Strategy Who takes Christensen's spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, in regards to taking Christensen's spot, I would prefer Lang. He is good in and under, has great foot skills, but also an awesome side-step & crumbing abilities so he can play half a game in the centre & the other half as FWD pocket :D

Yes Cowan, he's a ball magnet! that's when he's going. :(... Hartman has the ability and I hope the physiological hardness to step up to the role.
Lang and Jansen waiting in the wings as well, it's up to them now to forge a career.

Ball magnet mod like fringe flanker at best

Quite seriously racked up some big possession games before going down again. I know it's only VFL, but still!

There is a reason that he is still on the list despite the fact that he has played 6 games at VFL level in the last two years. He is a gun, he just needs to get his body right. I wish we had the footage of his game against Port Melbourne, he was a step above and he looked like he was cruising.

There is a reason that he is still on the list despite the fact that he has played 6 games at VFL level in the last two years. He is a gun, he just needs to get his body right. I wish we had the footage of his game against Port Melbourne, he was a step above and he looked like he was cruising.

Are you talking Cowan? Or am I just over hopeful?

I didn't see the Port game but saw him early in his time on the list (Cowan that is). Looked good.

If it is Cowan can you expand on the v Port effort.

Are you talking Cowan? Or am I just over hopeful?

I didn't see the Port game but saw him early in his time on the list (Cowan that is). Looked good.

If it is Cowan can you expand on the v Port effort.

When the game was on the line in the late quarter(from memory it was a close game, less than two goals in it for most of the last quarter) he was just winning the ball both on the inside and receiving it on the outside, When it was his turn to go for the hard ball he went but he didn't get sucked in, his teammates were passing it when ever he was around, they were looking to pass it off to him. He just kept running all day, his giant mop of hair flying in all directions. When it was his turn to go for the hard ball he went, and showed a good inside-outside balance(something Schroder didn't do) that he was ready to play at the next level. While he isn't as fast as Varcoe he was covering ground is a similar manner, where it doesn't look like he's running at full pace but he is just covering a lot of ground. He looked like he was taking it easy, taking a lot of long strides

While I've talked him up a lot, I'll talk about what he did wrong on the day, his disposal by foot was really off, he missed a lot of targets by foot, if you look at my posts back in 2013, you'll see me say he say that he has terrible disposal, but I don't really think there was anything wrong with his ball drop, and he wasn't displaying poor decision making(A common symptom of VFL standard players is that they are always kicking long to contest as if that absolves them of the responsibility when a turnover occurs). He just wasn't putting enough "force" into his short kicks and they were dropping short all day( a couple of short kicks went out on the full), with a little hindsight on my part I don't think it is something that would be occurring if we was playing regular football, and the conditions at Port Melbourne were not ideal on the day.

In summary he is an inside-outside mid with decent athleticism with suspect disposal who looked like he was AFL standard while playing in the VFL off limited preparation.

Last edited by a moderator:

He probably was cruising,.... him and Menzel are the missing links, I hope he's out there in the NAB. He'll need to be.
My recollections is he's an aerobic freak and would take Varcoe to the cleaners, none of this hands on haunches huffing and puffing. Blitz has said he gave him some curry when his achilles wasn't stopping him. That's how good he goes.

Last edited:
He probably was cruising,.... him and Menzel are the missing links, I hope he's out their in the NAB. He'll need to be.

I hope so too, but I am not relying on them anything we get from them is a bonus in my eyes, too much has gone wrong already.

When the game was on the line in the late quarter(from memory it was a close game, less than two goals in it for most of the last quarter) he was just winning the ball both on the inside and receiving it on the outside, When it was his turn to go for the hard ball he went but he didn't get sucked in, his teammates were passing it when ever he was around, they were looking to pass it off to him. He just kept running all day, his giant mop of hair flying in all directions. When it was his turn to go for the hard ball he went, and showed a good inside-outside balance(something Schroder didn't do) that he was ready to play at the next level. While he isn't as fast as Varcoe he was covering ground is a similar manner, where it doesn't look like he's running at full pace but he is just covering a lot of ground. He looked like he was taking it easy, taking a lot of long strides

While I've talked him up a lot, I'll talk about what he did wrong on the day, his disposal by foot was really off, he missed a lot of targets by foot, if you look at my posts back in 2013, you'll see me say he say that he has terrible disposal, but I don't really think there was anything wrong with his ball drop, and he wasn't displaying poor decision making(A common symptom of VFL standard players is that they are always kicking long to contest as if that absolves them of the responsibility when a turnover occurs). He just wasn't putting enough "force" into his short kicks and they were dropping short all day( a couple of short kicks went out on the full), with a little hindsight on my part I don't think it is something that would be occurring if we was playing regular football, and the conditions at Port Melbourne were not ideal on the day.

In summary he is an inside-outside mid with decent athleticism with suspect disposal who looked like he was AFL standard while playing in the VFL off limited preparation.

Hey size font change ..OSX? Safarri? Only started happening to me when I fired up Mavericks?

Anyway... can Cowan really bring home the bacon? Its almost been that long that it would be very few outside the club that would have any confidence in him. Your obviously one. That he is still at the club after not playing when other that have played are gone seems converse to me.

Maybe he's lost it?...is he restricted when running, jumping?... Dunno! but really hope all is well from now on.

Hey size font change ..OSX? Safarri? Only started happening to me when I fired up Mavericks?

Anyway... can Cowan really bring home the bacon? Its almost been that long that it would be very few outside the club that would have any confidence in him. Your obviously one. That he is still at the club after not playing when other that have played are gone seems converse to me.

Chrome, it seems to mess up when I change a word on spell checker, It doesn't always fix itself when I change the font using the inbuilt font changer

I believe he can make the step up, and considering our delistments, if he is fit he will get game time this year. I am going to vocally support him at this early stage, if it comes off It looks like I have some insight, if I get it wrong who's going to hold it against me;).

Put Cowan in your SC team.

Last edited by a moderator:

The font changes in my posts if I mash a few keys together by mistake. I normally finish typing, hit "select all" and make the whole post a font size 3. It's a little off but close enough.

I thought 10lana was trying to downplay the negative aspects of Cowan's game. :)

Its been so long since I've seen him play that I've forgotten what he played like. :(

Turbo, I think that both Cowan and Menzel have both shown the club that they have talent at the high end of the scale. In both cases, the club's doctors and medical experts have said their injuries were repairable and, in both cases, genetic issues have now been modified - with Cowan's Achilles and Menzel's knee structure.

I think 2015 is the last chance for these two. I really hope it's a big year and that their patience- and that of the club- is rewarded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chrome, it seems to mess up when I change a word on spell checker, It doesn't always fix itself when I change the font using the inbuilt font changer

I believe he can make the step up, and considering our delistments, if he is fit he will get game time this year. I am going to vocally support him at this early stage, if it comes off It looks like I have some insight, if I get it wrong who's going to hold it against me;).

I'm jumping on your bandwagon, 10lana. Do I need a seatbelt?

I like your thoughts on Josh 10lana. Agree with everything you say as he's definitely got oodles of potential. I kind of bracket him in the same class as McCarthy, guys who have not done anything but from the very limited exposure we've seen, it's clear they are a little different than your ordinary draftee.

Cowan fit and healthy, along with Vardy, will be like obtaining two ready-made first round draft picks.
Even better, Bobby- because they've been in the system since 2009, they'll have 5 years of GFC tactics and knowledge stored in their brain. They just need to put it into practice!

You're traveling on a dangerous road, I am not sure where it will take you but it's important to be ready foll all contingencies.

Hopeful it doesn't involve a trip to the hospital for anyone involved.

Lol. I'm wondering what you're going to do with the lipstick and stockings! ;)

I am sure that, if the boys can get their individual bodies right, it'll be well worth waiting for. We can't expect them to be stars in their first year after being out for so long but the signs should be there.
I'm excited!!

He probably was cruising,.... him and Menzel are the missing links, I hope he's out there in the NAB. He'll need to be.
My recollections is he's an aerobic freak and would take Varcoe to the cleaners, none of this hands on haunches huffing and puffing. Blitz has said he gave him some curry when his achilles wasn't stopping him. That's how good he goes.

Do I groan now, or later?

For goodness sake meto….give up on the Varcoe references. It just diminishes your argument…

Thanks 10lana.
I saw him (as I have said a few times ) in a 2011 NAB cup game (not televised) v Carlton early on in his stint and just before injury struck him.
Against a quality midfield with Gibbs, Judd etc (Murphy did not play) Cowan was quite effective. Its hard to forget and let go when you see the ability on display that day. He didn't do the speccy stuff just a few in and unders and some gut running to link especially in the last quarter ( Geelong were 20 pts down at 3/4 time and won by about 2goals). Cowan WAS in my SC team in 2011 he can go straight back on the bench if he reaches round 1 fully fit.

Cowan should be our best hope among the injury prone players to get to full fitness. His achilles problems haven't re-occurred. Just soft tissue.

[I hope that last line doesn't put the mockers on him]

Thanks 10lana.
I saw him (as I have said a few times ) in a 2011 NAB cup game (not televised) v Carlton early on in his stint and just before injury struck him.
Against a quality midfield with Gibbs, Judd etc (Murphy did not play) Cowan was quite effective. Its hard to forget and let go when you see the ability on display that day. He didn't do the speccy stuff just a few in and unders and some gut running to link especially in the last quarter ( Geelong were 20 pts down at 3/4 time and won by about 2goals). Cowan WAS in my SC team in 2011 he can go straight back on the bench if he reaches round 1 fully fit.

Cowan should be our best hope among the injury prone players to get to full fitness. His achilles problems haven't re-occurred. Just soft tissue.

[I hope that last line doesn't put the mockers on him]

If Josh can get right, he will be a great help in the clearances. He just goes and gets it.

His time in now regardless.

GO Catters

Do I groan now, or later?

For goodness sake meto….give up on the Varcoe references. It just diminishes your argument…

OK, but that other person happened to make a comparison, all I did was correct it somewhat. No offence, just don't think Josh in any way gives up anything by comparison apart from durability.

Lol. I'm wondering what you're going to do with the lipstick and stockings! ;)

I am sure that, if the boys can get their individual bodies right, it'll be well worth waiting for. We can't expect them to be stars in their first year after being out for so long but the signs should be there.
I'm excited!!

Our list has got me excited as well, they've really made wholesale changes and the potential at least to me looks potent, beyond anything I've seen since the retirements of Ottens, Scarlett etc.
Josh is one forgotten extra we might add, but I worry for Menz.
Cheers TC.

Cowan fit and healthy will be like a first round draft pick?
Really?
Wowee.

Pick 56 in a draft and he has shown very little.
Shouldn't even be on the list with his injuries. He's got 1 year to get fit and perform or he is gone.

Cowan fit and healthy will be like a first round draft pick?
Really?
Wowee.

Pick 56 in a draft and he has shown very little.
Shouldn't even be on the list with his injuries. He's got 1 year to get fit and perform or he is gone.
He'll be like a new recruit though, will be nice to see what he looks like;):D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back