News Will Snelling signs with Sturt

Remove this Banner Ad

From the squad that played tonight compared to what I think will happen in round 1 I've got,

IN: Hombsch, Dixon, Ryder, Jonas, Hartlett, Wingard, Monfries
OUT: Clurey, Schulz, Lobbe, Bonner, Snelling, Palmer, S.Gray

So speaking just about the midfield, Hartlett comes in and also due to Wingard and Monfries, that may push Robbie Gray into the middle more.

After another bedazzling cameo in the forward lines tonight, I'd like to see Robbie play considerable more time up front - closer to the goal square the better.
He's such a clever player in there - I doubt that any small / mid sized defender would ever feel comfortable in the one on ones, whilst he's also very good on the lead too. A great sidekick or foil for Wingard, although perhaps his "defensive speed" might be an issue.

Naturally we need to somehow replace the "clearance machine" aspect whilst he is on the ball to do so...hopefully Sam & young William, amongst others, can pick up some slack and become a part of that solution

Will had a more than solid debut, didn't look overawed at all out there, has a body that's ready made for AFL & most importantly I think it's great we've picked up a pure footballer with a good footy brain.

Considering there were queries over his pace his desire to chase down much quicker Suns players affected a number of their streams down the centre, well played young lad.

From the squad that played tonight compared to what I think will happen in round 1 I've got,

IN: Hombsch, Dixon, Ryder, Jonas, Hartlett, Wingard, Monfries
OUT: Clurey, Schulz, Lobbe, Bonner, Snelling, Palmer, S.Gray

So speaking just about the midfield, Hartlett comes in and also due to Wingard and Monfries, that may push Robbie Gray into the middle more.
Probably more for the best 22 in 2017 thread but i'd keep Clurey in ahead of Jonas definitely, from a going forward point of view I think Cluzza's got a much bigger ceiling for improvement.

I wouldn't be surprised if we shopped Tommy around tbh, we haven't offered him a new contract yet & he's apparently got interest from interstate even though he'd prefer to stay.

I'm thinking more about how we compete against teams full of finals-hardened, physical beasts like Sydney.
Yeah but can only go by what we have seen, think Snelling has the game to go alright against Sydney, in fact he is quite the sydneyesque type no nonsense tough player.
Sam is a touch underrated around here

I'm thinking more about how we compete against teams full of finals-hardened, physical beasts like Sydney.

This is exactly what I was wondering myself.
It's a lot easier to bump a Gray/Snelling off the ball than it is a Boak/Ebert.

I'd be concerned in finals football with two small guys, Wines can't do everything...

I'd be concerned in finals football with two small guys, Wines can't do everything...
Sam Mitchell, for example, only has an inch on Snelling. If Snelling puts on 5-8kg of muscle over the next couple of years, I can't see anybody complaining too much about his size.

#swelling4snelling

Agree it'll be one or the other next year for mine, anyone hear Derm say other clubs are interested in S. Gray last night?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Mitchell, for example, only has an inch on Snelling. If Snelling puts on 5-8kg of muscle over the next couple of years, I can't see anybody complaining too much about his size.

#swelling4snelling

Another 5-8kg and he'll look like Mickey Conlan :eek:

Yeah but can only go by what we have seen, think Snelling has the game to go alright against Sydney, in fact he is quite the sydneyesque type no nonsense tough player.
Sam is a touch underrated around here
I heard one of the commentators from the game last night say that Sam Gray has attracted interest from other clubs. First time i heard it but can understand it if true.

Shall I assume this is a good thing? :p

Indeed. Mighty Mickey Conlan put the wind up a few players back in his Fitzroy days. ;D

BFTP_Conlan-hero.jpg

#swelling4snelling
I've nothing against having a small player in the team. North has Harvey, Hawks have Mitchell, Adelaide has Betts etc. If Snelling puts on 5-8 kg and turns into a highly skilled wrecking ball of an inside mid I have no problem. Its when you add S Gray, Amon, Neade, Impey etc. into the same team that I get worried. Happy to have one of Snelling/S Gray and one of Amon/Neade/Impey for a maximum of two vertically challenged players in the team, but not 4 or 5 as I don't think we'll be competitive against the more physical teams that are perennial finals contenders.

I've nothing against having a small player in the team. North has Harvey, Hawks have Mitchell, Adelaide has Betts etc.
All teams have 4 or 5 smalls. Hawthorn have Mitchell, Puopolo, Hartung, Duryea, Rioli, Hill.

Difference is we play smalls in spots where there should be talls, or our talls don't compete and the smalls have to try and take marks, or whatever. Makes us look smaller than the opposition.

In a structured team we can get away with 4-5 smalls provided most of them are built like brick shithouses, have good all round games and turn up to play every week.

All teams have 4 or 5 smalls. Hawthorn have Mitchell, Puopolo, Hartung, Duryea, Rioli, Hill.

Difference is we play smalls in spots where there should be talls, or our talls don't compete and the smalls have to try and take marks, or whatever. Makes us look smaller than the opposition.

In a structured team we can get away with 4-5 smalls provided most of them are built like brick shithouses, have good all round games and turn up to play every week.
Is this code for "wearepoorlycoached"??

Probably more for the best 22 in 2017 thread but i'd keep Clurey in ahead of Jonas definitely, from a going forward point of view I think Cluzza's got a much bigger ceiling for improvement.

I wouldn't be surprised if we shopped Tommy around tbh, we haven't offered him a new contract yet & he's apparently got interest from interstate even though he'd prefer to stay.
Then we're daft. There's a spot for Clurey in our best 22. As of now, I'd have him in our Rd 1 side before Jonas, and just before Austin, although the latter can change quickly if Austin starts marking the ball some more.

A couple of Hawthorn's smalls (Rioli, Puopolo) are explosive, powerful types. We have Impey who is. The others arguably aren't just yet.

Mind you, I'd carry our 4 little guys from last night into matches ahead of Neade and Toumpas. It also helps if our big guys play more like big guys should and start holding their marks.

A couple of Hawthorn's smalls (Rioli, Puopolo) are explosive, powerful types. We have Impey who is. The others arguably aren't just yet.

Mind you, I'd carry our 4 little guys from last night into matches ahead of Neade and Toumpas. It also helps if our big guys play more like big guys should and start holding their marks.
Snelling way ahead of Neade...physically, wins much more of tje ball , is simply a hard nut natural footballer..and tackles hard and not pushed off the ball. Will get better and remember he is a leader capt of u18 and has played a lot of footy against men

Then we're daft. There's a spot for Clurey in our best 22. As of now, I'd have him in our Rd 1 side before Jonas, and just before Austin, although the latter can change quickly if Austin starts marking the ball some more.
Agree that ahead of Jonas...much better kick and runs well with ball...will be a very good rebounding player..a tough country kid who has got a bit of s###t in him ...like TC a lot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back