Woman CEO?

Remove this Banner Ad

Port looking at appointing a woman CEO was I suspect just a bit of a fishing expedition mentioned in the sport gossip section of today's Sunday Mail, but certainly worth some thought. Any names come readily to mind?

The best person for the job is what we should be looking for. It doesn't really matter (IMO) if that's a he or she.

My only concern would be given that Choco seems to need someone in that role that can pull him back into line, then how would Choco go taking direction from a female? Unless of course, she has already played AFL or has completed her level II or III cert in coaching :p

I spoke to Hitaf last AGM about nominating for the board and how we should really have a female voice on the board and she said she would love to do it one day, once she was no longer working for the club. Guess that time has now come.

But having a female CEO, I don't have a problem with it, just get the best person for the job, no matter if it is male or female.

Sandola and Portentous have been short listed. I heard gbear had a hissy fit when she didn't even get an interview.

Karren Brady is one of the better known woman top flight executives at a national football club, appointed Managing Director of Birmingham City in 1993 at the ripe old age of 23.

Karren Brady is one of the better known woman top flight executives at a national football club, appointed Managing Director of Birmingham City in 1993 at the ripe old age of 23.
Yeah, know the story, she was stunner back then, not sure what she looks like now. (not that looks make a difference) ;)

Opals coach Jan Stirling springs to mind. She finishes that gig after the Olympics and has a proven record of success both with the national team and the Adelaide Lightning.

I've no idea whether she would be interested but she has lots of sporting contacts round the world and in Australia. Is highly respected and her people skills would be of a high order. What her business acumen is like I have no idea but she has lent herself to charitable causes so may well have an understanding of how to find money.

Sandola and Portentous have been short listed. I heard gbear had a hissy fit when she didn't even get an interview.

Anyone of those three in charge would definately see a rise in memberships :thumbsu:

Three fine young up-standing members of the fairer sex & who knows how many new members might take the plunge :)

I reckon a Woman would be great in that position.
She wouldn't stand for the "youv'e never played the game so what would you know?"attitude from many of the blokes or be scared of the Coach in any way shape or form.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The woman CEO story sounds like idle speculation by the Sunday Mail. Has the club advertised for the job yet? I don't think so. Look at how John James was appointed. Nobody new who the hell he was, ie the media and us Port supporters. Expect the same thing to happen this time seeing as the club doesn't expect anyone to start before October 1, which means that they wont be appointed much before September 1.

Gail Kelly, CEO at Westpac shows that a capable woman can take charge in a very blokey environment. I think it would be a pretty tough gig for a woman without a sports management background to become CEO. JJ didn't have a sports management background but he went through the whole "what would this bloke, know he's never played the game," issues and it would be even tougher for a woman to go thru that especially if she doesn't have a sports background. What women are at the top of different sports organisations or clubs in Oz? Jill Lindsay, Ground Operations Manager at the AFL is the only one that comes to mind from the bigger male sports.

Personally I would like to see us look at the Australian Olympic Committee staff and see if there are any good male or female candidates there that we could recruit. Fiona de Jong is their Director of Sport and I've heard some good things about her. She's been there for almost 4 years and has been in the news a bit lately due to Nick D'Arcy affair, the Aussie ex Kazak pentahlete who won the 96 gold medal who was stopped from going to the Olmpics due to the Great British team appeal and other stuff in the lead up to the Olympics.

But we probably have buckley's chance of getting good people out of them. They would have to give up the games experience and move away from Sydney. A lot of good sports management people who worked for SOCOG have gone to IOC headquarters in Lausanne, worked/working for various OCOG's and well as the different international sports federations. There might be some potential candidates there, especially if they have an SA background and want to return home.

I would like to one day see one or two capable women get onto our board. Lets face it, around 1/2 our members and supporters are women so if we find some capable women then they would bring some different perspectives to the board. Hitaf probably would be a good candidate in 3 to 5 years. Let the person who takes over from her, time to establish themselves in their role and not feel that she is still looking over their shoulder. Also a few years away from the club she gains experience and contacts in another field.

The position was actually in the Tiser on Saturday, page 3 I think.

I have just been made aware of an ex Adelaide boy who may be considering the move back to Adelaide after 15 or so years in Melbourne and in that time was CEO of 2 of the biggest international sporting events Melbourne hosts or has hosted. Would have to take a massive pay cut though.

Melbourne Cup, AFL GF, Australian Tennis Open, Grand Prix F1, and the Motorcycling, Commonwealth Games would be the biggest 6, throw in the Golf and I reckon I would have covered just about everything that fits into "2 of the biggest international sporting events Melbourne hosts or has hosted" . Have I missed anything?

Just as an indication of what it takes to get a CEO of the quality of Gail Kelly ...

When Kelly slipped into the role as Westpac chief executive on February 1 this year, taking over from David Morgan, it made her the only woman CEO in a top 20 Australian company.

Few would have envisaged the media attention she was to command over the past week as she unveiled plans to create the largest financial powerhouse in the country.

Westpac gave her a $7 million sign-on fee and a potential salary of $11.8 million a year in shares and cash.

She also has 1.16 million St George shares that are worth almost $40 million.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23710852-3122,00.html

That's why I used her as an example. Firstly to head up one of the four big banks you get paid well, but to prize her away from the no.5 bank, where she had done a great job was always going to cost Westpac a tidy sum. The fact she is a women and all the extra publicity, goodwill etc that attracts with employing a female CEO probably played a small part in Westpac's decision. What is does for Westpac is show that they are prepared to employ the best person available and some high flying females in banking might be inclined to go for jobs at Westpac than somewhere else.

Just checked and saw that the position was advertised in the Weekend Australian on page 3 as well. Completely missed it. After the dot points of responsibilities it states, "applications are invited from experienced managers with excellent administrative, financial, business development and marketing skills and a strong understanding of Australian Rules Football."

Suggests to me that a woman candidate would have to be pretty outstanding if she doesn't already work in the footy industry.

Melbourne Cup, AFL GF, Australian Tennis Open, Grand Prix F1, and the Motorcycling, Commonwealth Games would be the biggest 6, throw in the Golf and I reckon I would have covered just about everything that fits into "2 of the biggest international sporting events Melbourne hosts or has hosted" . Have I missed anything?

No, you seem to have them fairly well covered

No, you seem to have them fairly well covered

Gotta be John Harnden who was CEO of the Comm Games and the F1 Grand Prix. A mate knows him from his Kinhill days. I remember him telling me a little about him when he became CEO of the Grand Prix corp.

A search shows he was appointed was appointed CEO Village Roadshow's International Theme Parks in August 2006 but commenced in January 2007. Does that me he lives in Qld or Melbourne as they own all those theme parks in Qld? Is he a Port boy or just a South Aussie who wants to move back home? A big pay cut indeed would be required. But JJ did it so who knows if he is a very passionate Port supporter. Next time I talk to my friend I might ask him if he can remember his footy allegiances.

Gotta be John Harnden who was CEO of the Comm Games and the F1 Grand Prix. A mate knows him from his Kinhill days. I remember him telling me a little about him when he became CEO of the Grand Prix corp.

A search shows he was appointed was appointed CEO Village Roadshow's International Theme Parks in August 2006 but commenced in January 2007. Does that me he lives in Qld or Melbourne as they own all those theme parks in Qld? Is he a Port boy or just a South Aussie who wants to move back home? A big pay cut indeed would be required. But JJ did it so who knows if he is a very passionate Port supporter. Next time I talk to my friend I might ask him if he can remember his footy allegiances.

I would imagine that we pay below the market for this type of position due to our tenuous financial position.

It would be in our best long term interests to pay to a higher level to attract a quality list of applicants, particularly Port supporters, ex-CEOs from mainstream commercial organisations - an ex-player would be an absolute bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back