Society/Culture Why Australia needs to lower its immigration intake

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is about a lot of things, but one of the things it is not about is crime.

The next person who seeks to make a connection between violent crime and immigration by posting about it in here will receive a threadban and an infraction equivalent to the racism it portrays.

Should you want to talk about violent crime, the 'African gangs' thread is both thataway:

... and just as well monitored, so be extremely careful to remain within BF's rules.

As a reminder, the following is taken from BF rules:
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:

is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
misinformation or disinformation,
defamatory,
threatening,
abusive,
bigotry,
likely to offend,
is spam or spam-like,
contains adult or objectionable content,
risks copyright infringement,
encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
or otherwise violates any laws,
or contains personal information of others,

You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct, including any material posted under your account.
Let's stay on topic from here.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Its no secret that over the past 10 years most Australians have not scene a rise in their living standards as the costs of living have gone up and up while wages for most Australians have remained stagnant. I put a lot of this down to our high levels of immigration , while I acknowledge its not the only factor non the less it is a major one .

Our high levels of immigration are causing the following problems

1. Keep wages down -this is a simple one with a greater supply of workers business no longer need to pay them higher wages to keep them. In most cases a business can get rid of a worker and then replace them with total ease.

2.Increase the cost of living - another simple one as a greater demand for commodities means businesses can charge a higher price .

3.Strain on our infrastructure- the reality is we can not build the required infrastructure needed to accommodate an extra 1 million people every 4 years.

4.Social cohesion- Australia is just not a country that everyone can easily assimilate into. Many of our recent immigrants are just struggling to assimilate into the Australian culture .

Australia needs to desperately reduce its immigration intake down to 70,000 and as fast as possible.

Don't repeat crap Abbott talking points, we can afford it, he wants to chose not to.
I'm partial to some lower immigration to protect the environment. Refugees are a tiny proportion of immigration so we can deal with them.

It needs to be sharply curbed (and this is from the ABC)

It's a very simple equation: more people means more economic activity and that gives the government of the day an easy way to keep crowing on about good economic management. But more people does not mean that the living standards of the existing population also rise. In fact, it can have detrimental economic effects for the people who are already here. New workers mean greater competition for jobs, which suppresses wages. The most recent data shows that wages growth in Australia has hit a record low of just 1.9 per cent per annum. More people also mean more demand for scarce goods and services. When there's already a tight supply of a particular good, it can mean huge price rises.

8194066-1x1-340x340.png

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-19/high-immigration-masks-australian-economic-decline/8193628

What are those levels of immigration, and are they really that high?

The numbers for permanent migration over the next 3 years are set for 190,000, that doesn't include temporary migrants who often end up being permanent.

Like I keep saying its basic economics, a greater supply of workers means they are less valuable and get paid less while a greater supply of consumers means commodities are more valuable and will cost more .

Don't repeat crap Abbott talking points, we can afford it, he wants to chose not to.

What do you mean we can afford it ? over the past 10 years most Australians have seem their costs of living rise while their wages have remained stagnant .

Most of the polls I have seen suggest most Australians do support a reduction in immigration intakes, have a look for your yourself .

Again its just basic economics of supply and demand I am putting forward.

I'm aware those are the numbers but where is your evidence it's too high, or that those numbers have a net negative effect on the economy?

What type of evidence would you like ? serious question if you tell me I can go and look for it for you . I have seen a number of graphs on sky news during the week but even if I post them you can say that's not due to immigration.

What I am going on is 2 simple facts .

1.Costs of living has risen over the past 10 years and wages for most have remained stagnant.

2.The basic law of supply and demand that if you increase the supply of something you make it less valuable and that if you increase the demand for something you make it more valuable.

are you disputing any of this ?

I can tell you my dad only needs to have a job advertised online for 3 hours to get 100 applicants, most workers can just be too easily replaced .

What type of evidence would you like ? serious question if you tell me I can go and look for it for you . I have seen a number of graphs on sky news during the week but even if I post them you can say that's not due to immigration.

1.Costs of living has risen over the past 10 years and wages for most have remained stagnant.

2.The basic law of supply and demand that if you increase the supply of something you make it less valuable and that if you increase the demand for something you make it more valuable.

I can tell you my dad only needs to have a job advertised online for 3 hours to get 100 applicants, most workers can just be too easily replaced .
Can you link the higher cost of living to immigration? That's what has been asked of you, and you won't be able to do it.

The higher cost of living is due to the concerted campaign to weaken unions, the stagnation of the minimum wage, the decrease in regulation of the utilities industry, the casualisation of the workforce.

The neo libs cause the problems you loathe, and then convince you it's brown people's fault.

It's a vicious cycle.

Can you link the higher cost of living to immigration? That's what has been asked of you, and you won't be able to do it.

The higher cost of living is due to the concerted campaign to weaken unions, the stagnation of the minimum wage, the decrease in regulation of the utilities industry, the casualisation of the workforce.

The neo libs cause the problems you loathe, and then convince you it's brown people's fault.

It's a vicious cycle.

Nevertheless, a cut to the intake numbers would have a positive wage flow on effect to some of the points you mentioned.

Identify the main drivers of cost of living increases and the driver of cost within each sector. Is the cost driver purely demand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Identify the main drivers of cost of living increases and the driver of cost within each sector. Is the cost driver purely demand?

So you do accept that immigration is having some effect on the rising costs of living and the stagnation of most peoples wages ?

It is literally impossible to have some type of scientific evidence that shows exactly how much immigration plays in this but as you acknowledge I think it does play a role .

It's a vicious cycle.

What your asking for is not possible , you cant link exactly how much a role immigration is playing in low wage growth and the rising costs of living.

But if you believe in the basic law of supply and demand you have to accept that immigration is playing a role.

The other causes of this problem is carbon reduction policy, taxes that are too high, an outdated IR policy and too much red tape imposed by government.

So you do accept that immigration is having some effect on the rising costs of living and the stagnation of most peoples wages ?

It is literally impossible to have some type of scientific evidence that shows exactly how much immigration plays in this but as you acknowledge I think it does play a role .

I don't know whether immigration is a factor or to what it extent it contributes, so I don't know that you've done anything to prove your point.

What do you think are the big drivers of cost of living right now?

Well, not it's not. But if it was, why are you arguing for it? It seems you simply don't like brown people.

Do you have evidence?

You'll find that immigration has stagnated and been dramatically outpaced by COL in the past 10 years.

What your asking for is not possible , you cant link exactly how much a role immigration is playing in low wage growth and the rising costs of living.
Well it is possible.

It hasn't been proven, because it isn't true.

Remember this is your thread, and it's weird you are acknowledging your argument can't be proven with evidence.

But if you believe in the basic law of supply and demand you have to accept that immigration is playing a role.

The other causes of this problem is carbon reduction policy, taxes that are too high, an outdated IR policy and too much red tape imposed by government.

We don't have to accept anything, actually. What is the marginal cost of producing electricity for example?

I don't know whether immigration is a factor or to what it extent it contributes, so I don't know that you've done anything to prove your point.

What do you think are the big drivers of cost of living right now?

If you believe in the law of supply and demand how can you not believe that immigration is causing the problems were talking about ?

The big drivers are carbon reduction policy, high taxes, outdated IR policy and too much red tape.

Well it is possible.

It hasn't been proven, because it isn't true.

Remember this is your thread, and it's weird you are acknowledging your argument can't be proven with evidence.

It can be proven with evidence , just not the type you will accept .

Do you believe in the law of supply and demand ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back