Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody? - Part 2 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Potatoes have no gender. And soon, nearly 70 years (sic), the name of Hasbro’s popular spud-shaped toy will reflect that: No more Mr. Potato Head. It’s just Potato Head.​
On Thursday, the company announced it would be rebranding the iconic quick-change toy to break away from traditional ideas about gender roles and family structures - celebrating the wedding and subsequent anniversaries of “Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head,” selling boxed sets of the couple and their offspring, “Spud” and “Yam.”​
The “sweet spot” for the Potato Head toy is about two or three years old​

Midwives have been told to stop using terms including "breastfeeding" and “breastmilk” as part of a new trans-friendly policy at an NHS trust.​
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals (BSUH) NHS Trust is the first in the country to formally implement a gender inclusive language policy for its maternity services department — which will now be known as "perinatal services".​
Staff have been told to avoid using the word “mothers” on its own and have been given a list of alternative terms to use when addressing patients including "mothers or birthing parents", "breast/chestfeeding" and "maternal and parental".​
Instead of saying "breastmilk", they can choose from "human milk" or "breast/chestmilk" or "milk from the feeding mother or parent".​
The guidance from BHSU follows a 2017 dictate from the British Medical Association which said pregnant women should not be called "expectant mothers" but "pregnant people" as it could offend intersex and transgender men.​

Not just,

It is also an observation of the ridiculous, if one observes some nuffy throwing a can of soup at a painting it labels it 'woke' then that is likely an observation of impractical / irrational / stupid / emotional. Expect such acts to be mentioned and labeled.

Those who use 'woke' as a pejorative because they 'dislike' are usually old man cloud yellers with right leaning views. Yet if someone uses woke as an observation they're immediately lumped as old man cloud yeller. When they're probably just Jan and Joe public making an observation.
The throwing of the can isn't woke. That could be right wing nut job behaviour. The reason for throwing it is what makes it woke or not.

Woke/RWNJ are derogatory terms used to describe left/right wing social views - some only use them for what they view as extremes of the opposite political persuasion, others use the terms to describe everything on the other side of social politics. And when that is done discussion is a waste of time as the start point is ridicule and dismissal of views.

When Jan and Joe public have bought into widespread use of the term, they've bought into automatic ridicule and dismissal and are heading towards RWNJ territory - same if someone starts throwing around the RWNJ label really readily.

Last edited:

The throwing of the can isn't woke. That could be right wing nut job behaviour. The reason for throwing it is what makes it woke or not.

Woke/RWNJ are derogatory terms used to describe left/right wing social views - some only use them for what they view as extremes of the opposite political persuasion, others use the terms to describe everything on the other side of social politics. And when that is done discussion is a waste of time as the start point is ridicule and dismissal of views.

When Jan and Joe public have bought into widespread use of the term, they've bought into automatic ridicule and dismissal and are heading towards RWNJ territory - same if someone starts throwing around the RWNJ label really readily.
For the most part it's fair argument that Jan and Joe public don't use 'woke' as a pejorative, merely an observation of the irrational, those that do use it as a pejorative are those with fringe right views.

Same with rwnj, those that use that are usually the emotionally irrational.

Whichever way it is used the term is incorrect to define the irrational.

Woke culture destroying Australians access to mountains now. How many more Mt Warning style closures will we see?
Last time I went up there it was a traffic jam of *en tourists hanging off that chain at the top. *ing terrorists.

But if you actually knew that mountain you'd know how ****ed the tracks are after four years of stupid levels of rain.

Nah, it was previously so rigid that it was meningless for many.

I must say your attitude to to the word woke is a leftie woke attitude. You're embracing change.
Fair nuff.

Define 'woman'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nassim Taleb once said virtue signaling was "courage without sacrifice, which is why it is so popular".

That sums up woke once and for all.

That will do me.
There should be a rule about quoting that fella if you don't understand most of what he goes on about.

Reality can be whatever you want.

It can in terms of self. I'm a Collingwood supporter. My parents barrack for Essendon, so it's not genetic. I chose it.

No idea why so many want to impose identification onto others. Although the idea amuses me of trying to convince a bunch of people who identify as Carlton supporters that they are actually Melbourne supporters.

Are you arguing that language isn't fluid? Even gender is fluid these days, so language being fluid isn't a stretch.
Language isn't fluid.

Fluid is an unstructured substance that changes its shape in response to external pressure.

Language isn't a substance but it is structured.

It can in terms of self. I'm a Collingwood supporter. My parents barrack for Essendon, so it's not genetic. I chose it.

No idea why so many want to impose identification onto others. Although the idea amuses me of trying to convince a bunch of people who identify as Carlton supporters that they are actually Melbourne supporters.
You made a VERY wise choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back