News Will Snelling signs with Sturt

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't agree re: height.

its extremely important in the guts, the fact if players were 10cm taller they'd probably carry an extra 5kg of mass and hence strength which means a heap when competing against men. With AFL structures its likely smaller players wont be able to get to the fall of the ball because they would be pushed out of the drop zone. not to mention the increase in marking around the ground and ability to defend in transition. Height is a huge factor, but that said you don't not draft a kid because of height if they are talented enough.
That is what a lot of people think which is why S Gray was played as a forward instead of a mid and look what happened there. Snelling looks like a good player as did Gray.

Sammy Gray is pushing for top 10 as far as selection goes so it is hard to include him in this discussion because he is so far ahead in the pecking order.

I said "even at the start of this year" (ie. 2015) when S Gray had only ever played fwd pocket in the AFL. I was a Brett Ebert to midfielder man a year after we drafted him though.

How his kicking skills?

Not a long kick at all, but very accurate in finding targets that aren't obvious, to break up play.

Smart decision-maker.

In last year's Under 18 West premiership side, he was best on ground in the Elimination Finakl, 1st Semi Final and close in the Grand Final. (He didn't play the 2nd half of the Prelim).

This year, he walked straight into West's league side as a starting on-baller and stayed there all year. He was outstanding in the finals and Grand final.

Can't agree re: height.

its extremely important in the guts, the fact if players were 10cm taller they'd probably carry an extra 5kg of mass and hence strength which means a heap when competing against men. With AFL structures its likely smaller players wont be able to get to the fall of the ball because they would be pushed out of the drop zone. not to mention the increase in marking around the ground and ability to defend in transition. Height is a huge factor, but that said you don't not draft a kid because of height if they are talented enough.

Prestia was second in the league for average clearances this year, and he's 175 cm.

At the risk of Papa G having a cheap shot, you've done brilliantly to get Will Snelling.

The knock is that he's only about 173cms.

What I can say is that he's a better player than almost all outside the top 20 draft picks the other night.

Great in and under midfielder, smart, great decisions, good skills and a ball magnet through sheer hard work.

His form for West all year was outstanding and he had a wonderful finals series.

Also a class act as a person.
Cheers for the feedback. Did he play in the GF? If not do you know why?
edit; Just saw a post above saying he played in the GF.

Has far better skills than Mitchell

I read that at first and given the comparisons earlier to Sam Mitchell I was about to launch a tirade and get banned... oh you mean Kane, gun back in the holster. I follow the SANFL closely and because of clubs' obsession with height you guys got yourself a massive bargain there. He's a footballer, not an athlete but works his butt off to be a better athlete.

I read that at first and given the comparisons earlier to Sam Mitchell I was about to launch a tirade and get banned... oh you mean Kane, gun back in the holster. I follow the SANFL closely and because of clubs' obsession with height you guys got yourself a massive bargain there. He's a footballer, not an athlete but works his but off to be a better athlete.
Totally agree. He reminded me of Sam as soon as I saw the highlights, composed and doesn't burn possessions.

Absolutely Stoked with Snelling. There's always a role for a small in and under inside mid to compliment the big bodied bash and crash inside mids like Ollie. We now have fantastic depth everywhere on the park!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like we've got ourselves a steal here, unbelievable that a State Under 18 captain who played league footy most of the year and played in a premiership was completely overlooked in the main draft. Is there something more to it than height?

Seems like we've got ourselves a steal here, unbelievable that a State Under 18 captain who played league footy most of the year and played in a premiership was completely overlooked in the main draft. Is there something more to it than height?

The main issue aside from his height is he seems to max out his kick at around 40-45m.

He's not just sub 180, he's sub 175. Height is a massive issue, which is why he slipped through the national draft to the rookie list.

Been watching Snelling for 3 years Power supporters should be stoked. Your getting a fierce competitor that has a massive work rate, ran a 16 beep last year. Snelling has elite hands and is a tackling machine. Can play as a small forward and kicked multiple goals in the SANFL finals series. Great selection!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back