Unofficial Preview Who will our opponent be - Hawthorn or the Bulldogs?

Who will win?

• Hawthorn

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
With no game to preview this week, I thought we might discuss who's likely to win Friday's semi-final between the Hawks and Bulldogs.

I think it's going to be a contest between Hawthorn's relentlessness, and the Bulldogs' speed and intensity.

The Hawks are currently paying $1.45 to the Bulldogs $2.83, but I think it will be a lot closer than that. Hawthorn won two more games than the Bulldogs throughout the season, but their final percentages were very similar.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was an upset.

Voting with my heart. Doggies will be the Team of Destiny and their midfield will blow the Hawks off the park with ferocity.

Must be a strange week at training not knowing who the opposition will be. The Bulldogs and Hawks are very different sides and will threaten from different places. They get next week to focus I guess.
I dont know who'll win. I tend to rate tradition and in my lifetime you would always back the Hawks to improve with their backs to the wall, which they have for the first time this year.
On the other hand the Bulldogs midfield is awesome.

Must be a strange week at training not knowing who the opposition will be. The Bulldogs and Hawks are very different sides and will threaten from different places. They get next week to focus I guess.
I dont know who'll win. I tend to rate tradition and in my lifetime you would always back the Hawks to improve with their backs to the wall, which they have for the first time this year.
On the other hand the Bulldogs midfield is awesome.
The week off is a massive advantage in modern day footy. That's why a huge majority of times the home prelim team usually wins.

The team get to watch the Hawks v Dogs game really closely.

Imagine this. "Phil you are playing on Gunston or Stringer. Here are some older recorded matches and watch them both closely on the weekend. Enjoy your 2 weeks prep" :)

The week off is a massive advantage in modern day footy. That's why a huge majority of times the home prelim team usually wins.

The team get to watch the Hawks v Dogs game really closely.

Imagine this. "Phil you are playing on Gunston or Stringer. Here are some older recorded matches and watch them both closely on the weekend. Enjoy your 2 weeks prep" :)
Fair comment, there are only two.
On the topic of the defence though I wonder if one on one matchups are the way against the Hawks or the dogs. Neither have really dominant big forwards. Against the Hawks in particular it's the ruckmen drifting forward that provide the contest when they cant find a target, the small forwards mobility is the real threat. I know I beat this drum a lot but Bunts and Kennedy' s speed and ability to win one on one contests would be useful.
How you fit them in I dont know, and I'm definitely ok leaving the team selection to the experts.

Dogs I think are the better team, injury permitting. I thought they gave us a good run in our match at Spotless and could have won with better goal kicking. Their young midfield shows as much promise as ours. Could be the start of a long rivalry.

Hawks have not looked as smooth as previous years, and their forward line is struggling, but they can turn it on when they need to. They probably outplayed Geelong, and IMO should have won. However I can see if we get well on top of them we could run rampant as they have nothing like the midfield power we have.

Both will probably be better than the Swans were. Swans were poor in last year's finals going out in straight sets from fourth. In 2014 they were minor premiers but were smashed by Hawthorn in the GF. Potentially some concerns stacking up that their style of play does not work as well in finals against top line opposition.

Swans need a bag from Buddy to make their forward line work. As a Crows fan I hope that does not happen this week. (As a Crows fan I fully expect that will happen this week...)

I had an interesting chat with a Magpies supporter today.

He'd like to see the Bulldogs win tonight, but thinks Hawthorn will be too good. He also thinks we'd have a better chance against the Bulldogs.

A lot will depend on how the games goes and if there are any fresh injuries for either side. That's one thing we don't have to worry about.

I'm at the G in my Giants gear excited that we might be here in a couple of weeks. Spine tingling

I had an interesting chat with a Magpies supporter today.

He'd like to see the Bulldogs win tonight, but thinks Hawthorn will be too good. He also thinks we'd have a better chance against the Bulldogs.

A lot will depend on how the games goes and if there are any fresh injuries for either side. That's one thing we don't have to worry about.
I dont hink anyone really knows what the Hawks will do. This is their first time this year with their backs to the wall this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have preferred to play the Hawks they look old and busted and I have no doubt we would belt them. The dogs on the other hand I remember our win against them earlier this season and it could have gone either way and they were missing half there team and we were at full strength not confident.

Last edited:
Back