Wimmera Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick Ingall is in Perth at the moment checking out Swan Districts. So i doubt he will be back. Not sure about the others???

half time lollies said:
Nick Ingall is in Perth at the moment checking out Swan Districts. So i doubt he will be back. Not sure about the others???

The connection with the WAFL for Ingall has been acknowledged from the outset by Dimboola who remain confident of securing him, at least publicly. However the rumours are consistent and strong that the entire group of imports may be absent come Round 1, 2006.

Brian 'Cobber' Cassidy has been appointed as coach of Horsham United replacing Shane McGrath and Jay Tucker who held the job for one year. Cassidy was in charge with the Diggers in 2004 before stepping aside for the McGrath/Tucker combination.
This leaves only Horsham Saints, formerly known as St. Michaels, as the only WFL club without a senior coach for 2006.

Ararat - David Law
Dimboola - Sonny Lindsey
Horsham - Stuart Farr, Damien Bunworth
Horsham United - Brian Cassidy
Minyip/Murtoa - Michael Hynes
Nhill - Dean Schumann
Stawell - Dale Power
Warrack Eagles - Marc Greig

Grimmett said:
The connection with the WAFL for Ingall has been acknowledged from the outset by Dimboola who remain confident of securing him, at least publicly. However the rumours are consistent and strong that the entire group of imports may be absent come Round 1, 2006.

I'd say your on the money there Grimmett. I'd be very surprised if any of the St. Mary's boys fronted up again. Is it fair to say they have taken their money and started running....?

My read on the situation is that the St Marys blokes genuinely felt they were going to return to Dimboola in 2006 but the footy grapevine is working effectively. They joined a struggling club as a group and took it to its first Grand Final since 1985. No doubt they earned some coin at the same time but they generally seemed to be happy to be playing together and working in the town. However, once word got out of their feats during the year, including Peter McFarlane winning the WFL Toohey Medal, their value on the football market went up. Now they are receiving good offers to play in higher standard leagues and you can't really begrudge them that opportunity. It would seem to highlight the perilous nature of using coin to support a premiership challenge, especially in a league where Horsham has won the past three flags with a team largely built through youth development and smart recruiting of local talent. I know the Demons pay but not to the extent of what has consistently been spent by the Roos on an annual basis.

Grimmett said:
Doesn't look as if the coaching changes at Stawell have affected Bobby and Solly's friendship. Wouldn't fancy being the umpire who makes a dodgy line call against Sol.

Stawell Times-News

Power and Solyom win doubles
Tuesday, 22 November 2005

Leading tennis talent Dale Power and his partner Jamie Solyom have been crowned the new Stawell Tennis Club A grade doubles champions.
Power and Solyom won the doubles title on Saturday.

In a tough competition, Power and Solyom proved the best on the day, finishing ahead of runners up duo Shane and Joel Freeland.

heard solymon is going to enter the NCFL for St Arnaud next year,

what can you guys tell me about this bloke??

Good full forward. Great kick for goal, hardly wastes an opportunity. Very strong and aggressive but prone to going over the top. Developed upper body makes him hard to contend with in one on one wrestles but is actually better on the lead. Happy to lead into the pockets because he is such a good kick. Commands his forward line area.
As a coach he is only good for leading by example, when in control of himself. Poor speaker, unable to convince many of his ability to teach younger players.
Missed substantial numbers of games during three years with Stawell due to injuries and suspensions.
In the 2003 GF he lost the plot and tried to decapitate Stuart Farr of Horsham. Subsequently was suspended for 3 or 4 and had a suspended sentence tacked on meaning he missed the first six or so weeks of 2004. This year when Stawell suffered a surprise loss to Ararat he tried to headbutt the Rats ruckman as the teams shook hands at the end of the game and then banned his players from entering the Ararat social club.
Away from football he seems almost shy unless amongst teammates.
In short, he's high maintenance but if you can keep him focussed on playing footy he might be worth the hassle. Don't know if many WFL teams would take him on.

Grimmett said:
Good full forward. Great kick for goal, hardly wastes an opportunity. Very strong and aggressive but prone to going over the top. Developed upper body makes him hard to contend with in one on one wrestles but is actually better on the lead. Happy to lead into the pockets because he is such a good kick. Commands his forward line area.
As a coach he is only good for leading by example, when in control of himself. Poor speaker, unable to convince many of his ability to teach younger players.
Missed substantial numbers of games during three years with Stawell due to injuries and suspensions.
In the 2003 GF he lost the plot and tried to decapitate Stuart Farr of Horsham. Subsequently was suspended for 3 or 4 and had a suspended sentence tacked on meaning he missed the first six or so weeks of 2004. This year when Stawell suffered a surprise loss to Ararat he tried to headbutt the Rats ruckman as the teams shook hands at the end of the game and then banned his players from entering the Ararat social club.
Away from football he seems almost shy unless amongst teammates.
In short, he's high maintenance but if you can keep him focussed on playing footy he might be worth the hassle. Don't know if many WFL teams would take him on.

dont know if i wanted to hear that! he isnt coaching, we already have a coach so he is just a player. sounds like he will fit in well, hopefully sort a few out in our league!

Take my comments for what you want. Remember he coached and played for Stawell who are the arch rivals of my club Ararat. Think Donald vs St Arnaud for the type of rivalry involved.
He will most definitely sort a few out if given the chance. It's not all thug stuff either as anybody who wanders into his path on a lead will know they have been connected with.

Today's Wimmera Mail-Times reports that Josh Mibus is leaving Horsham United to play for Donald in the North Central FL. Mibus is a regular WFL representative and has previously been in the VCFL squad for the Country Championships. Donald are waiting on confirmation that his Diggers' teammates, Jay Tucker and Tim Wade, will also cross to the NCFL. Tucker has coached United in two of the last three years and spent 2004 playing in the WAFL. Wade is a former basketballer with the Horsham Hornets who played his first season of major league football in 2005 and is developing into a handy KPP forward.

Ross Funcke is coaching Donald so they are clearly loading up on major league recruits to have a fair dinkum crack at the NCFL flag.
United appear to be destined for a slide down the WFL ladder as they will also lose century goalkicker Brad Miller as well. Recent reports suggested he was looking at playing for Werribee in the VFL but he is now more likely to head to the WAFL with Perth.

URCH_CRUNCH said:
dont know if i wanted to hear that! he isnt coaching, we already have a coach so he is just a player. sounds like he will fit in well, hopefully sort a few out in our league!

Urch Crunch
Can you tell me how Cam Penny went this year with Horsham?

ratley said:
Urch Crunch
Can you tell me how Cam Penny went this year with Horsham?

Powerhouse footballer who didn't meet an opposition player he thought he should run around during 2005. Booted three goals in the Grand Final in a dominant display for Horsham. Rightfully won the medal for BOG. Strong year in which he played across half back regularly and mixed in th eodd run up forward or on the ball. I'm sure Horsham will be keen to see him in a Demons guernsey again in 2006.

Clarrie (Grimmett), any chance you would be able to tell me whether the two following players are still around the Wimmera and iff so who they are playing for:
Daniel Matthews (from Stawell). This kid was an absolute star at 15-16, at which point I would have put a teste on him getting drafted, but he didn't seem to cut it with the Rebels.
Jai Smith (Horsham). Probably an even better junior than Danny boy. Another whom I thought would find find his way to AFL club but apparently never even got close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jye Smith played in the Horsham premiership of 2003 as a 17 year old if memory serves. Too short for anything other than VCFL major league standard he is blessed with good skills and blinding pace. Played in the 2004 Reserves premiership after Horsham recruited a number of older blokes back to the club. This season he transferred across to Horsham United where he was consistent playing in and across the midfield.

Grimmett said:
Jye Smith played in the Horsham premiership of 2003 as a 17 year old if memory serves. Too short for anything other than VCFL major league standard he is blessed with good skills and blindingpace. Played in the 2004 Reserves premiership after Horsham recruited a number of older blokes back to the club. This season he transferred across to Horsham United where he was consistent playing in and across the midfield.

Thanks pal. That's amazing that he couldn't even get a game in the Ones last year.
What about Danny M? Any news on him...

Daniel Matthews played with Newcomb in the Bellarine League in 2005. They defeated Torquay in the Grand Final. A brief scout showed him as BOG in Rd 1. Not mentioned in despatches about the GF. No idea how he's travelling as a footballer these days. Perhaps you could ask in the Geelong Region thread?

Grandale said:
Thanks pal. That's amazing that he couldn't even get a game in the Ones last year.
What about Danny M? Any news on him...

Jye played some ones but he was mostly kept out of the lineup because Scott Batchelor who is similar in stature but has represented the VCFL was playing as well.

Grimmett said:
United appear to be destined for a slide down the WFL ladder as they will also lose century goalkicker Brad Miller as well. Recent reports suggested he was looking at playing for Werribee in the VFL but he is now more likely to head to the WAFL with Perth.

I hope you are right that he is heading our way. Did he give any indication that Perth was his preferred option? I know another club was keen to get him over here too, but hopefully he will make the right choice
:thumbsu:

Satan311 said:
I hope you are right that he is heading our way. Did he give any indication that Perth was his preferred option? I know another club was keen to get him over here too, but hopefully he will make the right choice
:thumbsu:

Quote from the Mail-Times is: "I'm going over to Western Australia on December 9 for a few days to check out the situation. I'll talk to anyone and will be more than happy to meet with East Perth while I'm over there, but Perth is looking the option."

Full article here: http://araratfc.vcfl.com.au/newsitem.asp?id=17969&orgID=1111&Oname=Ararat+Rats&O1c=6&O10c=2

Satan311 said:
Thanks Grimmett :thumbsu: Can't wait to see if he signs and lines up for us next year. Do you know how tall he is?

The WFL weekly record is titled 'The Footballer'. In 'The Footballer' for this years 1st Semi Final Miller was listed as 190cms and 98kg. All I can suggest is that would be close to the mark but as the clubs are required to submit the information for publication they traditionally just ask the players' what heights and weights they want to be listed as. Players traditionally add or subtract depending on what they think they SHOULD be or WANT to be, not what they actually ARE.
So 190 and 98, for what its worth.

2006 WFL Draw has been Released in todays Horsham Mail Times Starts April 8
Rd 1
Warrack Eagles V Nhill (Warracknabeal)
Dimboola V United
Minyip/Murtoa v Saints (Minyip)
Horsham v Ararat.
Stawell Bye.

Rd 2 April 22
Stawell v Saints
Dimboola v Minyip/Murtoa
United v Warrack Eagles
Nhill V Horsham
Ararat Bye.

Rd 3 Anzac Day tuesdays 25th
Saints v United

Rd 3 cont April 29
Minyip/Murtoa v Stawell
Nhill V Dimboola
Ararat v Warrack Eagles
Horsham Bye

RD 4.
Ararat v Nhill
Horsham V United
Warrack Eagles v Minyip Murtoa (Brim)
Stawell V Dimboola
saints Bye

Rd 5
United V Nhill
Minyip/Murtoa v Ararat (Minyip)
Stawell v Horsham
Saints v warrack Eagles
Dimboola Bye

Rd 6
United v Minyip-Murtoa
Nhill V Stawell
Ararat v Saints
Dimboola V Horsham ( Grand final rematch ;) )
Warrack Eagles bye
May 27 Interleague.

Rd 7
Saints v Dimboola
Warrack Eagles v Stawell ( Warracknabeal)
Horsham v Minyip-Murtoa
Ararat v United
Nhill Bye.

Rd 8 saturday
Warrack Eagles v Dimboola (Brim)
Minyip-Murtoa v Nhill (Murtoa)

Sunday:
Stawell v Ararat
Saints V Horsham

Rd 9
Horsham V Warrack Eagles
Dimboola v Ararat
Nhill V Saints
Stawell v United
Minyip-Murtoa bye

Rd 10
Ararat v Horsham
Nhill V Warrack Eagles
United v Dimboola
Saints v Minyip-Murtoa
Stawell bye

Rd 11
saints v Stawell
Minyip-Murtoa v Dimboola (Minyip)
Warrack Eagles v United (Brim)
Horsham V Nhill
Ararat Bye

Rd 12
United v Saints
Stawell v Minyip-Murtoa
Dimboola V Nhill
Warrack Eagles v Ararat (Warracknabeal)
Horsham Bye

2006 WFL Draw has been Released in todays Horsham Mail Times Starts April 8
Rd 1
Warrack Eagles V Nhill (Warracknabeal)
Dimboola V United
Minyip/Murtoa v Saints (Minyip)
Horsham v Ararat.
Stawell Bye.

Rd 2 April 22
Stawell v Saints
Dimboola v Minyip/Murtoa
United v Warrack Eagles
Nhill V Horsham
Ararat Bye.

Rd 3 Anzac Day tuesdays 25th
Saints v United

Rd 3 cont April 29
Minyip/Murtoa v Stawell
Nhill V Dimboola
Ararat v Warrack Eagles
Horsham Bye

RD 4.
Ararat v Nhill
Horsham V United
Warrack Eagles v Minyip Murtoa (Brim)
Stawell V Dimboola
saints Bye

Rd 5
United V Nhill
Minyip/Murtoa v Ararat (Minyip)
Stawell v Horsham
Saints v warrack Eagles
Dimboola Bye

Rd 6
United v Minyip-Murtoa
Nhill V Stawell
Ararat v Saints
Dimboola V Horsham ( Grand final rematch ;) )
Warrack Eagles bye
May 27 Interleague.

Rd 7
Saints v Dimboola
Warrack Eagles v Stawell ( Warracknabeal)
Horsham v Minyip-Murtoa
Ararat v United
Nhill Bye.

Rd 8 saturday
Warrack Eagles v Dimboola (Brim)
Minyip-Murtoa v Nhill (Murtoa)

Sunday:
Stawell v Ararat
Saints V Horsham

Rd 9
Horsham V Warrack Eagles
Dimboola v Ararat
Nhill V Saints
Stawell v United
Minyip-Murtoa bye

Rd 10
Ararat v Horsham
Nhill V Warrack Eagles
United v Dimboola
Saints v Minyip-Murtoa
Stawell bye

Rd 11
saints v Stawell
Minyip-Murtoa v Dimboola (Minyip)
Warrack Eagles v United (Brim)
Horsham V Nhill
Ararat Bye

Rd 12
United v Saints
Stawell v Minyip-Murtoa
Dimboola V Nhill
Warrack Eagles v Ararat (Warracknabeal)
Horsham Bye

Rd 13
Nhill V Ararat
United v Horsham
Minyip-Murtoa v Warrack Eagles (Murtoa)
Dimboola v Stawell
Saints Bye

Rd 14
Nhill v United
Ararat v Minyip-Murtoa
Horsham v Stawell
Warrack Eagles v Saints (Warracknabeal)
Dimboola bye

Rd 15
Minyip-Murtoa v United (Min)
Stawell v Nhill
Saints v Ararat
Horsham v Dimboola
Warrack Eagles bye

Rd 16
Dimboola v Saints
Stawell v Warrack Eagles
Minyip-Murtoa v Horsham (Mur)
United v Ararat
Nhill Bye

Rd 17 Sat
Dimboola v Warrack Eagles
Horsham v Saints
Nhill v Minyip-Murtoa

Rd 17 Sunday
Ararat v Stawell
United Bye

Rd 18
Warrack Eagles v Horsham (Brim)
Ararat v Dimboola
Saints v Nhill
United v Stawell
Minyip-Murtoa Bye

finals

Yet to be confirmed by the WFL but Horsham United and Ararat have agreed to play their games on Sundays in 2006. WFL has indicated it only needed to the two clubs to agree to the idea and they would support it. Agreement is finalised so the matches will be played on Sunday next year.

then why would they Publish the Draw i would think they would decide before they had published the Draw and i bet when the draw comes out in the footy record it will say the same .
i will know when it gets closer at our Umpires training night officially
cause united and saints won;t be able to train much not with a small break
i should know whats happening up here being a goal umpire for the Wimmera football umpires association, so we know what happening like last year with the night footy we didn;t know until the last Minute
I can easily ask our President he should know or even the League President
the WFL will have a new President for 2006

i think it will take toll on the Players i think it should stay weekens we are Wimmera football league not AFL and i don't think the other umpires would want to only have a short break anyway
especally goal umpires were just got enough we lost one with retirement so we'll struggle abit this year
unless we got any new ones i don;t know about. one goal umpire is a Policeman at Horsham, and another 2 are Centrals also have a PArking inspector he's a Central as well . most mighn't be avaulable due to shift work . we struggle in finals goals sometimes we have to do 2 games in arow or 3 one the sunday depening if someones working that day thats how bad it;s getting .

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back