drone. They’re making it sound as if it was flying for hours.

Aren't we thinking they got there the day before now? That they were killed on the second night?

It doesn't sound like the defence is contesting any of what the prosecution allege happened after the deaths of RH/CC. If his team's opening is anything to go by, that's not even in question. It does speak to his ability to plan and stay calm following events that would trigger most people's flight, fight or freeze response.

It’s another stumbling block for me.

Even if I thought his story of two accidental deaths was possible, what he did next, is not consistent with that.

If he’d left the bodies there and tried to burn the bodies and the tent, maybe. If he’d dumped the bodies and taken off, maybe.

But he was methodical and thorough. Doesn’t fit with accidental deaths for me.

Yeah remove SD card and dispose of that is best method, destroying the drone may not destroy the SD card. Given the drone wasn't found Lynn got it somehow and took care of that.

I've just come across this article from earlier this week written by one of the journos from the podcast. It contains quite a few details that I don't recall having read/been reported before.

Dann said that when Lynn, 57, first met Hill and Clay at a campsite in the Wonnangatta Valley in the state’s alpine region, they exchanged pleasantries. But the next day, on March 20, 2020, Lynn went hunting, and when he returned to Bucks Camp, he became aware of a drone flying above him.
This seems to clear up that RH/CC were in the valley on the Thursday. There are definitely other reports that say they stayed the Thursday night up on the high plains.

“Mr Lynn started to follow Mr Hill ... could see him trying to load the magazine....“Mr Hill said he was going to take the gun to the police as well.” Dann said Lynn then went towards Hill to get his gun back, when Hill fired the gun into the air, leaving Lynn “scared shitless”.
"Trying to load" is an interesting point here...seems to me that someone not familiar with guns who was just trying to load a gun would struggle to successfully get 3 rounds loaded before GL could cross the distance to retrieve the gun. Not to mention if you were going to take the gun to the police, would you be loading it first and shooting it into the air?

But as the struggle allegedly continued, Dann said, a shot went through the mirror of Hill’s car and then allegedly struck Clay in the head. (and later in the piece)...On February 11, 2022, the canopy of Hill’s vehicle was examined. Porceddu said the examining expert found blood splatter stains and fatty deposits under an area of the canopy. The prosecution alleges DNA analysis supports the proposition that the sample belonged to Clay.
Under the canopy... which would indicate she was crouched down pretty low... much lower than the mirror. Edit: Unless they are referring to under the lift up door.

“It’s the defence case Mr Hill let go of the gun, Mr Hill went over to see where Mrs Clay was.” Dann said Lynn got his gun back and returned to the car before Hill came towards him with a knife, “screaming at him, ‘She’s dead.’ “Then a struggle occurred over the knife. “The two men fall to the ground and the knife goes through the chest of Mr Hill.”
Lynn got his gun back after RH had already let go of it to go to CC?? In this scenario RH is clearly aware that CC has been hit, and GL just casually goes back to his car? If one were to take his story on face value, strike one for failing to assist.

On April 1, the prosecution said, Lynn put the trailer and other items up for sale on Gumtree, and the ad was removed two days later. The trailer has never been found.
Not even 2 weeks later - some April Fools joke.

The jury was told that in March 2022, police re-examined the Bucks Camp site and discovered metal and bone fragments, including an unburnt skull fragment allegedly belonging to Clay. It’s the prosecution case that the metal projectile fragment likely came from a 12-gauge shotgun and contained Clay’s DNA. Further fragments of human skull bones, believed to have belonged to Clay, were also later collected from the scene.
Multiple fragments of skull found but no mention of exactly where/how far from camp

They found burnt remains while focusing on an area at the base of a fallen tree, the prosecutor said. The remains had included a burnt human tibia, or leg bone, and a toe bone. The jury was told further remains found nearby included more than 2100 pieces of burnt and highly fragmented bones.
2100 pieces! I don't even know where to start...

That’s fair enough too. I was just trying to remember anything that happened locally, and thought of that poor young man. My heart goes out to anyone that loses someone in such a tragic way.
Found reference to a shooting accident involving someone with the same surname, it has been discussed on another forum has confirmed the man referenced in the article was Russel’s cousin. Very sad

I've just come across this article from earlier this week written by one of the journos from the podcast. It contains quite a few details that I don't recall having read/been reported before.

Dann said that when Lynn, 57, first met Hill and Clay at a campsite in the Wonnangatta Valley in the state’s alpine region, they exchanged pleasantries. But the next day, on March 20, 2020, Lynn went hunting, and when he returned to Bucks Camp, he became aware of a drone flying above him.
This seems to clear up that RH/CC were in the valley on the Thursday. There are definitely other reports that say they stayed the Thursday night up on the high plains.

“Mr Lynn started to follow Mr Hill ... could see him trying to load the magazine....“Mr Hill said he was going to take the gun to the police as well.” Dann said Lynn then went towards Hill to get his gun back, when Hill fired the gun into the air, leaving Lynn “scared shitless”.
"Trying to load" is an interesting point here...seems to me that someone not familiar with guns who was just trying to load a gun would struggle to successfully get 3 rounds loaded before GL could cross the distance to retrieve the gun. Not to mention if you were going to take the gun to the police, would you be loading it first and shooting it into the air?

But as the struggle allegedly continued, Dann said, a shot went through the mirror of Hill’s car and then allegedly struck Clay in the head. (and later in the piece)...On February 11, 2022, the canopy of Hill’s vehicle was examined. Porceddu said the examining expert found blood splatter stains and fatty deposits under an area of the canopy. The prosecution alleges DNA analysis supports the proposition that the sample belonged to Clay.
Under the canopy... which would indicate she was crouched down pretty low... much lower than the mirror. Edit: Unless they are referring to under the lift up door.

“It’s the defence case Mr Hill let go of the gun, Mr Hill went over to see where Mrs Clay was.” Dann said Lynn got his gun back and returned to the car before Hill came towards him with a knife, “screaming at him, ‘She’s dead.’ “Then a struggle occurred over the knife. “The two men fall to the ground and the knife goes through the chest of Mr Hill.”
Lynn got his gun back after RH had already let go of it to go to CC?? In this scenario RH is clearly aware that CC has been hit, and GL just casually goes back to his car? If one were to take his story on face value, strike one for failing to assist.

On April 1, the prosecution said, Lynn put the trailer and other items up for sale on Gumtree, and the ad was removed two days later. The trailer has never been found.

The jury was told that in March 2022, police re-examined the Bucks Camp site and discovered metal and bone fragments, including an unburnt skull fragment allegedly belonging to Clay. It’s the prosecution case that the metal projectile fragment likely came from a 12-gauge shotgun and contained Clay’s DNA. Further fragments of human skull bones, believed to have belonged to Clay, were also later collected from the scene.
Multiple fragments of skull found but no mention of exactly where/how far from camp

They found burnt remains while focusing on an area at the base of a fallen tree, the prosecutor said. The remains had included a burnt human tibia, or leg bone, and a toe bone. The jury was told further remains found nearby included more than 2100 pieces of burnt and highly fragmented bones.
you should work for the prosecution, this is exactly what they are going to do, use every word and every action against him.

Aren't we thinking they got there the day before now? That they were killed on the second night?
So many unconfirmed details like this. Pity they can’t retrace the journey or get a confirmation of the radio call from the friend, when it took place and what was said.

Good work, bad dog

Quote "
. The prosecution alleges DNA analysis supports the proposition that the sample belonged to Clay.
Under the canopy... which would indicate she was crouched down pretty low... much lower than the mirror. Edit: Unless they are referring to under the lift up door."

Only one reason Clay would be crouched low.! To avoid being shot. You don't crouch low unless you want to reduce yourself as a target. It's the Clay killing we always comeback to.!

I think there’s no doubt Hill had a relative die in a hunting accident. He mentioned it to a few people.

Even Lynn states this so they obviously had a conversation about it and Hill wasn’t happy with Lynn’s hunting, gun use.

That’s why Hill reaching into someone’s car to remove a gun seems crazy to me.

Even if that part is true, there’s no way Hill is waving the gun in the air with his finger on the trigger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were in the area but not at that campsite is the logic to me. Didn't Russelll say to radio mates that they hadn't finished setting up yet. Which means they had arrived a short enough time before not to have set up their camp entirely.

I think Lynn was the unhinged one. He was already stressed about losing his job in the pandemic and then some grumpy guy with a drone threatens to tell the police about his illegal hunting activities.

Lynn is furious, stewing on it, turns his music up loud.

Hill - not one to back down from an argument - is angry at Lynn’s music and comes over to Lynn’s campsite to have another go at him.

A fist fight ensues but Lynn full of rage repeatedly stabs Hill to death.

Lynn knows Carol is a witness and decides to kill her too, and it’s Lynn that gets the gun out of his car and goes over to the Hill-Clay campsite.

Carol sees him approaching with his gun, Lynn shoots and misses, Carol runs, taking cover behind their car. Lynn shoots again hitting the side mirror before locating a cowering Carol and shoots her in the head at point blank range.

My opinion only. Speculation etc.

They were in the area but not at that campsite is the logic to me. Didn't Russelll say to radio mates that they hadn't finished setting up yet. Which means they had arrived a short enough time before not to have set up their camp entirely.
According to the article I posted a bit earlier, even GL said they were there the night before. I thought one of the radio guys said that RH hadn't finished setting up camp too, but there was no question of that today. It seems to be accepted that they were there and crossed paths with GL on the Thursday night - doesn't make any sense for them to have moved camp. One thing that did come out today was that RH was not on the radio call of the Thursday night. Perhaps he told them on the Friday night that he hadn't finished setting up camp on Thursday in time to jump on the radio? The radio aerial apparently takes some time to set up.

"2100 pieces! I don't even know where to start..."

That paints a picture doesn't it...

Lynn went back twice to the bodies over an eight month period to break them down. He was so dedicated I have no doubt he would have gone back again.

It feels like pretending that he refused to go back there with the police - because it was just too awful for him.

According to the article I posted a bit earlier, even GL said they were there the night before. I thought one of the radio guys said that RH hadn't finished setting up camp too, but there was no question of that today. It seems to be accepted that they were there and crossed paths with GL on the Thursday night - doesn't make any sense for them to have moved camp. One thing that did come out today was that RH was not on the radio call of the Thursday night. Perhaps he told them on the Friday night that he hadn't finished setting up camp on Thursday in time to jump on the radio? The radio aerial apparently takes some time to set up.
Thank you yes, I wrote that before reading what you had posted and ging on what I had previously thought.
I find it interesting that then they had 'pleasant' interaction the day prior, IMO this reinforces the 'anger trigger' over the drone as being more likely than anything else.

Also to comment on your post before quoted in part below:

Not only does this signify the fail to assist, it is IMO the key of explanation of the defense, to explain away as to why as the prosecution case says RH was killed first and there being one of the 'two' sites of the murders.
I have already said to a/remember that it must have been dark by the time of the murders. b/ the impossibilities of imagining relinquishing a gun in the 'fight'

IMO the bolded above is the defense's explanation but I believe it is more than likely explained by RH goes to GL's camp to remonstrate with him after the drone is shot out of the sky, that the music was turned up to disguise the drone shot in the first place, GL murders RH there (possibly silently with a knife or by shooting) and then goes to find the only possible witness and dispatches them forwith. Then the clean up begins.
There was no returning back to the car. It all started there.
There was no tussle over the gun.
It was systematically and cold blooded once Rh was dead.
Was it a case of GL knowing that RH would go to GL's camp once the drone was destroyed and in fact prepared for 'a fight' or indeed a despatch? That is even more chilling to think of.

Lynn went back twice to the bodies over an eight month period to break them down. He was so dedicated I have no doubt he would have gone back again.

It feels like pretending that he refused to go back there with the police - because it was just too awful for him.
Yes, the gratuous comment that 'he vomitted while doing it' flagged the set up of 'poor sensitive fellow'. Oh really.

Russell backing out of the mutual divorce pact after Carol left her husband is like something out of Seinfeld. Can’t believe she just kept camping with him for another decade or two.
You never know what goes on in people's relationships, only the ones having them do.
I don't believe we should judge any morality here without knowing all the facts...of which we will never know.
Whatever decisions C made were hers to make for reasons she saw fit.

Just on the drone, The Missing Campers podcast has Russell engaging politely with campers at other times and asking if they minded if he sent his drone up.

In Badd0g's information below, Lynn was away from his camp when Russell sent the drone up so Lynn wasn't there for Russell to ask first.

But the next day, on March 20, 2020, Lynn went hunting, and when he returned to Bucks Camp, he became aware of a drone flying above him.

I'm not sure Russell was deliberately trying to annoy him.

You never know what goes on in people's relationships, only the ones having them do.
I don't believe we should judge any morality here without knowing all the facts...of which we will never know.
Whatever decisions C made were hers to make for reasons she saw fit.

Lynn was a pilot, I wonder if he had any affairs.

Back