Analysis Wing Attendance Megathread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Continuing on from last season where I was mildly irritated that no one seems to record wing attendances in games, or at least do so in a way that's available to the average punter, I will be manually recording the wing attendances for the Lions again this season. Note that because I'm doing this by sight and bound by the sometimes terrible television direction, I make no promises as to the accuracy.

I've also decided to put all these into one thread rather than shoving them into the match review threads, particularly because of laziness and partly because I think it's useful to look at the changes over time.

Wow this was an annoying week to do, beyond having to subject myself to flicking through the replay with the sound off, as Robertson/Prior/Berry can look quite similar when standing on the far wing. Big props to Berry's shoulder strapping for making things easier.

I will say there was a weird period to finish off the second quarter where our bottom wing players were Gunston/Cameron/Tunstill/McCluggage in that order. Not sure what that was about.

Wing AttendanceRound 1Port AdelaideAdelaide Oval
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Robertson
4​
1​
1​
3​
3​
12​
20.00%​
Wilmot
2​
4​
5​
2​
6​
4​
23​
38.33%​
Berry
1​
3​
1​
5​
2​
2​
14​
23.33%​
Gunston
1​
1​
2​
3.33%​
Cameron
1​
1​
1.67%​
Tunstill
1​
1​
1.67%​
McCluggage
1​
1​
1.67%​
Prior
5​
5​
8.33%​
Ashcroft
1​
1​
1.67%​

Reckon we will see ZoBlitz today or is he still smashing lights out around Brisbane?
Should get onto it today. I look forward to the weird timelines on Kayo for the huge delay.

I am sure you will pick up Gunston on the wing in that last 12 minute period.
Noticed him twice sitting on corner of our defensive side.
Dropped back as extra defender in the last few minutes of that 12-minute period.

I don't envy you doing this on your vision only.
I appreciate you letting me know about that. Catching the defensive side wings is very luck based, have to hope that they get into play soon after the bounce otherwise no chance.

I appreciate you letting me know about that. Catching the defensive side wings is very luck based, have to hope that they get into play soon after the bounce otherwise no chance.

I'm just amazed you manage to track the wing while downing pints. It's quite the skill.

Ugh, our wingers really need to get different hairstyles as this week's fun was trying not to confuse Zorko and Wilmot. Ashcroft's hair gets best on ground for me this week for identification. I made some guesses about Gunston too based on scrolling through the footage and Section 5's comments.

Also this is the first time Hugh has played as a winger properly since he moved into the middle following the loss to Geelong early last year.

Wing AttendanceRound 2MelbourneGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
McCluggage
7​
1​
4​
2​
3​
17​
27.42%​
Ashcroft
1​
5​
1​
2​
3​
4​
16​
25.81%​
Bailey
2​
1​
1​
1​
1​
6​
9.68%​
Zorko
1​
2​
3​
1​
7​
11.29%​
Wilmot
2​
1​
2​
2​
1​
4​
12​
19.35%​
Gunston
1​
3​
4​
6.45%​

Also this is the first time Hugh has played as a winger properly since he moved into the middle following the loss to Geelong early last year.

A few changes from the coaching staff this week compared to last week. Of note (R1 to R2):
  • McCluggage
    • CBAs - 21 to 6​
    • Wing - 1 to 17​
  • Ashcroft
    • CBAs - 14 to 9​
    • Wing - 1 to 16​
  • Berry
    • CBAs - 0 to 22​
    • Wing - 14 to 0​
  • Wilmot
    • Wing - 23 to 12

As mentioned in the game thread, McCluggage moved outside with Berry moved inside. Wilmot moved further behind the ball, partly I assume to cover the loss of Coleman, with Ashcroft pushing onto the wing from spending more time forward last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loving this stuff. Well done ZoBlitz and JasRulz63.

Amazing how the wing role, has become exponentially more important in the last 5-10 years. I remember when I was positioned out on the wing for a few games back in the 00's, and just thought "ah well I'll just trot up and down this side of the ground a bit and see what happens."

Looking back now I literally had no idea and would have loved my time over again with all the focus on the position these days.

A few changes from the coaching staff this week compared to last week. Of note (R1 to R2):
  • McCluggage
    • CBAs - 21 to 6​
    • Wing - 1 to 17​
  • Ashcroft​
    • CBAs - 14 to 9​
    • Wing - 1 to 16​

• Berry​
    • CBAs - 0 to 22​
    • Wing - 14 to 0​

• Wilmot
    • Wing - 23 to 12

As mentioned in the game thread, McCluggage moved outside with Berry moved inside. Wilmot moved further behind the ball, partly I assume to cover the loss of Coleman, with Ashcroft pushing onto the wing from spending more time forward last week.
There have been some question marks expressed here on Bruce's quals. and ability to coach and develop our midfield. Well if the first three quarters are any guide of his imprint, it was a master class in midfield strategy and system planing and execution. The last 12 minutes did not happen.

Kudos Bruce.
Maybe Stone as well, as he is our strategist.
Big test vs the Doggies. They have been under the pump all week in the media, so they will come out fire and brimstone and no doubt Beveridge will throw one or two or more of his renowned out of the box curve balls.

Last edited:
There have been some question marks expressed here on Bruce's quals. and ability to coach and develop our midfield. Well if the first three quarters are any guide of his imprint, it was a master class in midfield strategy and system planing and execution. The last 12 minutes did not happen.

Kudos Bruce.
Big test vs the Doggies. They have been under the pump all week in the media, so they will come out fire and brimstone and no doubt Beveridge will throw one or two or more of his renowned out of the box curve balls.
Do you think they will terrorise Dunkley?

Kudos Bruce.
In part maybe some of the midfield problems have stemmed from Fages being unwilling to use Berry more in the centre? Maybe as a protective thing?
But either way, until Berry hurt his shoulder late in 2019? I think 🤔
He was having a breakout year in the midfield with Clugga and Robbo on the wings.

Didn't they terrorise him enough over the last few years?
Wouldn't surprise me if the way they treated Dunkley has had a toxic effect on the players and their relationship with Bevo...it almost certainly would have had a cultural impact whether they liked Dunkley or not. He did the right thing by the Club, gave great service and was treated poorly.

Being Easter and holiday time Jo Blitz & Jas Rulez63 may be on a break.
I watched the replay today and this is how my eyes saw the wing attendances unfolded v Pies.

Player - (TOG)Quarter 1Quarter 2Quarter 3Quarter 4Total
Berry (84%)867425
Wilmot (75%)554721
Bailey (80%)135514
Zorko (74%)22
McCluggage (88%)22
Unknown out of screen
last 4 minutes of Q 3
Most likely Gunston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back