West Coast AFL another flag before Fremantle AFL's first

Who's closer to a flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll save you all the trouble of reading through this thread.

To answer the question, the answer is simple...

If West Coast win and Freo lose on any given weekend - the answer is West Coast

If Freo win and West Coast lose - the answer is Freo

If West Coast and Freo both win - suck a fat one Vics

If West Coast and Freo both lose - Vic bias

End.

Freo's fortunes would turn very quickly under a coach who can actually implement fast, attacking footy.

They do it in patches over the past couple of years but only seems to be when the game is beyond them and JL releases the shackles.

Why not okay that way from the very start? The conservative coaching is a complete joke.

Freo should be. They have a fantastic list but don’t think the coach is getting the absolute best from them. And with a guy like Fyfe back fit he should be doing what Yeo is doing at west coast and back to being the big dominating midfield beast he once was. They have had a sh!t sandwich draw though to start season so that may not have helped.

I think Goss is an Eagles fan and was probably partly stirring, but putting us aside I don't really see a viable path for Freo to the flag with this core and coach unless big changes are made. They have some gun players, but they need a list overhaul and a whole new gameplan. If everything goes right I think they could challenge in about 2 or 3 years. I'd prefer them to win a flag than Collingwood or Geelong again that's for sure.

As for us, we're just glad to see a change, real competitiveness, good signs for this season at least. We'll take it one game at a time. Given how the game is set up I don't think us contending in 3 or 4 years is that out of the question.
Tim gossage is not an eagles fan. He is actually a saints fan.

I dont see the dockers win a flag under Justin Longmuir.

I see them having a sustained finals success or make finals 2 or 3 or 4 years in a row before they drop.

To put it in terms Vics will understand, it’s like asking ‘Who’s closer to a flag? - St Kilda or Hawthorn?’

I mean, it may look like St Kilda at some points in time….but ultimately….it’s probably going to be Hawthorn isn’t it?*

*Disclaimer - Jokes aside, I’m on record saying I think this Freo side (ala Serong/Jackson/Young) will win a flag before their time is up. I don’t think that’ll be under Justin Longmuir, so the next coach will be crucial.

Tim gossage is not an eagles fan. He is actually a saints fan.

I dont see the dockers win a flag under Justin Longmuir.

I see them having a sustained finals success or make finals 2 or 3 or 4 years in a row before they drop.
Oh what, okay...

Yeah if they miss the 8 the screws will really turn on him.

Fremantle but have butchered draft picks for ready made talls past few years..and still butchering picks as Luke Jackson is a ruck not a key forward
Well dockers didn't have pick 1 for 3 years in a row like Carlton did in 2005-7.

How many all Australian shirts and Brownlow a did Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs and Kreuzer win at Carlton?

Oh what, okay...

Yeah if they miss the 8 the screws will really turn on him.
That's what I fear. The dockers don't make the 8 and the screws are on Justin Longmuir.

I think Justin Longmuir is a solid coach. His 2022 season proves that. I would hate to be the peak of his coaching stint at Freo

That's what I fear. The dockers don't make the 8 and the screws are on Justin Longmuir.

I think Justin Longmuir is a solid coach. His 2022 season proves that. I would hate to be the peak of his coaching stint at Freo
Given the Dockers extended Longmuir's contract earlier this year, would the board have the guts to sack him later this year if things turn pear shaped?
Would almost be shades of St Kilda with Brett Ratten in 2022 if they did.

Given the Dockers extended Longmuir's contract earlier this year, would the board have the guts to sack him later this year if things turn pear shaped?
Its possible. Dockers sacked Mark Harvey at the end of 2011 with a year left on his contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be another couple of decades before either get one.
If the AFL keep giving leg ups to NSW and QLD sides in the form of academies you may well be right.
SA was being neglected until the AFL threw them a bone with Gather Round, while WA is still being neglected - because the AFL would rather focus on NSW and QLD.

Tim Gossage was saying he thinks West Coast are closer to a flag than Fremantle and I found it interesting.
Reason being is Fremantle are meant to be entering a premiership window while West Coast are meant to spend more time in the wilderness, given their list profile and how bad they've been in recent times.

Gossage believes West Coast have already bottomed out and are on the way up again, and are set to go past Fremantle who have stagnated recently in their build towards a flag.

What do you think?
Do you agree or disagree with Tim Gossage?
Is that the same Tim gossage that said eagles deserve priority picks, their that bad a few weeks earlier?
I don’t divulge in any media, hopefully more follow suit so the sensationalist are out of work.

Last edited:
If the AFL keep giving leg ups to NSW and QLD sides in the form of academies you may well be right.
SA was being neglected until the AFL threw them a bone with Gather Round, while WA is still being neglected - because the AFL would rather focus on NSW and QLD.
AFL would rather North Melbourne win a flag than a club from SA or WA. LOL

Frankly I have very low confidence in the board, and their decision to extend JLs contract really hasn't had a justifiable explanation to the members. The CEO dodges and weaves when questioned, and our so called Executive General Manager of Football is nowhere to be seen.

Last edited:
To the question at hand I think that on face value of the list the answer should be Freo. However the reality is that West Coast have a better coaching team, better off-field support, and most importantly a superior culture that generates an environment where success is mandated. If I was forced to bet on one, I feel like it would be stupidity to bet on Freo.

As much as it pains me to say this, I also think the reality that Freo supporters don't want to face is that West Coast have more demanding and less tolerant members and supporters. I fear our members have become so accustomed to mediocrity that their collective expectations have lowered over time.

I would personally love to see a move on our board ala Tigerland 2016 or something similar. Not that I am advocating for instability, I just feel like we need a serious circuit breaker or line in the sand that says no more. I doubt it will happen and I expect 2024 season will turn into another middling nothing season. Maybe we scrape into the finals and make up the numbers, but to what end? All this would achieve is filling up the hope tank a bit and feeding more of our culture of accepting mediocrity.

It's a pretty grim picture. I have low optimisim and low faith in the competence of the clubs current leadership to turn it around. I would love to be proven wrong...

Back