Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got no idea how the transition would look like from Netball at the highest level to footy at the highest level.

One advantage is that our assistants would be highly empowered.

I wonder if it would work best if a female was given her own team (eg: VFL). That would put her in a position to drive culture (which in my own experience women tend to be generally better at) and it reduces the risk of bashing heads against established ‘boys clubs’.

We do have a female coach for our VFL girls, and as you know 76 they are playing in the Granny this weekend!

My interest in this discussion is not about wanting a female coach to address a gender issue at the club. That’s another discussion.

It’s about the potential input of an outstanding coach from another discipline, if such a person was available and could be accommodated in our cap.

Re bashing heads with the ‘boys club’ - bring it on! I hope our new senior coach will do that anyway.

We do have a female coach for our VFL girls, and as you know 76 they are playing in the Granny this weekend!

Indeed, go pies!

My interest in this discussion is not about wanting a female coach to address a gender issue at the club. That’s another discussion.

Me neither.

My interest in a female coach is if they could do the job better.

I think if we look at coaching credentials beyond how well they played footy at the top level, and instead considered wider factors such as ability to communicate, emotional intelligence, soft management skills, then we’re going beyond “best man for the job” thinking.

It’s about the potential input of an outstanding coach from another discipline, if such a person was available and could be accommodated in our cap.

Yeah agree

Re bashing heads with the ‘boys club’ - bring it on! I hope our new senior coach will do that anyway.

👍

Last edited:
Indeed, go pies!

Me neither.

My interest in a female coach is if they could do the job better.

I think if we looking at coaching credentials beyond how well the played footy at the top level, and instead considered wider factors such as ability to communicate, emotional intelligence, soft management skills, then we’re going beyond “best man for the job” thinking.

Yeah agree

👍

We are in heated agreement 76😊

AFL website

FORMER Australian netball coach Lisa Alexander is confident she would be up to the job of leading Collingwood's men's team despite her lack of experience in the AFL.
The Magpies are hunting for a successor to Nathan Buckley after the favourite son parted ways with the club in June.
MAYNE EVENT CLOSES Magpie to call it quits at season's end
Alexander was knocked back for the North Melbourne coaching position last year, eventually filled by David Noble, but remains unperturbed in her desire to move into AFL ranks.
She explained good coaches can transcend sport and is certain outgoing Hawthorn mentor Alastair Clarkson has used strategies from other sports in his time with the Hawks.

"I can tell you Clarkson has definitely used basketball views and techniques around area defence, which everyone has to do," Alexander said.
"I know there is an applicability between netball and football.
"And having grown up playing and watching football myself, I am embedded in the game.
"I don't see that as a barrier for me to be able to coach Collingwood."
Alexander coached the Diamonds from 2011 until March last year, when her contract was not renewed by Netball Australia, despite boasting an 81 per cent winning record.
afl-logo.svg

In a wide-ranging interview on Wednesday, Alexander expressed her disappointment in the fact there will be no female coaches in the AFLW next year.
Former St Kilda and North Melbourne champion Nick Dal Santo was on Monday announced as the Saints' new AFLW coach, replacing Peta Searle.
"The AFL are not doing enough. They almost need to bring in a quota system to actually force the clubs to put in women head coaches for the AFLW," Alexander said.
"Because if you don't do that then clubs will continue making excuses after excuses.
"It happens in corporate Australia, it happens in our political area and only 10 per cent of our Olympic coaches are women.
"The old boys' network is working overtime and you can see that from the outside because that's how it operates."
Sorry but this really irks me. Not because she’s female, but because she’s suggesting quotas based on gender when there simply aren’t enough women who have the experience to take on a head coaching role in the AFL. The fact she thinks she’s qualified herself to coach an a professional football side with zero experience in the sport is actually insulting to all the men and women in the industry who have actually done the hard yards and worked their way through the Aussie rules coaching ranks for years to get their chance, regardless of whether they’ve played at the top level or not.

Sorry but this really irks me. Not because she’s female, but because she’s suggesting quotas based on gender when there simply aren’t enough women who have the experience to take on a head coaching role in the AFL. The fact she thinks she’s qualified herself to coach an a professional football side with zero experience in the sport is actually insulting to all the men and women in the industry who have actually done the hard yards and worked their way through the Aussie rules coaching ranks for years to get their chance, regardless of whether they’ve played at the top level or not.
Got to agree.
She lost me at quotas.
I still think elite coaching skills are transferable.
I don't think afl is that special but I started to think she is stirring the pot for PC reasons

100%

Got to agree.
She lost me at quotas.
I still think elite coaching skills are transferable.
I don't think afl is that special but I started to think she is stirring the pot for PC reasons
She can start at an AFLW side or VFL side, certainly not AFL. I don't care how elite she is in another sport.

What is all this “putting your hand up” bullshit anyway? Did they advertise the Collingwood senior coaching position in The Age or something? If so, send in your CV and wait for a call. If not, and you’re not one of the 92 or so in consideration, get back to watching MAFS or whatever you were doing during the last lockdown, your input is not required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the media hounds are saying WE WILL NOT GET CLARKSON HE IS NOT INTERESTED IN THE PIES !

Oh well we may as well be the first silly footy club to appoint a Sheila as our main senior coach cos thats what this club has become A BUNCH OF SHEILAS
What's wrong with a bunch of sheilas?

She can start at an AFLW side or VFL side, certainly not AFL. I don't care how elite she is in another sport.

Agree completely. And I’m not being sexist thinking that..., I’m just footballist!!!!! If you want to be a football coach bring some football credentials.

What is all this “putting your hand up” bullshit anyway? Did they advertise the Collingwood senior coaching position in The Age or something? If so, send in your CV and wait for a call. If not, and you’re not one of the 92 or so in consideration, get back to watching MAFS or whatever you were doing during the last lockdown, your input is not required.
Gee, one of our posters might think you're talking to him.

Agree completely. And I’m not being sexist thinking that..., I’m just footballist!!!!! If you want to be a football coach bring some football credentials.

Hah! One of our board members is a big Ted Lasso fan (true) …

Time for us not to be so narrow minded, that’s why Collingwood continues to fall apart at the last fence time after time, a great coach doesn’t have to have played, the support coaches can fill that, we need a leader, an inspirer, someone who can truly instill a culture of team and winning and achieving their potential. Lisa Alexandra is a great leader, highly successful, she actually wouldn’t be a playing coach, who says she has to have played or done the hard yards like many, that doesn’t guarantee them a position (like the public service) Look at the Olympic, so many of our girls have stood out and got the chocolates, they have dominated, some with female coaches. Time fir fresh thinking, not just same as, same as. Otherwise nothing much with change for us long suffering Pies supporters, I should know, I started in 1958. My god all those finals in 70’s and 80’s, I have shed many tears 😭

Time for us not to be so narrow minded, that’s why Collingwood continues to fall apart at the last fence time after time, a great coach doesn’t have to have played, the support coaches can fill that, we need a leader, an inspirer, someone who can truly instill a culture of team and winning and achieving their potential. Lisa Alexandra is a great leader, highly successful, she actually wouldn’t be a playing coach, who says she has to have played or done the hard yards like many, that doesn’t guarantee them a position (like the public service) Look at the Olympic, so many of our girls have stood out and got the chocolates, they have dominated, some with female coaches. Time fir fresh thinking, not just same as, same as. Otherwise nothing much with change for us long suffering Pies supporters, I should know, I started in 1958. My god all those finals in 70’s and 80’s, I have shed many tears 😭
There’s nothing narrow minded about wanting a prospective coach to actually have experience coaching the sport they’re putting their hand up for, and it has nothing to do with gender!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back