Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

You know, for those who actually watched the game, would be aware that George Hewitt was N Daicos direct opponent. Cool story but
Walsh was TAGGING Daics when Daics got the winner

It's all broken down nicely in that article in The Roar I just posted

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You know, for those who actually watched the game, would be aware that George Hewitt was N Daicos direct opponent. Cool story but
When Daicos gets the ball, he oozes class and composure and places the ball to the advantage of the Pies.
When Walsh gets it, it's a boot down the line.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Walsh is a great player. He works hard, accumulates, and is probably Carlton's best player.
He just doesn't have the same polish and skill. But still an excellent player.

Fair enough but I think that's all very subjective and I don't believe that there is a 'best', there are quite a few extremely good players but putting them up against each other isn't easy. These days when deciding a 'best' people invariably pick midfielders, I don't necessarily agree with that, it's why I no longer take much interest in the Brownlow, it's too midfielder-centric.

I find it easier to name a GOAT and that for me is Ablett Senior, IMO streets ahead of anybody past or present.
hmm streets - he was just a forward really, I think Matthews was for one, better than Ablett, more versatile and greater impact around teh ground as well as in front of goals

hmm streets - he was just a forward really, I think Matthews was for one, better than Ablett, more versatile and greater impact around teh ground as well as in front of goals
Ablett was hardly just a forward. He played midfield a lot in the early parts of his career, kicked 7 goals playing as a wingman one time. Matthews was good and maybe before Ablett was playing could be considered the best. Having seen both of them play at their peak I still have Ablett well ahead of him. He could play anywhere.

I think there is a Carlton poster whose name is literally WalshistheGOAT

Yes because there aren't a small percentage of supporters for each team who inflate the value of their own players. Every club has these people.

You act as if I haven't seen them or their activity on here. If they want to parade around with that user name, good for them. Doesn't exactly mean I or every Carlton supporter agrees with them.

Don't be broad-brushing anyone here.

When Daicos gets the ball, he oozes class and composure and places the ball to the advantage of the Pies.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Walsh is a great player. He works hard, accumulates, and is probably Carlton's best player.
Different players. Why bother comparing them ? Totally different.

The hype?

What the fact that he scored perfect votes in his first season winning the Rising Star.

Second Season - AA rover and leading Brownlow medal before he cracked his knee. Comes back and is instrumental in PF and GF.

Not sure if that’s ‘hype’.

But again all your doing is condoning the slander of Daicos and then crying when a few take a few shots at Walsh’s blemishes.

I don't condone slander. If I did, I'd be joining in. I am better than that.

I am just smart enough to know how it has come about. People such as yourself and the media have done Nick no favours here.

He doesn't deserve the slander, but it is going to come about when players are overhyped and yes it can go beyond any awards he wins (even if they are deserved).

Seems more like you are merely taking the "they have ice cream so why can't I?" path in this situation. Just because you can return serve, doesn't mean it is necessarily the right move.

Perfect votes in the rising star? Please. A bunch or ex-footballers and media personalities with hidden biases. If that is as significant as you make it out to be, then Sam Walsh himself should have ideally had perfect votes as well. He was the clear choice whilst the media kept on talking him down by flip-flopping between whichever flavour of the week (being either Bailey Smith, Sydney Stack or Connor Rozee) deserved it more for just a small patch of games.

Sam Darcy was left having to explain himself. An early reason was thrown around being he didn't to inflate Walsh's ego (which if you ask me if true, is absolutely pathetic). But later on radio tried to talk up Rozee's common "never seen before" first-year.

I don't condone slander. If I did, I'd be joining in. I am better than that.

I am just smart enough to know how it has come about. People such as yourself and the media have done Nick no favours here.

He doesn't deserve the slander, but it is going to come about when players are overhyped and yes it can go beyond any awards he wins (even if they are deserved).

Seems more like you are merely taking the "they have ice cream so why can't I?" path in this situation. Just because you can return serve, doesn't mean it is necessarily the right move.

Perfect votes in the rising star? Please. A bunch or ex-footballers and media personalities with hidden biases. If that is as significant as you make it out to be, then Sam Walsh himself should have ideally had perfect votes as well. He was the clear choice whilst the media kept on talking him down by flip-flopping between whichever flavour of the week (being either Bailey Smith, Sydney Stack or Connor Rozee) deserved it more for just a small patch of games.

Sam Darcy was left having to explain himself. An early reason was thrown around being he didn't to inflate Walsh's ego (which if you ask me if true, is absolutely pathetic). But later on radio tried to talk up Rozee's common "never seen before" first-year.
Nick did his part in dampening the “hype” by missing the last 4 games last year and handing over the Brownlow. What a team orientated guru

I still think that he looked better in a Carlton jumper :tearsofjoy:

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick did his part in dampening the “hype” by missing the last 4 games last year and handing over the Brownlow. What a team orientated guru

Or it could be:

Nick Daicos, sure he is a young superstar. He would have been a clear and worthy 2023 Brownlow medallist had he not get injured.

But can we maybe tone down the greatest player ever talk? Footy shows have already jumped to discussing this. Or have you noticed this small flaw in his game?

Collingwood supporters:
Oh how dare you don't rate him! Daicos is a God. He is better than every player on your list combined. He IS the AFL. Should have probably won 5 brownlows last year. Unveil a statue of him already. Roll out the red carpet. Lockett? The Abletts? Franklin? Modra? They ain't got nothing on him.

Or it could be:

Nick Daicos, sure he is a young superstar. He would have been a clear and worthy 2023 Brownlow medallist had he not get injured.

But can we maybe tone down the greatest player ever talk? Footy shows have already jumped to discussing this. Or have you noticed this small flaw in his game?

Collingwood supporters:
Oh how dare you don't rate him! Daicos is a God. He is better than every player on your list combined. He IS the AFL. Should have probably won 5 brownlows last year. Unveil a statue of him already. Roll out the red carpet. Lockett? The Abletts? Franklin? Modra? They ain't got nothing on him.
Or… a few lunatics that every club has thinks those things and most are just enjoying the son of a club legend making a name for himself. I agree the Daicos for GOAT talk is cringey as heck. As a Modra fan of the 90s I’m impressed you had him in that group of 4. 😂

Well that was disappointing. Picked up where I left off from and the Carlton supporters all started to act and say quite reasonable things. Not at all what I signed up for. :(
Thread works best when we can put aside the hatred (or at least attempt to) and actually try and be objective and not just troll for likes

It is a banter thread, but you can’t cry poor when a few Collingwood have a crack at Walsh.

Read through the last 3 years worth of Carlton/Collingwood threads, and see what Carlton folk have said about Daicos. We are merely amateurs compared to you blokes.
We don’t have a could Walsh be GOAT thread - look inward!

Haha dumps down the line - good lord!

Walsh leads the competition for score involvements per game (9.30 per game) despite just coming back from a back injury. Clearly he is not just booting it down the line. It is possible to hype up Daicos without putting down another player.

Back