Will clubs draft players to stop Buddy Franklin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Heater39

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that Buddy has well and truly established himself as a star of the competition and is set to be a dominant player for the next 10 years will clubs draft players to that can match up on Buddy?

I'm not saying drafting a player purely to stop Franklin but clubs may well look for certain attributes that allow players to match it with Franklin.

Fair to say the Western Bulldogs were the first to do exactly this. As soon Hawthorn called Buddy out for pick 5 the Bulldogs preceded to call Tom Williams out with pick 6. Now it's just matter of getting him on the park.

(Just noticed Sydney recruited a 200cm 24 year old canadian rugby player, i reckon he might have the athletism to go with Buddy)

Fair to say the Western Bulldogs were the first to do exactly this. As soon Hawthorn called Buddy out for pick 5 the Bulldogs preceded to call Tom Williams out with pick 6. Now it's just matter of getting him on the park.

(Just noticed Sydney recruited a 200cm 24 year old canadian rugby player, i reckon he might have the athletism to go with Buddy)

So the Western Bulldogs knew that Buddy was going to be the player he now is and promptly drafted the player they beleived could stop Buddy with the following pick?

What a load of hogwash!!!!

You telling me clubs are not already trying to recruit tall, strong, fast, skillful players? :confused:

Think they always have been, whether specifically to stop franklin or not is irrelevant.

Teams will draft players depending on what they need. At Carlton I'd say a key forward will be first on our priority.

The opposition is going to get a certain number of inside 50s and likely to score a certain number of goals. Hawks just tend to channel through fewer targets so you just need to counter that by countering those targets.

You just need to focus the defensive efforts to where all the inside 50s are going rather than worry about Buddy. Hawks play the same way even when Franklin is out... so if its Roughead of Wlliams or Boyle or whoever that is the target then you focus the zone on the target.

Hawks in general will not distribute the ball to all forwards evenly. They will go to Buddy 70% of the time, Roughead 20% and the third forward about 10% of the time. They will often go to the primary target even if it is not the best target.

I think the way the Hawks play anyone moderately talented will kick a lot of goals because most sides don't saturate one target with so much of the ball. A defensive unit has to look at allocated the defensive resources to where the forward thrust is going, it is less about Buddy and more about where the ball is going. A lot of teams have 2 or 3 defenders who have **** all of the ball go to their direct opponent, the question is what are THEY doing to help out the poor bastard who is playing on Buddy.

Buddy will kick 2 or 3 goals by default due to sheer saturation of inside 50s targeted at him. Longmire was a perfect example that you do not even need to be able to take an overhead mark to get close to kicking a ton, you just need saturation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HAHAHHAHAHHAHA yeah... you got one alright

How is that funny? Garland was one of the few players to beat Buddy this year. He would've been in about his 10th AFL game, with probably 5-6 of those a a defender, so to beat Buddy the way he did with so little experience was a fantastic effort.

Buddy had a ton of ball coming in for him and got 14 disposals, 4 marks 3 goals.
Garland had 10 disposals, 10 spoils, 4 tackles, 4 rebound 50s, and won the battle while under a barrage from the Hawks midfield.

You laughing it off like that shows how little knowledge you have.

Long answer: Stop the midfield stop the supply stop the forwards. Buddy gets so many shots on goal because he is the teams main forward. So while he is the key forward he will always be the target and the ball will usually be kicked in his area. So just stop the ball going there.

Short answer: No.
totally agree

Teams will draft players depending on what they need. At Carlton I'd say a key forward will be first on our priority.

What about a ruck men and two key defenders, you need all them
and before you have a shot at me and demons, we need about 18 players

I think a lot of clubs mismatch Franklin with the wrong type of defender. Gibson from North seems to have a good record against him so I think opposition coaches would do best by sacrificing height for pace and strength at ground level.

Has Bock played on Franklin? If so can anybody remind me of the outcome?

Long answer: Stop the midfield stop the supply stop the forwards. Buddy gets so many shots on goal because he is the teams main forward. So while he is the key forward he will always be the target and the ball will usually be kicked in his area. So just stop the ball going there.

Short answer: No.

Definately not teams either draft a player because they are the best available when they have their pick or they are picking a player to fill a whole in the teams structure.

In terms of why Buddy gets so many shots at goal. Yes the Hawks do go to him a fair bit but its more his ability to turn half chances remote chances into a shot at goal. His ability and traits allow him to mark, turn players inside out, out run, out muscle opponents, kicks off one step from outside 50, snaps from all angles he is awesome full stop. No other tall has the number of tricks that Buddy has in his bag!

So do you think that Mooney would get as many shots at goal if he played at Hawthorn or if the Cats went to Mooney more often? Buddy gets double teamed nearly every week nowdays and still gets 10-14 shots at goal every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back